Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 23" Cinema Display ON WINDOWS XP

23" Cinema Display ON WINDOWS XP
Finch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2003, 02:04 PM

I been doing research for about 5 days now. So far I hear that ATI Radeon 9700 pro is the best selection to support PC USERS running Windows XP. The main problem is that it doesnt work while boot up. The reason why? I have no Idea.
I also have heard that some Nvida Cards can support it but not at their native resolution unless you downlowd powerstrip. But once Powerstrip has been downloaded you are able to see the boot up screen.

Please give me your inputs on which might be the better or more compatable card for PC systems that are running under windows XP.

If any PC users out there have or are going through the same type of problem im going through please let me know how well you got your 23" Display to work.
EightMinutesUpSideDown

videian28
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 03:21 PM

I hooked my fathers pc to his 23" apple display, yes, you could not see the boot up screen, other than that he was very happy. not sure why it works that way, but it is windows..

(the 23" display was the first move to a full switcher, mark my words!)

osxisfun
Sep 9, 2003, 03:56 PM

powerstrip lets me see and use the apple 20" lcd on my peeceee.my peecee has an off brand nvidia ti 4200 agp 8x.

i also own the compuable adc and use it to switch between heaven and hell(xp)

Finch  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2003, 12:12 PM

see i heard after 6-8 months or so after not seeing the boot up screen apple cinema display will actually BREAK! lots of people have this problem on the offical apple forum. many complain that they start to see weird blue gree lines on their screen, flashing back lights, flickering lights and all sorts of stuff. I dont want to fall into that category. I paid 2149.98 for my HD 23" screen at Frys Electronics and I WANT my screen to last as long as i do. So what do you guys think should i go with RADEON or NVIDA?
EightMinutesUpSideDown

osxisfun
Sep 10, 2003, 12:21 PM

buy the nvidia then.

i can see the"intel pentium 4 HT" boot up screen when i start my pc on my apple LCD.

is that the screen you are talking about?

Finch  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2003, 01:17 PM

YWAH BRO!! the boot up screen. What model Nvida? any suggestions? whats the better converter? apple's dvi to adc or dr botts dviator (www.dviator.com)
EightMinutesUpSideDown

osxisfun
Sep 10, 2003, 03:42 PM

buy apple's DVI ( i think its the same as dr bott but looks better and will prob be better supported quicker then theirs IMO)

ASUS V9280/TD Ti4200 8X AGP 128MB

with tvout and DVI

works for me...and my KVM.

osxisfun
Sep 10, 2003, 03:44 PM

i bought mine from newegg.com and

i am using it with the apple 20"LCD

videian28
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2003, 09:36 AM

see i heard after 6-8 months or so after not seeing the boot up screen apple cinema display will actually BREAK!
can you direct me to where you have read this?

Finch  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2003, 01:08 PM

yeah i read it on the offical apple discussion board. maybe the guy was just talking out of his hass or he could be the exception with a bad display.
EightMinutesUpSideDown

Forum Links
Forum Rules