Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G4 grey screen

iMac G4 grey screen
Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2008, 02:12 PM

I'm looking at an iMac G4. When I got it it wouldn't boot, it chimes but sticks on a blank grey screen.

I hauled the drive out and it was corrupted (got most of the data off) so I put a new 160Gb drive in.

Unfortunately it still won't boot. It just hangs after chime on a grey screen. I know the drive doesn't have a system on it yet but it won't boot into FW target mode, single user boot.

I'm guessing it's actually a logic board fault?

Any ideas?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 24, 2008, 02:38 PM

Have you got the master & slave configured correctly? Does it do anything more with NO drives attached?

Andrew Stephens  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2008, 06:02 PM

The new drive was set to cable select but I've hoiked it out and set it to master. Not checked the cd drive, I assume it will be set to slave but I guess it can't hurt to check. Might just pull the ide bus and try to boot from a fw drive just to eliminate things.

Andrew Stephens  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2008, 02:49 AM

OK with no drives attached it's still a grey screen. Attached a fw dvd drive to boot from but nothing.
So it's checking RAM etc and giving a chime but not getting as far as checking for a system disk.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2008, 03:03 AM

Strange. What about holding down T at boot to try target disk mode?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Andrew Stephens  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2008, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
OK with no drives attached it's still a grey screen. Attached a fw dvd drive to boot from but nothing.
So it's checking RAM etc and giving a chime but not getting as far as checking for a system disk.
update: When I originally popped the case the TDMS cable fell out of the connector on the motherboard. The cable should be firmly attached and when I put it back in its very wobbly. May be this? Will try connecting to second monitor. mIght have been starting after all but not displaying.

HWgeek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2009, 01:29 PM

Did the cable repair work??

Andrew Stephens  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2009, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by HWgeek View Post
Did the cable repair work??
Nope. I attached an external screen and it started fine. Must have been a fault in the TDMS cable somewhere. Customer was happy to have it back to use with a small external screen as a print server.

Forum Links
Forum Rules