Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iMac freezes after upgrade from OS 10.14.5 to 10.14.6

iMac freezes after upgrade from OS 10.14.5 to 10.14.6
jretzner
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2019, 12:33 AM

When my circa 2014 21" iMac goes into sleep mode, and has been asleep for 1-2 hours, it does not wake by touching a key or touchpad as it used to before I upgraded from 10.14.5 to 10.14.6. I do a hard restart and it takes about one minute before actually happening. That did not happen before I upgraded. Can anyone offer a solution? Thanks!

reader50
Administrator
Aug 3, 2019, 01:16 AM

Hit Software Update and get the 10.14.6 Supplemental Update. It addresses sleep issues, particularly wake-from-sleep issues.

jretzner  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2019, 04:28 PM

Thank you! I downloaded the supplemental OS 10.14.6 it took several hard-restarts for this Mac to finally come out of its sleep mode by using a keyboard key or touchpad. That has now been working well for the last 48 hours. Applications like Photoshop CS6 and Word 16.16.12 seem to be launching more quickly as well. Because this is 21" iMac I was told it cannot have more RAM (now at 8Gigs) installed. The brand new 21" iMacs on the Apple website offer only 8 Gigs as well. This might be the wrong forum to ask, but is there any way my current (4-year-old 21") iMac have it RAM increased? It's doable for 27" iMacs of the same age. I ask as I hope to keep using my 4-year-old iMac). Thanks again for your help. You were right-on-the-money.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 5, 2019, 05:53 PM

Sounds like you have a 2015 iMac, 21.5-inch display. Available in Retina and non-Retina versions.

The answer is the same for both versions though - the RAM chips are soldered to the logic board. No slots to upgrade. In theory a repair shop could desolder and replace the RAM chips individually. Probably cost more than the machine is worth today.

Among the various 21.5 models, RAM slots are present up through 2013, and reappear in 2017. 2014-2015 models were soldered. Thanks, Apple.

Forum Links
Forum Rules