Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 113)
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2008, 12:00 PM

Hey, maybe it will actually be playable on a screen that doesn't take up my entire wall. (Has anybody tried playing Dead Rising on a 20-incher? It's seriously unplayable.)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2008, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Hey, maybe it will actually be playable on a screen that doesn't take up my entire wall. (Has anybody tried playing Dead Rising on a 20-incher? It's seriously unplayable.)
Dead Rising is legendary for it's contempt for SDTVs.

bpl323
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2008, 05:25 PM

The Wii--it's so innovative and fun with friends.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2008, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by bpl323 View Post
The Wii--it's so innovative and fun with friends.
Yes we all get together and have such fun rainbows start flying out of our butt.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2008, 01:53 PM

Cuz I hear the 5000th time you play Wii bowling it's really a hoot.

The only friend I have that bought a Wii mostly got it because his fiancée also wanted one. I never see her play it and the only thing he plays is virtual console games.

WTF? I have all those same games he plays on the 250 dollar Wii on old Nintendo hardware. Since he's my best friend I can't bring myself to point out this ludicrous use of a 'next-gen' system.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2008, 01:58 PM

I swear the Wiis popularity is based on it's ability to please the vaj. It makes perfect sense actually, because if you can get your game on without the woman bitching, you've found the holy grail of gaming.

Hence, it's flown off shelves.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2008, 01:59 PM

Heh. I don't play my 360 that much either... Well, except Robotron.

I use it more for movie watching these days, although ironically, it's absolutely terrible for DVDs.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2008, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I use it more for movie watching these days, although ironically, it's absolutely terrible for DVDs.
I keep hearing this, but in comparison to what? Dedicated upscaling players? I've found the LOST and Sopranos DVDs to look quite good on my 50", considering.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2008, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I swear the Wiis popularity is based on it's ability to please the vaj. It makes perfect sense actually, because if you can get your game on without the woman bitching, you've found the holy grail of gaming.

Hence, it's flown off shelves.
Damn straight. This kid uses to pwn me in Halo 2, and now he just shakes his head when I mention how much fun I have playing 3. His soon-to-be-wife hates Halo (probably because men love it so much) so his compromise was buying a $250 SNES game playing console

I keep hearing this, but in comparison to what? Dedicated upscaling players? I've found the LOST and Sopranos DVDs to look quite good on my 50", considering.
My 360 replaced a standalone Pioneer DVD player (non-upscaling) that was 260 bucks when I bought it (a while ago). It's a bit louder, but I have a big stereo so who cares. It also had a much worse seek feature and I thoroughly enjoy using the 360 Controller for basic DVD functions.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2008, 02:14 PM

I specifically bought a VGA cable for my Xbox 360 so I could get DVD upscaling... and found that it was quite mediocre. What a waste of cash. Finally, I just gave up and use component, and let my projector do the upscaling. Unfortunately, my projector isn't that great at DVD upscaling either. Better than the Xbox 360, but not as good as it should be.

The 360 looks significantly worse than my MacBook running DVD Player.app in Leopard with all the bells and whistles turned on. Unfortunately, I don't keep a computer that fast in that room at the moment. The G4s I have totally choke on DVD playback with everything turned on. (I don't like using general purpose computers for DVD playback anyway.) BTW, you can't use OS X 10.4 Tiger to test DVD upscaling. It's way better in 10.5 Leopard.

It also looks significantly worse than my Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player when upscaling DVDs. The A2 is rated as a good upscaler, but not a top tier one. However, it's moot, since my HD-A2 usually lives in another room too (hooked up to a 42" LCD). I don't own one, but the PS3 is now considered closer to top tier for DVD upscaling and better than the Toshiba HD-A2 (although probably not quite as good as the Toshiba HD-XA2), but I can't really say. The only time I've seen DVD on a PS3 was before the OS update which improved the PS3's DVD playback.

BTW, my Xbox 360 is hooked up to a projector that throws a 90" image, so any problems get magnified.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2008, 02:22 PM

I'm happy with it through HDMI. Looks better than my old DVD player through component, and it blows away any (SD) cable TV image quality.
And yeah, sek, that damn thing is loud.

