Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Einstein Beta Apps

Einstein Beta Apps
arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2006, 04:50 PM

Einstein has a beta worker page that has the latest workers that usually show a boost in speed, the PPC beta seems to only do better on G4's but it works great on my eMac 1.25.

They just released a new beta for windows and I will have it installed on my 2 machines here in a minute or so.

http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/app_test.php

arkayn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2006, 09:55 PM

New beta released that fixes the problems with G5's and early G4's.

http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/forum_thread.php?id=4354

I will install it here in a minute on my machine.

dwaring
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2006, 11:56 AM

I'm curious, is there no one who's actually interested in further optimising the PPC-based Einstein client as they were with Seti....?

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2006, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Elphidieus
I'm curious, is there no one who's actually interested in further optimising the PPC-based Einstein client as they were with Seti....?
The Einstein code is not public the way the SETI code is. Therefore all optimizations must be done in house by the project team. They have done a good job on optimizing the Mac clients with their limited resources.

arkayn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2006, 10:38 PM

Very nice job, it looks like I will be taking about 4 hours to process my next 2 units with the new beta.

arkayn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2006, 05:27 PM

Looks like I lost about 42 posts due to the corruption of the database.

The posts are there, but I do not have credit for them.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 14, 2006, 10:29 PM

They will come back to your total after a vBB recount is done. The staff is hoping to recover more user data before doing that.

Only people who registered after March 30 won't automatically get their posts back. See the Announcement for details - such people currently show as unregistered guests. All such people should reregister with the same names. In theory, if they all reregistered, their posts could be found & relinked to their user accounts. In practice, vBB doesn't have a utility to do this.
( Last edited by reader50; Jun 14, 2006 at 10:35 PM. )

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2006, 09:55 AM

For what it's worth to those of you with an old iMac sitting on the back shelf... My G3 iMac 333 MHz was getting around 26 credits per day (86400 cpu-secs) or 3323 secs/credit. When Seti-Enhanced came along, it changed to 160,000 secs for 60 credits, or 2667 secs/credit. I tried the latest Einstein client on it and shifted my shares to primarily run Einstein. Einstein gives me on average 47 credits for 63,000 secs, or 1340 secs/credit, which is trice as much credit as it gets under Seti. I know 60+ credits per day is nothing to brag about, but the old machine is still useful and keeps right on crunching.

My G4 1.33 GHz iBook gets 63 credits for 22,000 cpu secs on SET (349 sec/credit)I, and 59 credits for 12,200 cpu secs on Einstein (207 sec/credit) - both clients being the latest available enhanced ones.

beadman

Knightrider
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2006, 04:55 AM

Whilst I welcome an improved worker, I notice that the credits are now effectively producing a 'level playing-field' . The slower you produce a result the more credit you get and the faster you produce a result the less credit you get. This will make the stats otiose (look it up ).

A wu of 4,540.41 seconds produces a credit of 12.35 whilst a wu of 15,099.55 seconds gives credit of 41.07, however because of the quorum it only gets 27.05

It seems to me that whatever you do for Einstein at present, you will now remain at or about the same place on the stats. You will only improve your stats position in future by increasing CPU's, not by performance. But hey, we are only in it for the Science right?

K.

arkayn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2006, 06:36 AM

Of course they are now rolling out new work units that will require another worker.

arkayn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2006, 05:37 PM

I had to remove the app_info.xml file as all 3 of my computers were ready for the new Einstein Series 5.

Forum Links
Forum Rules