Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nintendo Revolution

Nintendo Revolution
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2005, 08:46 AM

Well... e3 is coming up pretty soon. And this machine is probably the most elusive of em all. It seems kinda cool that Nintendo is trying to make games more intuitive to control with new technologies, and its rather exciting to see them trying to do something different. Having said that, i must state that if it's controller/UI is totally out there, where you have to rub the controls and other weird stuff.....ill be getting myself a PS3. But im an optomist at the same time, and i really wonder what they have up their sleves.....theyre pretty excited about it, and despite they tout it as a 'revolution', im just hoping for an evolution as the Gamecube controller is just plain close to perfect for me(and many others).

So far we know...
-The processor(s) is developed with IBM
-The graphics system is developed by ATi
-The media will be on HD-DVD format
-It's backwards compatible with Gamecube software
-It'll have built in wifi , with a no-subscription based online model. (which is the right way to do it, in my opinion...Microsoft, are you listening ?)

But they keep saying that the 'revolution' is yet to be announced....it's obvious it's in the area of the controller, but what on earth could it be ? Websites are claiming things like....
-no direction pad
-"touching is good, but feeling is better"
-a touch screen on each controller (retarded idea imo)
-gyros
-built in mirophones into each controller.

personally i like the last 2. Gyros would be great for FPSs, driving games and flying games. a microphone just goes hand in hand with the online strategy. having it in the controller instead of an extra piece of hardware just seems more legant.

Im definately skeptical, and hope they dont present something absolutely rediculiously out there. I mean as far as he DS i like the touch screen, but after trying it at EBG ...it's not the best way of controlling every type of game. If they had an analog stick in place of the D-Pad along with the touch screen thats a different story. But we have yet to see RPGs, strategy games and FPS, etc exploit the touch control. But for the revolution, it better be something in addition to whats already proven itself....when i say that i mean analog controls, buttons, etc. But then again....they had the first commercially succesful implementation of an analog stick and rumle feature on a home console with the N64, so im optomistic.

Sony and Microsoft seem to be fighting for a new market...'home entertainment', what with music and movies,etc being other focuses of their respective systems, which is cool n all i guess. And Blu Ray is cool....so is HD, both hold roughly the same amount (FOR NOW... blue ray has legs). But HDDVD is cheaper to produce and holds about 20GB...that should be enough for a decent game eh ?

I reckon all 3 will have visually the same graphical abilities...i wonder if they will be encorporating hardware apable of handling NURBS instead of polygons(i dont even know if thats even possible).. cause once that happens... you just wont be able to tell the difference from one console to the next.

Oh well..... Just curiosu as to what you guys hope to see the Big N put out at e3.

And please.... dont troll, i dont want this thread to turn into a flame. If you want, go ahead and start other threads.. Just discuss the possibilities of the next generation from Nintendo here, the pros n cons compared to the other systems, etc... and if it's not too hard, be polite about it.

Cheers

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2005, 08:53 AM

Why not just post when the damn thing's actually ANNOUNCED?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2005, 10:23 AM

Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2005, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
Im definately skeptical, and hope they dont present something absolutely rediculiously out there. I mean as far as he DS i like the touch screen, but after trying it at EBG ...it's not the best way of controlling every type of game. If they had an analog stick in place of the D-Pad along with the touch screen thats a different story. But we have yet to see RPGs, strategy games and FPS, etc exploit the touch control. But for the revolution, it better be something in addition to whats already proven itself
that is what i have been thinking. i hope they do not drop everything conventional for something that is over the top. your example of the ds is good, and it was one of my main issues with it. having an analog stick and the touch screen would have been great since you would not be forced to use their new method.

i hope the 'revolution' is not something which will be forced upon everyone.

but hey, i guess we will see at e3. personally, i can't wait. the gamecube compatibility is cool, since i can move my gc to my bedroom tv.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2005, 11:31 AM

Nintendo messed up really bad with the DS, it's going to be another Gameboy 3D and Sony hit a home run.
Something Nintendo couldn't afford in the portable market.