Eug, I think the problem is both the 90" image, and having a good eye considering all the different equipment you've used. I don't consider myself a yokel, but I think it'll be good until I start viewing HD content with regularity.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2008, 02:29 PM

DVD players don't upscale through component. They can deinterlace, but not upscale. If you were watching DVD through component, then your TV was doing the upscaling (unless you had one of the few DVD players out there that broke the rules). Some TVs upscale well, but many don't. In fact, that's why I use component on my Xbox 360. (I don't have HDMI.) With VGA, the Xbox 360 does the upscaling. With component, my projector does the upscaling. Neither are great upscalers, but the projector seems better than the Xbox 360.

But yeah, having good quality HD sources on a 90" image really does spoil you. For TV I watch HD whenever possible, and HD DVD looks awesome. Blu-ray looks equally awesome of course but I don't own a Blu-ray player yet.

Seating distance also matters. I sit 9 feet away from that 90" image. I actually sit further away from my 42" LCD, just because of how the room is set up. DVD on that TV looks quite OK most of the time. And hell, I can play pixelated DivX on my 26" LCD TV from 10' away, and it can look half decent. Play that same video on my Xbox 360 on that 90" screen from 9' away, and I want to poke my eyes out.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2008, 02:44 PM

Well I never claimed by DVD player upscaled. But yeah, I guess the 360s upscaling is better than my TVs then.

I sit about 5 - 6 feet away from my 50", and let me tell you, its amazing the difference you'll notice in TV quality when sitting there compared to about 15 - 20' back at my poker table. My stretched, blurred, and sometimes compressed SDTV feed looks, dare I say it, good, from the max distance (particularly since I have yet to see much HD on it).

[couple of pointless tangents deleted]

Wow, we've sort of derailed things, haven't we?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2008, 02:46 PM

Eh, this thread is at page 113 and all.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2008, 02:50 PM

And I imagine it's a nice diversion from posting superficially interesting sales numbers and picking on the Wii.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2008, 09:39 AM

I don't know who else here uses Connect360, but I finally had to turn it off last night because it seems like it's almost always in a state of rescanning my HD (and using 80%+ of my CPU). They do give you a choice to select how often it rescans, but as far as I can tell, the application doesn't honor the suggestion, and they're ludicrous anyway, as the longest interval option is 2 hours.

Once a day seems like too often (though the exception might be podcasts...), but who the hell is throwing anything new in their videos folder often? It'd be nice if they had an option to turn it off/do it manually. (And they have an option to rescan as often as 5 minutes. If you've got new content on your Mac every 5 minutes, chances are you don't have time for the Xbox)

I think I'll be just going into SysPrefs to activate it when I need it, as I haven't been on the Xbox (nor accessing media on my Mac) very frequently lately.
Hmmm... I just checked. When not scanning, Connect360 uses 0.0% of the CPU. When it does scan, it takes around 40-50% of the CPU (with one spike up to 56%, where max is 200%), on my iMac Core 2 Duo.

However, it can take a fair amount of memory. It was sitting at 133 MB after a couple of days (and it did see a bit of usage from my Xbox 360 during that time). I then shut it down and restarted it. It's now at 28 MB.

However, I haven't noticed it slowing my system down, probably because:

1) It's a 2.33 GHz dual-core system.
2) I have 3 GB RAM.
3) The scan takes well under a minute (30 seconds?) with my settings.

So, I leave Connect360 on all the time, especially now that my new power line network allows me to actually use the app to its full extent.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2008, 09:44 AM

Hmmm... I just checked. When not scanning, Connect360 uses 0.0% of the CPU. When it does scan, it takes around 40-50% of the CPU (with one spike up to 56%, where max is 200%), on my iMac Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz.
That falls in line with mine, if you consider mine is only CoreDuo.

What's the size of your libraries, Eug?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2008, 09:48 AM

iTunes: 67.5 GB
iPhoto: < 1 GB
Movies: 58.6 GB

I may pare down that "Movies" directory. Most of it is small clips that I don't want to watch on the Xbox 360 anyway. The real DVD movies I have for my Xbox 360 are in iTunes, so that will increase to over 100 GB in the next few months.

