Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gears of War 3

Gears of War 3 (Page 2)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 29, 2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
Anyone want to meet up for some horde/beast/campaign tomorrow? I should be on around 7 EST and after
The weekend of a limited time beta? Really?

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 29, 2011, 12:24 PM

I'm down for beta action too

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 29, 2011, 12:25 PM

I'm up to do whatever with Gears after the beta. I suppose you may see my around Gears this weekend if I'm stuck playing BF3 solo too much or I just flat out hate it.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2011, 03:15 PM

What beta? I'll probably be on Gears tonight looking for Beast/Horde.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2011, 11:58 AM

I hopped onto multiplayer TDM this last weekend, and I've gotta say...hated it. I've only put about an hour into the single-player, and I had a good time with it, but the multiplayer just doesn't do it for me. I have yet to dabble in co-op or hoard mode, however.

The aiming is finicky at best, and the shotguns...good god, the freaking shotguns...

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 4, 2011, 12:03 PM

I have no idea how I played so much Gears 2 multi. Then again, that was before I had been introduced to CoD4.

The savants on there have to be by far the most annoying people in multiplayer gaming. I'm fine with Horde and Beast, where I paradoxically can lead rounds quite often.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 4, 2011, 12:06 PM

Speaking of Gears, this disgusts me: Xbox Live's Major Nelson � Gears of War 3 Horde Command Pack Available Nov. 1
New fortification upgrades:

Command Center – A brand new type of fortification that allows you to call in fire support from sniper teams, mortar strikes and even multiple Hammers of Dawn.
Decoy Upgrade – A new fortification level that turns your decoy into an Onyx Guard bot that will fight in your defense.
Sentry Upgrade – This upgrade adds a fire bolt sentry that deals much more damage and is very effective against Berserkers.
Silverback Upgrade – This advancement allows you to upgrade your Silverback exo-suit with devastating rockets and extra levels of repair cost reduction.
All the online titles talk about how adding weapons as DLC is unbalanced (Creating haves and have-nots) but that's exactly what they're doing here.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2011, 06:31 PM

Yeah that pisses me off, and I refuse to buy it. But it's going to make finding Horde matches online even harder (since I won't have the new maps).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 4, 2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Yeah that pisses me off, and I refuse to buy it. But it's going to make finding Horde matches online even harder (since I won't have the new maps).
I wonder how that will work. Titles like call of duty are smart enough to not give teams a choice of newer maps if the someone in the lobby doesn't have the DLC, but I've been booted from other games because the wrong map has come up. Guess it depends on how lazy the developers are.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 5, 2011, 06:12 PM

Gears of War 3 'Horde Command Pack' gets defensive Nov. 1 [update] | Joystiq
Questions regarding DLC compatibility:

Will those with "Horde Command" pack be able to play with those who did not purchase DLC?

"Yes, players without the new content can still play with players that have it. In fact, they can even play together on the new maps if the player who purchased the Horde Command Pack hosts the game. Even though players can play together, players without the Horde Command Pack cannot build beyond the current fortification level caps."

Does the person with the Horde Command Pack have to initiate the first creation to upgrade the decoy, sentry, Silverback to its highest level?

"The player with the Horde Command Pack is the only one that can build beyond the current fortification levels, but are not required to start the building at lower levels."

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2011, 01:39 AM

Interesting. So you can play the new maps, but can't build past the current fortification levels as lost as the host has the DLC. Guess I'll host if we all meet up soon since I have the season pass.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2011, 10:14 AM

Finally managed to finish off the campaign this week (thank you stogie). Some impressions:

Probably the best campaign. Particularly the first half of Act 3, which is just a torrent of killing with weapons that either have limitless ammo or are super powerful. The drwback, however, is this game has the most numerous and intrusive cut scenes of the three (as far as I can remember). Cut scenes, leading to a short non-combatative action, leading to a cut-scene. Awful, and really kills the immersion.

As far as the plot is concerned, this one was straightforward – so straightforward that the campaign almost seems short in comparison to Gears 2. Gears to was a writhing mess "Oh ****, now we need to go do this because this happened" whereas 3 felt more like one long journey towards an over-arching goal. Which is refreshing.

Still, a few comments:

The campaign being 4 player co-op – it should have always been like this. It feels much more like war. Gears 2 I remember skulking around with two guys, splitting up, it felt too isolated and heavy. Now with 4 to 6 people traveling with you at all times, that felt really great.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2011, 12:01 PM

Oh, i forgot to mention, the EPIC guys outdid themselves, and when I did the "Mute Strangers" option it muted me as well, and now I can't unmute myself. Doesn't effect me, technically, but I know look muted in every game (x'd out mic icon) which is very annoying.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2011, 08:50 PM

I had two big complaints with the campaign. The first was that there were way too many moments where you walked around with no combat and just a voiceover. Loading the game just to walk from A to B seemed pointless, and I wish those moments had just been cutscenes (but then more than half the game would be cutscenes). The second was that there were too many menial tasks that felt tacked on to make the game longer. This was especially evident towards the end, when you're breaking into the room to get your dad, and you find out you have to go into both side rooms to flip a switch. It was so random and stupid, that me and my co-op partner just started laughing.

Also, there's the fact that overall the story is one giant walking cliche. But it's fun, and I'm having a blast with Horde mode.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2011, 09:57 PM

You gotta admit, the lambent Berserker was bad ass!

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2011, 10:08 PM

New SP Campaign Titled "RAAM'S Shadow" to hit marketplace on Dec 13

Starring a cast of characters both new and eerily familiar to the series, “RAAM’s Shadow” will deliver more than three hours of gameplay set in a storyline that precedes the events of the first “Gears of War,” as well as six new multiplayer characters, the Chocolate Weapon Set and an additional 250 Gamerscore.
RAAM’s Shadow pits players in post-Emergence Day Sera "as Zeta Squad is enlisted to evacuate Ilima City and protect the citizens against a Locust Kryll storm," taking on the titular General RAAM, as well as playing as him yourself.
RAAM’s imposing size and strength, along with his Kryll shield, make him one of the most powerful and daunting foes in the ‘Gears’ universe. We think fans are going to have a blast unleashing hell upon the poor humans for the first time in a campaign setting.
A mini prequel game? Didn't expect that.

It'll run ya 1200 M$ points if you didn't buy the season pass.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
You gotta admit, the lambent Berserker was bad ass!
It was pretty difficult even on normal. I can't wait to get to that part again on insane.

I think the armored kantuses (kantii?) are more difficult, though.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2011, 08:54 AM

I thought it was annoying as hell. Mostly because as jokell noted, it took forever on normal. Not sure I'd call it difficult as much as mind-numbing/time-consuming.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2011, 12:42 PM

That's why you gotta get the mutators and play it on insane in arcade. Earn unlimited ammo and super reload mutators first and it should be fairly easy to beat. That or play with someone who has the mutators like Stogie and myself. The super reload mutator will make the bullets in your clip 10x stronger when performing a perfect reload and will give you an extra clip. Enemies fall fast with this even on insane. Here are a list of mutators and what you have to do to get them...

Big Head: In Horde Mode, unlock the Gold Horder medal. Unlock this medal by completeing 1,000 waves.
Pinata: In Beast Mode, unlock the Gold Investor medal. Unlock this medal by collecting 500,000 tokens.
Headless Chicken: Available at start.
Laugh Track: Unlock the Bronze Tour of Duty, For the Horde, I’m a Beast, and Warmonger medals. Unlock Tour of Duty by completing the Campaign mode on casual. Unlock For the Horde by completing all 50 waves on casual. Unlock I’m a Beast by completing every wave without failing on casual. Unlock Warmonger by completing Arcade mode on casual.
Flower Blood: In Arcade Mode, unlock the Silver King of Cog medal. To unlock this medal, earn 2 million points in Arcade Mode.
Comet: In Versus Mode, unlock the Gold Shock Trooper medal. Unlock the First Blood ribbon 1,000 times. To unlock the First Blood ribbon, get the first kill in a round.
No Ammo Pick-ups: Available at start.
Super Reload: In Versus Mode, unlock the Bronze Master at Arms medal. Unlock this medal by scoring 100 kills with all five of the starting primary and secondary weapons.
Infinite Ammo: In Horde Mode, unlock the Combat Engineer ribbon 100 times. During a round build, repair, or upgrade five fortifications to unlock this ribbon.
Enemy Regeneration: In Arcade Mode, unlock the Silver Afficianado medal. To unlock this medal, play 150 chapters in Arcade mode.
Vampire: In Versus Mode, unlock the Executioner ribbon 100 times. To unlock this ribbon, score the most executions in a round online.
Instagib Melee: In Beast Mode, play as a Wretch and score 200 kills.
Big Explosions: In any mode, unlock the Hail Mary ribbon 100 times. To unlock this ribbon, use the Boomshot and score kills from over 200ft.
Must Active Reload: Unlock the Silver Active Reloader medal. To get this medal, perform 2,500 perfect reloads.
Friendly Fire: In Co-op Campaign, complete the co-op campaign with four players.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
It was pretty difficult even on normal. I can't wait to get to that part again on insane.

I think the armored kantuses (kantii?) are more difficult, though.
An armored Kantus can be taken out with one shot from sniper rifle. Shoot him in the mouth when he screams. Or you can cheat by using the Instagib Melee mutator.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I thought it was annoying as hell. Mostly because as jokell noted, it took forever on normal. Not sure I'd call it difficult as much as mind-numbing/time-consuming.
The worst is when that damn thing comes up as a boss in Horde. I was on Gridlock yesterday, and that happened to us. The thing ended up killing everyone but me. I had a scorcher and was trying to chip away at its health, but it takes forever to kill. I ended up taking it down because it got trapped in a corner with it's weak point exposed, and I was able to empty out my scorcher twice, then unload about 300 rounds from my lancer before it finally died.

That was after 5 of us had fought it for about 10 minutes.

Those things are ridiculous.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
An armored Kantus can be taken out with one shot from sniper rifle. Shoot him in the mouth when he screams. Or you can cheat by using the Instagib Melee mutator.
Did not know that. I thought you had to use explosives.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2011, 01:24 PM

Yeah, I'm still on the fence about the Horde boss battles. I like the concept but most of the time it's this long endless fight. I got real irritated when I noticed the freaking Hammer of Dawn was worthless on the bosses.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
That's why you gotta get the mutators and play it on insane in arcade. Earn unlimited ammo and super reload mutators first and it should be fairly easy to beat.
That strikes me as completely missing the point. Sure using mutators can be fun – but if a stock campaign event is annoying, you've screwed up.

Anyway, I jumped into a few lobbies of campaign this weekend. The amount of people using that super reload was annoying. And they would just crush everyone else in the lobby. It seemed one they got out to a lead they were impossible to catch.

Also: Campaign should use your multiplayer weapon settings. It's both inexplicable and an embarrassment that half the lobby has to start with hammerbursts, which are useless and underpowered (when it comes to melee).

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2011, 02:17 PM

That strikes me as completely missing the point. Sure using mutators can be fun – but if a stock campaign event is annoying, you've screwed up.

Anyway, I jumped into a few lobbies of campaign this weekend. The amount of people using that super reload was annoying. And they would just crush everyone else in the lobby. It seemed one they got out to a lead they were impossible to catch.

Also: Campaign should use your multiplayer weapon settings. It's both inexplicable and an embarrassment that half the lobby has to start with hammerbursts, which are useless and underpowered (when it comes to melee).
That was a source of much frustration for me when playing arcade campaign on insane. Since I was Dom if I ever died my default weapons would come back, and the hammer burst SUCKS as a primary weapon (although I do like it as a secondary weapon as it has pretty decent range).

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2011, 03:42 PM

Yeah, every time I got stuck with the Hammer Burst I would just switch weapons with one of the AI characters that had a Lancer. BTW, shotgun kills in Gears of War are still the most visually satisfying kills in gaming history.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2011, 04:04 PM

Yeah, every time I got stuck with the Hammer Burst I would just switch weapons with one of the AI characters that had a Lancer.
I never saw the prompts other than ammo switches with live teammates.

BTW, shotgun kills in Gears of War are still the most visually satisfying kills in gaming history.
Only reason I played Gears 2 to death.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2011, 06:29 PM

First DLC pack came out yesterday. About to download it. Stogie, you down tonight? 9pm

Also, it looks like they have double XP now through Nov 14!

Nice!

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2011, 08:38 PM

Anyone down for some Horde this week? I've been playing like crazy but can never seem to find a game where 5 people stay past level 20. Really would like to get through all 50 levels.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2011, 01:51 AM

I'm down. I'm usually on at around 9pm pacific time if that works for you.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2011, 06:18 PM

I've got to be up for work 5 hours after that, so probably not going to work. Ah well.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 7, 2011, 06:37 PM

West Coast? More like Worst Coast, amirite?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2011, 06:41 PM

Heyooo!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 7, 2011, 06:44 PM

East Coast? More liek Beast Coast! Woohoo!

(I apologize, but I won't be joining you. Gears' star faded fast and was to tide me over til FPS orgy time)

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2011, 08:51 PM

West Coast? More like Worst Coast, amirite?
West coast servers are going to pwn you on MW3 tomorrow.

(I was going to post the original troll face but I like this one better.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules