Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > AOL address book export

AOL address book export
Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2008, 02:09 PM

Has anyone EVER managed to do this successfully? I'm drawing a big fat blank here.

Cold Warrior
Dec 7, 2008, 02:16 PM

AOL isn't OS X. I've moved this to Applications, which is the better fit.

Andrew Stephens  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2008, 05:10 PM

hee hee. Where there's a will there's a way!!

Found a few hugely complex attempts that seemed to not work more than work. But this simple three stage process worked for me

1) Register and set up an account (free) with Plaxo

2) Import AOL contacts into Plaxo contacts.

3) Export Plaxo contacts as a csv file

That's it.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2008, 06:04 PM

AOL Service Assistant is generally highly regarded and does what you seek. See http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26193

My experience, as I recall, resulted in several duplicates being imported, but that was easily resolved.

Please note that Service Assistant is now a bit old, so how well it works with your OSX bears watching (IMNHO). Still, if you have a verified backup, it is probably worth a try, even if a bit a tweaking is required.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Andrew Stephens  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2008, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by pendragon View Post
AOL Service Assistant is generally highly regarded and does what you seek. See http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26193

My experience, as I recall, resulted in several duplicates being imported, but that was easily resolved.

Please note that Service Assistant is now a bit old, so how well it works with your OSX bears watching (IMNHO). Still, if you have a verified backup, it is probably worth a try, even if a bit a tweaking is required.
Sadly AOL have borked that app with the last update they did. It no longer connects to AOL accounts.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2008, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the update Andrew. Indeed I shall henceforth refrain from recommending Service Assistant.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Forum Links
Forum Rules