What about you?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2008, 09:51 AM

That's doesn't sound much better than mine.

Have you noticed how often 360helper scans? I keep the CPU iStat menu visible, so I usually notice when the system starts pegging above 80%. That's why I turned it off – it seemed like whenever I was randomly using my iMac I always ran into this problem within 5 minutes, even though I had the scan setting at the max interval.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2008, 10:32 AM

Anyone played the Force Unleashed demo yet? I've heard some mixed reviews so far, but will probably check it out after work tonight.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2008, 02:37 PM

iTunes: 67.5 GB
iPhoto: < 1 GB
Movies: 58.6 GB
wow, that would fill up my MDD internal hard disk

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2008, 02:46 PM

I'm slowly converting some of my DVDs (only the ones I really like) to H.264. I had started to do this when I had my iPod 5G at 1.5 Mbps, but stopped and deleted them all because they looked like crap on the Xbox 360.

Then when I got my iPhone, I started encoding them at 2.5 Mbps and anamorphic video at native resolution, so they'd come out to around 2ish GB each, give or take 0.5 GB on average. These actually look quite decent on the Xbox 360. It seems that the 360 handles the upscaling for this stuff quite well (which surprised me, since it doesn't upscale DVD so well). These also play back perfectly well on my iPhone, which is impressive, since even my iBook G4 1.07 GHz is too slow to do that. The only problem with encoding a single video for both the Xbox 360 and the iPhone is that 2 GB per movie is overkill for the iPhone. I look forward to a 64 GB iPhone.

To cut a long story short... In order to maximize the streaming media support for my Xbox 360, I'm going to need to seriously expand the storage for my iMac.
( Last edited by Eug; Aug 22, 2008 at 02:52 PM. )

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2008, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Anyone played the Force Unleashed demo yet? I've heard some mixed reviews so far, but will probably check it out after work tonight.
The physics and details are pretty insane. I'll be picking it up.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2008, 03:41 PM

There's an N-Gage version?!

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2008, 07:58 PM

There's also an iPod/iPhone version as well.

http://kotaku.com/5033529/the-iphone...shed-in-action

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2008, 08:40 PM

Yeah, but I've seen people with iPods and iPhones.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2008, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
The physics and details are pretty insane. I'll be picking it up.
The controls are pretty crappy IMO. Plus the demo crashed on me.

But I think I'll be picking it up too.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2008, 01:47 PM

Yeah, but I've seen people with iPods and iPhones.
Good point.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2008, 05:17 PM

The controls are pretty crappy IMO. Plus the demo crashed on me.
It's a cool game, but I suck at it (surprise). I was reading people on other forums talking about lifting a guy, and bringing him near other guys, he would grab onto them. Or they trying grab the walls and stuff. I didn't notice any of that when i was screwing around though.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2008, 07:50 PM

It's a cool game, but I suck at it (surprise). I was reading people on other forums talking about lifting a guy, and bringing him near other guys, he would grab onto them. Or they trying grab the walls and stuff. I didn't notice any of that when i was screwing around though.
I've also found that it's too easy on all difficulty levels except for the highest one, which is too annoying to be fun. I'm reconsidering what I said before and I think this will now be a rental.

I think if it weren't for the quicktime events I'd feel differently. But they really suck.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2008, 08:34 AM

I played it a few more times. I couldn't get guys to grab onto each other or walls, but I did perversely enjoy making my way down the final catwalk, throwing any who opposed me right or left.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2008, 08:35 AM

On a completely different note, I finally figured out how to complete the 2nd world on the Braid demo. Odd trick.

And I swear the biggest challenge on Hexic HD is trying to finish a damn game. Or lose when you get tired of it. There should be a "**** it, I'm sick of this, I'll take my current score" function.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2008, 11:12 AM

Yeah, Hexic is a real PITA to beat. It probably takes an hour to make one black pearl, let alone 6.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2008, 11:13 AM

I don't even mean beat. I don't think I could lose on purpose if I tried (On Marathon).

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2008, 05:41 PM

funny, huh?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2008, 07:28 AM

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/ar...160gb_ps3.html

160 gig PS3 is on the way, go Sony for announcing it just after releasing the 80 gig!

I've got a 360 and a Wii, anyone here got all 3? I'm kinda sorta thinking about a PS3 in my future, now that the Blu-ray/HD-DVD crap is over with, and there's a decent amount of PS3 games available on disc and download. On the other hand, my mate has all 3, and admits to using his PS3 as a Blu-ray player and not much more. Hmm, to PS3 or not PS3...

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2008, 08:00 AM

I like it. Alot. Great physics, if you grip someone and then hover over another person you can chain people together

Way too easy, even on the hardest setting though
we don't have time to stop for gas

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2008, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/ar...160gb_ps3.html

160 gig PS3 is on the way, go Sony for announcing it just after releasing the 80 gig!

I've got a 360 and a Wii, anyone here got all 3? I'm kinda sorta thinking about a PS3 in my future, now that the Blu-ray/HD-DVD crap is over with, and there's a decent amount of PS3 games available on disc and download. On the other hand, my mate has all 3, and admits to using his PS3 as a Blu-ray player and not much more. Hmm, to PS3 or not PS3...
Sony is being stupid with these different versions. But it looks like once the 80 gig MGS bundle is sold out we'll no longer have any backwards compatibility in a PS3. Glad I got my 60 gig when I did.

I used to own all 3, but I sold my Wii since I never played it. Still haven't seen a game come out that would make it worthwhile to buy the system again...

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2008, 12:41 PM

Wait, so there's actually a PS3 in roduction that is 100% compatible with PS2 games ? i thought they axed that feature after the discontinued the 60GB version?

And yea.... selecting a gaming console has never been more complicated imo. they should have kept the hardware identical and varied the HDD.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2008, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Wait, so there's actually a PS3 in roduction that is 100% compatible with PS2 games ? i thought they axed that feature after the discontinued the 60GB version?

And yea.... selecting a gaming console has never been more complicated imo. they should have kept the hardware identical and varied the HDD.
Yes, the 60GB has been discontinued for a while. Most buy them on eBay or Craigslist. I'm sure they are pretty up there being thats the best one to get by far. Kind of ironic that the launch system is the one to get. Usually the newer machines are the way to go.

I agree they should just make one system, one configuration and let everyone know they can upgrade the HDD as a feature. Or better yet, let third parties offer HDD packages and keep the same baseline hardware production the same.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2008, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post

Not 100%, but the MGS 80Gb bundle is about 95% compatible.

Aegis
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2008, 10:32 PM

It's way below 95% on the 80gb.
Only ~56% ran well according to these guys: http://www.hardcoreware.net/playstat...ibility-sucks/

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2008, 11:06 PM

It's hard to imagine that its so difficult to emulate the PS2 100% on something thats 200 times(or whatever) more powerful.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2008, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I like it. Alot. Great physics, if you grip someone and then hover over another person you can chain people together

Way too easy, even on the hardest setting though

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2008, 11:38 AM

fantastic
we don't have time to stop for gas

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2008, 03:13 PM

Here's an article on EDGE about Nintendo. I found it pretty interesting, so thought you guys might as well....

Nintendon’t Care About Hardcore?

Cheers

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2008, 10:02 AM

Another connect360 question... since I updated it no longer updates tracks last played (and I assume play count, but I'm not sure) when I listen to through the 360 dashboard... Anyone else having this problem?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2008, 02:15 PM

Since Lair(PS3) was a bust, there hasnt been a game on the PS3 system that caught my eye..... until now....

http://www.tigmagazine.com/mini-site...er/teaser.html

I've been waiting for word on this developer's next project so, this game has the potential of convincing me to get a PS3(with PS2 backwards compatibility for SotC)
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Sep 15, 2008 at 04:09 PM. )

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2008, 07:10 PM

Personally, I am looking forward to these.

Heavy Rain

Infamous

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2008, 01:46 AM

Judging by the trailer Infamous looks worse than GTAIV graphic wise, not sure how "electric superpowers" will add to the gameplay.

Glad to see there is some news - any news - on Heavy Rain.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules