Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto beachballing after large import

iPhoto beachballing after large import
gradient
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2008, 10:16 PM

I was on vacation recently with my iBook and over the course of a few weeks accumulated around 9 gigs of photos. When I got home, I booted my iBook into firewire target mode and imported the entire directory from the month into iPhoto on my G5.

As soon as the import finished, iPhoto locked up completely. I had to force quit it using Activity Monitor and now every time I open it, I get loooooong beachballs followed by brief periods of useability (by brief I mean like 10 seconds) then more beachballing. It's completely unoperational pretty much.

I did a restart and a permission repair for the hell of it but my problem remains. Can anybody help me out with this?

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2008, 04:38 AM

Anyone have any ideas? I'm still stuck on this.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2008, 08:37 AM

It may be generating the thumbnails and because its a largely a huge import its going to take a while. I'm not sure by force quitting if you've made matters worse or not.

Cold Warrior
Jun 29, 2008, 11:30 AM

Hold down option when iPhoto starts up, then choose Create Library... . Create a new library, but this time give it lots of time to do what it wants.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2008, 11:52 AM

Thanks guys, I'm creating the new library right now - I'm off to work so will just let it have all day to do it's thing.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2008, 03:14 AM

beauty - that worked. Thanks Cold Warrior. I obviously messed messed something up by force quitting. That's what I get for being impatient I guess.

Forum Links
Forum Rules