Goodbye Gameboy.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by BoomStick:
Nintendo messed up really bad with the DS, it's going to be another Gameboy 3D and Sony hit a home run.
Something Nintendo couldn't afford in the portable market.

Goodbye Gameboy.
Read the thread title.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2005, 12:06 PM

The real revolution will come when they find out that the Revolution has an iPod Dock connector! And then they unveil the truth... Nintendo and Apple are merging and it's really gona be the iRevolution and now everyone can quit complaining Macs don't have games! Now they'll complain all Mac games are for kids!

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 5, 2005, 12:16 PM

HD-DVD. Devolution.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
It seems kinda cool that Nintendo is trying to make games more intuitive to control with new technologies, and its rather exciting to see them trying to do something different.
I dunno bout that, they tried it with the DS and so far it doesn't seem they made anything BETTER they just made it different for the sake of different. It actually took the control a step back

So far everyone's reaction to a touch screen controller with no tactile feedback isn't getting much support or excitement.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2005, 12:52 PM

If its Gamecube compatible the controls can't be too different.

By giving it backwards compatibility with Gamecube they guaranteed a sale here...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
By giving it backwards compatibility with Gamecube they guaranteed a sale here...
Well that's 2, you and hawkeye.

They are going to kick ass!

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 5, 2005, 12:54 PM

If its Gamecube compatible the controls can't be too different.

Did you buy your DS yet?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:
Did you buy your DS yet?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2005, 01:13 PM

Did you buy your DS yet?
Did you read the thread title yet?
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2005, 01:13 PM

Are we there yet?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 01:17 PM

Nice try, you talk about the DS and Nintendo in the "PSP hands on report" so you are going to have to try harder if you want to avoid the question.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2005, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by starman:
Are we there yet?
Apparently not.

All the PSP fanboys really amuse me. If you post in a PSP thread about the DS, they get all angry and tell you to go elsewhere because it's a thread talking about the PSP. Start a thread about the Revolution, not even related to the DS, and they fall all over themselves to come in and talk about the DS.

I like the Gamecube games I have and still play them, not to mention I'm buying the next Zelda, and I would like to continue playing these games on my next console. Is that so wrong?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 01:23 PM

Apparently not.

All the PSP fanboys really amuse me. If you post in a PSP thread about the DS, they get all angry and tell you to go elsewhere because it's a thread talking about the PSP. Start a thread about the Revolution, not even related to the DS, and they fall all over themselves to come in and talk about the DS.

I like the Gamecube games I have and still play them, not to mention I'm buying the next Zelda, and I would like to continue playing these games on my next console. Is that so wrong?
You buy your DS yet?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2005, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
You buy your DS yet?
Why are you so insecure about your PSP vs. the DS?

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 5, 2005, 01:25 PM

Apparently not.

All the PSP fanboys really amuse me.
Not half as amusing as DS fanboys though, especially one who hasn't got one.

goMac subconscious says "I lie about having three computers. I only have a Linux box I found in a dumpster. I lie about being some great OpenGL programmer. I act like I know everything about technology. I search out articles that support my arguments but then have my ass handed to me when it's pointed out that none of those articles support my claims. I say I have a 'significant other' when I don't. I get angry when everyone disagrees with me so I target one of them and try to convince that person alone that everyone agrees with me and disagrees with him. I'm insecure and deluded. I need attention badly. I'm getting my ass handed to me. I'm not really a Nintendo fanboy, I just like to disagree with any popular knowledge that is factual and true because I want to be different and special.I like to call people insecure over and over again so nobody will suspect that I am."

goMac gets fixed!
( Last edited by RonnieoftheRose; Apr 5, 2005 at 03:15 PM. )

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 01:26 PM

According to SWG and gang no, its very very wrong. You are a bad man.

I don't particularly love the DS and I'm not hot about the PSP either. The DS was rushed and the PSP is trying to do too much.

That said I have high hopes for the Revolution. With any luck it'll hit the mark and show that Nintendo still knows how to innovate while sony gave up years ago.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 01:28 PM

Why are you so insecure about your PSP vs. the DS?
What does that question have anything to do with insecurity about the PSP?

I think it is highly amusing that you have an EXPERT opinion on something when you don't even own it. I mean you think the DS is the bomb and you don't even have one. you have a gamecube and a Old gameboy but you know it is nirvana of all gaming.

So.... you get your DS yet?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2005, 01:37 PM

Not half as amusing as DS fanboys though, especially one who hasn't got one.

goMac subconscious says "I lie about having three computers. I only have a Linux box I found in a dumpster. I lie about being some great OpenGL programmer. I act like I know everything about technology. I search out articles that support my arguments but then have my ass handed to me when it's pointed out that none of those articles support my claims. I say I have a 'significant other' when I don't. I get angry when everyone disagrees with me so I target one of them and try to convince that person alone that everyone agrees with me and disagrees with him. I'm insecure and deluded. I need attention badly. I'm getting my ass-handed to me. I'm not really a Nintendo fanboy, I just like to disagree with any popular knowledge that is factual and true because I want to be different and special.I like to call people insecure over and over again so nobody will suspect that I am."

goMac gets fixed!
Wow. Here we go again. Didn't we already cover this? It's great I took a picture of my computer setup. (And I have 4 computers by the way)

http://homepage.mac.com/gomac/P1010012.JPG

Apologies in advance, my Dell laptop isn't in those pictures.

I've already covered why I know OpenGL and what I've coded with it, and the SO thing is just... stupid? I'm not even going to debate that with you. Although its nice to see I have a stalker. And the personality traits sound a lot like you actually, as I don't seem to spend my time seeking you out and making wild accusations.

Nice to see you've finally dropped the VPC thing though. You're making progress.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2005, 01:40 PM

What does that question have anything to do with insecurity about the PSP?

I think it is highly amusing that you have an EXPERT opinion on something when you don't even own it. I mean you think the DS is the bomb and you don't even have one. you have a gamecube and a Old gameboy but you know it is nirvana of all gaming.

So.... you get your DS yet?
No, I'm not saying from a technical standpoint the PSP is a bad machine, I'm saying from a business standpoint its not a good idea. You don't have to play a machine to look at it's business strategy. Hey, lucky for you I'm a business minor.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2005, 01:41 PM

The important thing; :This is the year of HD."

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 5, 2005, 01:47 PM

Nice to see you've finally dropped the VPC thing though. You're making progress.
OK, you got the machines. I'll give you that. I like the portrait of your mother on top of your box. Oh, your beloved VPC has hardware acceleration. Amazing. The only copy in the world (It's called a ****ing hardware cursor dickwat and can even be turned on in DOS).

Worst workspace ever, btw.

Demonhood
Administrator
Apr 5, 2005, 01:52 PM

grow up.
squabbling over computer setup pictures and handheld wars over multiple threads is petty and has ceased to be amusing to anyone.
back to the topic please.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 5, 2005, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
grow up.
squabbling over computer setup pictures and handheld wars over multiple threads is petty and has ceased to be amusing to anyone.
back to the topic please.
It's stress relieving fun!

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 02:33 PM

The GameCube and revolution is a bad idea from the business standpoint. Nobody wants a touch screen controller, nobody and the GameCube made the N64 look like a dream machine.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 02:34 PM

No, I'm not saying from a technical standpoint the PSP is a bad machine, I'm saying from a business standpoint its not a good idea. You don't have to play a machine to look at it's business strategy. Hey, lucky for you I'm a business minor.
Hey business minor. Ya you must know much better than anyone at sony

You get your DS yet?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2005, 02:40 PM

The GameCube and revolution is a bad idea from the business standpoint. Nobody wants a touch screen controller, nobody and the GameCube made the N64 look like a dream machine.
I don't think we'll see a touch screen controller, seeing as how it's going to be backwards compatible with the Gamecube. I think they'll replace the D-Pad with some touch sensor with no moving parts.

If you want to continue the DS discussion, put it in the PSP thread. I think Demonhood has made that clear.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 02:44 PM

I don't think we'll see a touch screen controller, seeing as how it's going to be backwards compatible with the Gamecube. I think they'll replace the D-Pad with some touch sensor with no moving parts.

If you want to continue the DS discussion, put it in the PSP thread. I think Demonhood has made that clear.
So far it seems a touch screen controller is the only originality the next system has going for it. They can make it backwards compatible as the GC buttons will appear on the screen when you play and old game.

So you get your DS yet? Simple question that doesn't need to be bas 10x so you can answer it, common.. I know you can do it...

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2005, 02:46 PM

So you get your DS yet? Simple question that doesn't need to be bas 10x so you can answer it, common.. I know you can do it...
I haven't bought a DS... You... win the game or something?

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 5, 2005, 02:46 PM

"Oh well..... Just curiosu as to what you guys hope to see the Big N put out at e3.

And please.... dont troll, i dont want this thread to turn into a flame. If you want, go ahead and start other threads.. Just discuss the possibilities of the next generation from Nintendo here, the pros n cons compared to the other systems, etc... and if it's not too hard, be polite about it.
I think this should have said it all as far as trolling was concerned but it would seem that a few don't know how to read past a title, then react...

Anyway, I'm keeping an eye on the marketplace still and am yet to be impressed by any of the players, especially Sony with their constant proprietary nonsense. Of course, I have not liked them since their Betamax thing... even though, ironically it was the better technology. Hmmm.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 02:53 PM

I have hopes that somehow Nintendo will win people back but revolution better blow us all away or this could be the end of Nintendo. No selling the hardware without a loss is not all that matters as some people like to believe, it is the SOFTWARE that matters. The gamecube has some pretty good hardware (besides the limited storage) yet 3rd parties would much rather develop for the Xbox and PS2.

Also Nintendo's stubbornness with online play and DVD playback really hurt them. Heck, they are still doing it with the DS not having online play 6 months later when the PSP launches with 4 titles that go online. This shows to me that Nintendo isn't changing.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 5, 2005, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by budster101:
I think this should have said it all as far as trolling was concerned but it would seem that a few don't know how to read past a title, then react...

Anyway, I'm keeping an eye on the marketplace still and am yet to be impressed by any of the players, especially Sony with their constant proprietary nonsense. Of course, I have not liked them since their Betamax thing... even though, ironically it was the better technology. Hmmm.

Another moron.

The PSP isn't using any proprietary formats for multimedia. Constant? They have opened up to mp3 in recent months. As for Betamax, nearly every television broadcast you have seen in the last three decades has been recorded on Betamax. Now Sony is also the world leader in high definition. They may have not won the mp3 player battle but look at this for an impressive record...

Beta SP for broadcast television
Trinitron TV and monitors
The Walkman
Motion Picture studios
Record labels
The Playstation - beat Nintendo
The Playstation 2 - beat Nintendo
Part of the Blu-Ray consortium - Nintendo will be part of the loser HD-DVD consortium
PSP

As for touchscreen handhelds, they do well at first but lose interest after a short time. Newtons, Pocket PCs, Palms, Tablet PCs. They all could have had games like the DS has but didn't bother because sales slowed. People like tried and tested technology they can trust. In terms of gaming that means traditional analogue and digital controls. Pens are only good for crap like tictactoe and Blook at my Blicep.

budster101
Baninated
Apr 5, 2005, 03:01 PM

Another moron.

The PSP isn't using any proprietary formats for multimedia. Constant? They have opened up to mp3 in recent months. As for Betamax, nearly every television broadcast you have seen in the last three decades has been recorded on Betamax. Now Sony is also the world leader in high definition. They may have not won the mp3 player battle but look at this for an impressive record...

Beta SP for broadcast television
Trinitron TV and monitors
The Walkman
Motion Picture studios
Record labels
The Playstation - beat Nintendo
The Playstation 2 - beat Nintendo
Part of the Blu-Ray consortium - Nintendo will be part of the loser HD-DVD consortium
PSP

As for touchscreen handhelds, they do well at first but lose interest after a short time. Newtons, Pocket PCs, Palms, Tablet PCs. They all could have had games like the DS has but didn't bother because sales slowed. People like tried and tested technology they can trust. In terms of gaming that means traditional analogue and digital controls. Pens are only good for crap like tictactoe and Blook at my Blicep.
What format are the 'movies' played on? What is that little disc thingy?
not proprietary.

No need to call me a moron, I will be the first to admit to my ignorance of the topic, but betamax as a CONSUMER product einstein... not commercial. At least I do know about what is used commercially... sheesh.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 03:04 PM

not proprietary.
Take a look at the GameCube. Those little disks with 1.5 gigs of Storage is not enough for todays games. Even the PSP holds more.

The ONLY reason Nintendo wanted to use that proprietary disk is to prevent copying, they ****ed the consumer over with it though.

The PSP disk is great, holds 1.8 gigs. You can't do that cost effectively with cartridges.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 5, 2005, 03:07 PM

not proprietary.

UMD is its disc format just like Nintendo uses 'proprietary' cartridges. However the PSP uses mp4. Anyone can rip a movie to mp4 format and dump it on to a memory stick. Get educated.

No need to call me a moron, I will be the first to admit to my ignorance of the topic, but betamax as a CONSUMER product einstein... not commercial..
You don't need to win the mass consumer market to be successful. Ever heard of Apple? It seems every time I read someone attack the PSP it's the same arguments Windows users attack Apple with.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2005, 03:07 PM

Except that HD-DVD is cheaper and backwards compatible with DVD, so the Revolution would actually be able to play DVD's... It's possible for a BluRay drive to play DVD's (it's not part of the spec), but seeing as how this is supposed to be for game discs, HD-DVD makes more sense because Nintendo could produce cheaper games than Sony.

Blu-Ray is good for video, but for data? HD-DVD could very well be better for data.

budster101
Baninated
Apr 5, 2005, 03:08 PM

Take a look at the GameCube. Those little disks with 1.5 gigs of Storage is not enough for todays games. Even the PSP holds more.

The ONLY reason Nintendo wanted to use that proprietary disk is to prevent copying, they ****ed the consumer over with it though.

The PSP disk is great, holds 1.8 gigs. You can't do that cost effectively with cartridges.
Well,

This isn't a PSP or DS thread. That said.
Secondly, I think they are both sadly lacking and I am not impressed. yet.

Fanboy.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 03:11 PM

...the PSP launches with 4 titles that go online...
Which 4 titles are online capable? I bought my PSP with Twisted Metal even though I don't really like that game, just because it was the only one I was able to confirm was online capable. I love being able to sit on the couch at my girlfriends house and fight random people online while she watches some TV show I don't like.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 5, 2005, 03:12 PM

Except that HD-DVD is cheaper and backwards compatible with DVD, so the Revolution would actually be able to play DVD's... It's possible for a BluRay drive to play DVD's (it's not part of the spec), but seeing as how this is supposed to be for game discs, HD-DVD makes more sense because Nintendo could produce cheaper games than Sony.

Blu-Ray is good for video, but for data? HD-DVD could very well be better for data.
It's possible that a hybrid will happen just like what happened with DVD+RW and DVD-RW, but BlueRay has room to grow yet. BluRay will win when it comes to movies. All the best muscle is behind it.

budster101
Baninated
Apr 5, 2005, 03:19 PM

UMD is its disc format just like Nintendo uses 'proprietary' cartridges. However the PSP uses mp4. Anyone can rip a movie to mp4 format and dump it on to a memory stick. Get educated.

You don't need to win the mass consumer market to be successful. Ever heard of Apple? It seems every time I read someone attack the PSP it's the same arguments Windows users attack Apple with.

No need to insult me!

I've already got my Master's degree. As a consumer I'm very aprehensive before adopting anything new. It took me 15 years before I even considered an APPLE computer and now I am a diehard Mac user.

I never said they had to win the mass consumer market. Stop reading into my posts.
I also did say, Beta was BETTER...

I invested money in Beta when it came out, and that is the only reason I was a bit put off...

If the PSP is going to stick around, great. I'll just wait and see.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 03:20 PM

It's possible that a hybrid will happen just like what happened with DVD+RW and DVD-RW, but BlueRay has room to grow yet. BluRay will win when it comes to movies. All the best muscle is behind it.
If sony puts Blu-ray in the PS3 it is pretty much the winner.

The cost of BR and HD-DVD's will be the same for the consumer, HD is just cheaper for the manufacture. It is an inferior product.

Brien
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 03:54 PM

Eh, who cares what format they choose, Revolution probably won't play DVD's either.

I'd like to to see the standard controller be cordless (the wavebird f*cking rocks), and support for 16:9, 720p, something only Xbox offers right now. And all you PS2/Xbox fanboys - Nintendo isn't going anywhere, even if the DS flops (which it won't, they have the kiddie market).

budster101
Baninated
Apr 5, 2005, 04:02 PM

I'm going to just have to design my own console...

ink
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 04:28 PM

However the PSP uses mp4. Anyone can rip a movie to mp4 format and dump it on to a memory stick.
Would those be the proprietary memory "duo" sticks? The ones that are much more expensive than iPod shuffles of the same memory configuration?

Here's how easy it is:

http://www.ng03.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7099&
http://psp.ign.com/articles/571/571166p1.html

Still, kinda cool.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 5, 2005, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by ink:
Would those be the proprietary memory "duo" sticks? The ones that are much more expensive than iPod shuffles of the same memory configuration?

How are they any more proprietary than any flash memory that can be used on many platforms? Just dump mp4 and mp3 files on them. Hardly a closed system. The price is high at the moment but they've been dropping fast as more memory stick devices (cameras, etc) have been sold. The PSP will probably cause a massive price drop on memory stick media in the next six months to a year.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 09:33 PM

I think it comes down to is what do people want on a next gen system.
This is what people seem to be asking for:

1) More amazing graphics.
2) Smarter AI
3) Ability to play other media types (movies, MP3's etc)

Things the PS2 and Xbox already have:
1) HD support
2) Online gaming
3) Wi-fi gaming (with adapter)
4) Very strong 3rd party support

These are all things that make sense, I mean imagine the next Halo with graphics that look 10x more real and the AI being very very smart. Also you could use the game station to play Blu-ray HD disks which is a much cheaper way of playing them back opposed to an expensive stand alone player.

Here is what Nintendo wants to give people.

1) A touchscreen controller (that nobody in the world wants or needs.
2) online gaming (thanks everyone else has had this for years)
3) Backwards compatibility. Who here plays old games when the new system comes out?
4) A Gyro to sense movement (didn't the gameboy have this 5 years ago?

So in other words Nintendo is giving people something they don't want. I know graphics don't make a game but damn they sure are nice on an already nice game. They also sell a game better through ads and store displays.

Who thinks that a touch screen controller will give a better gaming experience? Even if it is gyro's or touchscreen the PS3 or Xbox 2 could have an add on controller that does the same thing.

Nintendo has already mentioned that 3rd party support might not be that great.

Nintendo better have something amazing in store. Even more importantly they better have some crazy 3rd party support and some good launch games. No more Mario tennis, Mario Golf, Mario paint. We need a Zelda and Metroid at launch, we also needs some NEW ORIGINAL TITLE from Nintendo, something that gets people really excited.

This is Nintendos last chance at the home console market.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules