Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Overloaded Finder

Overloaded Finder
Mr R J C
Apr 18, 2006, 10:37 AM

I recently hadn't been emptying my trash, and I trashed quite a lot of files (about 3400 files). So (don't ask why), I made a folder on my desktop with the intention of putting the 3000+ files in there, but as I dragged them into the folder, my mouse missed and I ended up moving them to the desktop.

Now I have so many files on my desktop that whenever I start up my Finder, it takes about 15 min to load all the icons on the desktop and the finder won't do anything else during this time. When it's done, the finder is so overloaded that I can't open any finder windows or do anything at all with the finder. I can open applications from the dock though (although very slowly).

Is there any way to trash these files once again? Maybe in some way that won't use the finder? Please help!!

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 11:05 AM

Open a new Terminal, then do ...

cd Desktop [Enter]
mkdir files [Enter]
mv * files [Enter]

You'll have a folder called "files" on your desktop with everything that used to be on the desktop in it.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 12:27 PM

Terminal stuff is trick to somebody like me, who never uses it, but...

Couldn't he have waited that 15 minutes just one more time, hit CMD+A to Select All, then CMD+Delete to move all those files to the Trash again?
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2006, 01:31 PM

I've had a similar issue before, I had to use target disk mode and do it off another Mac.

The OP said once he is done waiting the 15 minutes, the Finder is unresponsive, and other programs load up slow.

Is there a way to boot into safe mode (similar to Windows Safe Mode)?
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

Mr R J C  (op)
Apr 18, 2006, 01:58 PM

Thank you so much Tomchu! The Terminal trick was actually the kind of thing I was thinking work...except I don't really know many commands, so...

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 02:47 PM

Next time should such a error occur moving files or missing the target, go to the Edit menu and select Undo Move of the Files.

Forum Links
Forum Rules