Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes 7 Released

iTunes 7 Released (Page 2)
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by workerbee
I seem to remember seeing this style of scrollbars on some Leopard screenshots (Mail.app html templates), so it may well be that Apple will in fact change them soon... all to this new style.
God, I hope not. And to delete: What's wrong with the glass scroll bars?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Krypton
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 04:17 PM

Very good :
  • App speed
  • iPod connection interface
  • Gapless playback (at last!)

Bad :
  • The Interface graphics
  • The Interface graphics
  • The Interface graphics
  • The icon (yuck)

I'm thinking that the new aesthetic probably looks quite good on XP...

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2006, 04:19 PM

Sorry double post, look below.
( Last edited by Velocity211; Sep 12, 2006 at 04:28 PM. )
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by VValdo
Was "gapless" albums available previously? <snip>
Yes and no. Not under that name, but I had my prefs set to crossfade playback and had the slider along at 0 seconds. Gave me the same effect.

Mind you, having said that, I've not updated to iTunes 7 yet so I don't know how it will actually work. I'll update my Mac at work first - I rarely use iTunes there so if I don't like the interface I'll keep it away from my Mac at home. Can't see me ever wanting to download and pay for "near DVD quality" when I can pay for actual DVD quality and have a nice shiny disc to go with it!

BTW, everyone keeps talking about the icon. What's the big deal? Can someone post a screenshot of the icon please?
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

siMac
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing
great changes!

music is in stereo now
Huh? When wasn't it?
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Krypton
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 04:27 PM

It's more shiny and blue, looks very out of place in my dock.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2006, 04:27 PM

didn't itunes 3 or something had the blue music note for the logo? I like the green one better, gonna switch it. also...WHAT THE F*** HAPPENED TO THE UI! I really hope this doesn't catch on to the other apple apps, it's all grey and windows xp -ish
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

jebjeb
Senior User
Sep 12, 2006, 04:28 PM

Stoked to see integrated Album art download for existing library and newly imported albums. Fantastic for me as my new Mac mini will be here tomorrow as the player in my new two channel system.

This will save me a huge amount of time and no more searching on Google images for a cover!

malaka.3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2006, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing
using shapeshifter?
if so...exclude itunes from it.

this worked for me... (got the same error message)...
THANK YOU!
There are three types of people in this world: those can count, and those who can't.

Parky
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 04:30 PM

If you can't get Airtunes to work with iTunes 7.0 you need to turn on IP6 in Network Preference (no idea why), it just works.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Trekkie
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2006, 04:30 PM

iTunes 7 breaks Volume Logic functionality. Other than that I'm loving everything about iTunes 7. It's much more refined and professional than before.

Originally Posted by rickey939
What happens?
It's one of those 'you have to find out for yourself' scenarios.
-Trekkie
To point, click and boldly go...

Chris Grande
Senior User
Sep 12, 2006, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Krypton
I'm thinking that the new aesthetic probably looks quite good on XP...
I installed it over on my Vista RC1 test box here at work and the icon fits right in with that UI, it sticks out like a sore thumb on my dock.

I want to know what the UI designers are freaking smoking back at Apple? The scroll bars and buttons look like an Platinum 2.0 and the incorrect use of the Segmented Control for the "Add Playlist, Shuffle, Loop, Hide Artwork" buttons. The icon is just hideous...

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Trekkie
iTunes 7 breaks Volume Logic functionality. Other than that I'm loving everything about iTunes 7. It's much more refined and professional than before.

It's one of those 'you have to find out for yourself' scenarios.
Ohhh, the drama is killing me!

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2006, 04:32 PM

the death of jhymn-

can't buy music with iTunes 5 anymore
"Please upgrade to iTunes 7 to continue using the iTunes Store"

kman42
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
There already is, sorta: the Keyspan Express Remote .

tooki

Okay, but was the option in iTunes before?

What's the deal with being able to spread your library over multiple volumes (mentioned on the website).

kman

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2006, 04:41 PM

still works with imote (key-combo control of itunes from any app)...yay!

want to try my airclick remote but my GF pocketed the remote and wont be back for a week...!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2006, 04:46 PM

No Volume Logic? I might hold out on this update then

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Grande
I installed it over on my Vista RC1 test box here at work and the icon fits right in with that UI, it sticks out like a sore thumb on my dock.

I want to know what the UI designers are freaking smoking back at Apple? The scroll bars and buttons look like an Platinum 2.0 and the incorrect use of the Segmented Control for the "Add Playlist, Shuffle, Loop, Hide Artwork" buttons. The icon is just hideous...
I agree, everything about the new look screams "looks good on Windows." I hate the new icon, it's the ugliest thing in my Dock... I think it's the ugliest icon of *any* of my installed apps. Gonna need to change that.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

kick52
Baninated
Sep 12, 2006, 04:47 PM

UI Overview.

iTunes 2 - 4 -> Great. Just works.

iTunes 5 - 6 -> F*ckin' awful.

iTunes 7 -> Better, but not as good as iTunes 2 - 4.

The iTunes 7 UI looks out of place and confused.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 04:51 PM

Maybe Adam Betts will come along and make a new iTunes icon...

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2006, 04:54 PM

anyone else getting iTunes freezes when it is doing the gapless thing?

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2006, 04:54 PM

I use these icons. Very smooth:

workerbee
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
I use these icons. Very smooth
Very very smooth indeed, sir. May I enquire as to your source(s)?
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2006, 05:04 PM

so what's the deal with coverflow? Does it still embed the artwork in the actual MP3 file which results in larger file sizes? I've avoided using artwork soley for that reason as it means I can't fit as many songs on my MP3 CDs that I use in the car often.
Hmm, I just tried to do it for one album that I know is in ITMS to test and nothing happens. Anyone having luck with it?
( Last edited by dfbennett; Sep 12, 2006 at 05:13 PM. )
Regards,
Dave

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2006, 05:06 PM

erik; the problem with that is all of the icons are too similar. color and overall shape helps one more quickly distinguish icons.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 05:08 PM

My observations ...

Regarding the new icon, it is reminiscent of the iTunes 2 icon which was also blue, just a little darker.

Tech Manifesto � The iTunes Icon Timeline

Regarding the new look and feel, personally I love it. The entire GUI has been slowly moving over to a more "flat", more "subtle", and quite frankly a more "polished" look. The glassy and raised scroll bars just didn't "fit" with that aesthetic anymore. I've been hoping for a more flattened look to the scroll bars for the entire GUI ... so I hope this is what we have in store in Leopard across the entire OS. I think Apple is making a really good use of gradients to add a little pizzazz to a more professional looking GUI. Also, the scroll bars look blue to me ... not sure why people keep saying they are gray. And another benefit to them is that they now make the light blue background in the Source list not seem so out of place.

Regarding functionality ....

- Separating Library by content (i.e., Music, Movies, Podcasts, etc.)

- The new Downloads view in the Source column that shows download progress of ITMS purchases. Ability to pause/resume downloads. Icon that shows the number of remaining downloads. Ability to download more than one item at a time.

- Icon that shows the number of new Podcasts.

- New "Grouped with artwork" view. Simply awesome!

- New "Coverflow" view.

- For paying the author of Cover Flow for the technology instead of jacking him for the idea.

- Gapless playback. Was never a big deal to me personally but at least now I don't have to hear people bitch about it anymore!

- Semi-transparent playback controls when view videos/tv shows/movies like those used in QT.

- New "Album Artist" tag

:

- For no explanation in Help for how the new "Album Artist" tag is supposed to be used. How is it different than "Artist"? Where does the main artist go and where does the featured artist(s) go? Would have made more sense if they used those terms instead.

- For screwing up the track listing if in "Grouped with artwork" view if you bother to use the new "Album Artist" tag. The text under the cover art appears to be tied to "Album Artist", so if you put featured artists there you get breaks in the groupings. However, if you put featured artists in "Artist" and leave "Album Artist" to be the main artist, then you are back to one grouping but the track order is screwed up unless you sort by album. Try it yourself. Take an album, make all the "Album Artist" values the same, and take a track in the middle and modify the "Artist" tag to be other than the "Album Artist". Then display the "Album Artist" column and sort by it. Why the hell does the modified track appear at the top? Whenever one sorts by Artist/Album Artist the secondary sort should always be Track #.

- For not implementing a "Sub-genre" tag.

- For not implementing boolean logic in Smart Playlists.

- For breaking Interactive Booklets purchased from the ITMS. The ones that are QT movies and not PDF. Yes I've updated to QT 7.1.3. All of the following worked in iTunes 6 but no longer work for me in iTunes 7...

Mary J. Blige - The Breakthrough
OutKast - Idlewild
The Roots - Game Theory

- For making the "Grouped with artwork" view jump to fully display the album at the top of the screen whenever you set a rating on a track below that. One thing I can't stand is an interface that friggin' moves when I didn't tell it to. If I position it a certain way then leave it there until I decide otherwise. Don't go jumping all around just because I set a rating!

OAW

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2006, 05:11 PM

There's an "apply" button in the new iPod preferences screen, gaaah!!

iTunes 7 looks and feels like a poorly-ported Windows app. [insert UI consistency rant here]

I do like the CoverFlow feature, but the standalone app was prettier, had full-screen mode, and find-as-you-type. Needs a bit of work to get back to where it was.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2006, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
So those scroll bars are normal, eh? I was wondering if something was messed up with my system.

I hope Apple changes them soon - they're pretty ugly.
My guess is that this is just a preview of 10.5's interface. 10.5 will probably use this interface system wide.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tesseract
There's an "apply" button in the new iPod preferences screen, gaaah!!
What the f**k?! This is really beginning to sound like Apple hired a bunch of windoze devs and let them loose on iTunes. An "apply" button has no place at all in a dialog box like that. In fact, I'm struggling to think if I've ever seen an "apply" button beside "cancel" and "OK" buttons in a Mac app.
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

barang
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2006, 05:26 PM

How do the movie downloads work? What rez/format are they?
"But the beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair."

My Flickr

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
they're pretty ugly.
Make up your mind!

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

jocker
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2006, 05:30 PM

Right - enough of all this rubbish.

Lets get down to some nitty gritty. All videos purchased from the music store are now in at least 640 x 480 resolution (movies are in widescreen) encoded in h264 - bit rate has gone from 500 to around 1500 and the video size has approximately doubled.

What I want to know is does this mean that my 'old' 5G ipod can't play them - as the specifications are that it can only play videos up to 320 x 240 in h264?

Or is there going to be a software update to play them?
AlBook G4 15", iMac 20"

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2006, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
erik; the problem with that is all of the icons are too similar. color and overall shape helps one more quickly distinguish icons.
'tis true. But iconographic they are very strong (at least some of them, the only ones I have problems with are Pages vs Photoshop). Also muscle-memory comes in to play here.

As for the icons themselves, they come from This guy. I use the icons only, combined with UNO.

krove
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 05:37 PM

Here is the most apparent apply button:

I agree, that it has no place there. An OK and Cancel would suffice, be more in line with other Mac OS X preferences, and would still offer the same functionality. I think this is purely a purist's argument, but whatever...

Can someone tell me how the Get Album Artwork works? I already have most of my artwork, and I am afraid to use this option for fear of it wrecking havok with stuff I don't want touched.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

krove
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 05:40 PM

Is anyone else tired of .sit files and .hqx files? For goodness sake, use a .dmg or .bz or .gz or .zip. SIT and HQX should have died with OS 9.

[/rant aimed squarely at the author of those beautiful dock separators I just downloaded]

krove
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 05:44 PM

Hmm... - - e r i k - -, where is that dock divider icon?!? Apparently it is not included in the icon set.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2006, 05:58 PM

Strange. It wasn't the complete set. Get it from here instead. (The interface is confusing, there's a hidden back button which will take you to the AlBook Complete icon-set if it doesn't take you directly to the set).

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 06:10 PM

Has anyone else noticed this:

Its only a little thing but I found it quite odd. The buttons for shuffle, repeat etc at the bottom of the iTunes window... if you click them, and keep the mouse in the exact same position, the button stays pressed in. Only when you move the mouse does the button become 'activated'

This will probably be hard to understand what the hel im on about on a desktop, but on my MacBook, if i tap the trackpad to select the button, i then have the move the cursor for it to select.

As I said, it doesnt really bother me, I just find it odd
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2006, 06:13 PM

What happened to visual browsing of Music Videos?

At least we can finally make smart playlists based on Video Kind.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 12, 2006, 06:15 PM

LOVE the new GUI. Hate that you can't make it double scroll thumbs like I have the rest of the OS, like iTunes USED to do.

Someone needs to hax.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2006, 06:18 PM

By the way: Volume Logic works perfectly in my iTunes 7.

Edit: By perfectly I mean it worked with the first song I played and then stopped working again. Strange.

krove
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 06:19 PM

Yeah, the complete set of icons had it. Thanks!

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Judge_Fire
"We are pleased to announce that all CoverFlow technology and intellectual property was recently sold to Apple. It has been incorporated into the latest version of iTunes."

Steel Skies
Yeah, I was hoping that was the case, rather than the idea simply being copied.

krove
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 06:22 PM

It would have been a little too weird if Apple had not bought it, and still called it Cover Flow.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 12, 2006, 06:35 PM

I can't get a button/link/whatever to download it unless I disable my Symantec firewall. I JUST redownloaded 6 and installed it yesterday, and this is NOT the way it worked then. What's up with that?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes on Windows...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

krove
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 06:43 PM

Is anyone else seeing new sorting anomalies. I think iTunes 6 did sort by albums correctly: that is, if more than one album had the same name, the secondard sort was artist, avoiding stuff like this:

Chris Grande
Senior User
Sep 12, 2006, 06:44 PM

Well here are the logos side by side, I think the thing that makes it stand out is the brighter more defined rainbow on the CD and the thicker sections of the musical note.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2006, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
Make up your mind!
Huh?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

OreoCookie
Sep 12, 2006, 06:50 PM

I find it a tad ironic that the logo got more colorful, the whole app turned gloomy
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

porieux
Baninated
Sep 12, 2006, 06:58 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 05:25 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules