Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > OMG! J.K. Rowling is a plagiarist! [pic] ;)

OMG! J.K. Rowling is a plagiarist! [pic] ;)
Spliff
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 06:01 PM

Some of you have probably seen this, but I hadn't. And I did a search before posting it.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2006, 06:20 PM

I think I saw that first of YTMND, but amusing to read again
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2006, 06:52 PM

Hagrid isn't exactly a wizard.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2006, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Hagrid isn't exactly a wizard.
He's a half-giant wizard.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2006, 07:23 PM

Well, he's basically barred from wizarding.
Chuck
___

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2006, 07:32 PM

Much like Obi-Wan is hiding in exile, and not "allowed" (for survival purposes) to act openly as a Jedi!

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2006, 07:38 PM

Are you kidding? Obi-Wan has no objection to using his Jedi powers to make people his zombie slaves.
Chuck
___

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2006, 09:15 PM

Doesn't mean he's not a wizard.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2006, 09:17 PM

Like being barred from practicing law doesn't mean you're not a lawyer?
Chuck
___

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2006, 09:22 PM

Like being barred from practicing law doesn't mean you're not a lawyer?
No. They don't decide if you are or not a wizard, they decide if you're allowed to practice magic. Voldemort is still a wizard, but he's also barred from practicing magic. Not like he cares.

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2006, 09:27 PM

Both stories follow the classic 'Hero's Journey' plotline. You could do this for many more films and books. I would try it out, but I can't be bothered.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2006, 09:37 PM

First time that I've seen this.

Hmmmmmmm...

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2006, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
First time that I've seen this.

Hmmmmmmm...

same here, but, as far as I am concerned, I could care less.

Alex

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2006, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by PlacidTubs
Both stories follow the classic 'Hero's Journey' plotline. You could do this for many more films and books. I would try it out, but I can't be bothered.
Yeah. Hero's journey (or monomyth) as a plot structure is widely documented. Used not only for hero stories (Star Wars, Matrix, Harry Potter), but also (in full or in parts) for dramas, comedies etc. etc.

Here is the structure:

Departure (or Separation)

The Call to Adventure
The quest begins with the hero receiving a call to action.

Refusal of the Call
In many stories, the hero initially refuses the call to adventure. When this happens, the hero suffers somehow, and eventually chooses the quest.

Supernatural Aid
Along the way, the hero often encounters a helper, usually a wise old man, who gives the hero both psychological and physical weapons.

The Crossing of the First Threshold
The hero eventually must cross into a dark underworld, where he will face evil and darkness, and thereby find true enlightenment. Before this can occur, however, the hero must cross the threshold between his home world and the new world of adventure. Often this involves facing off against and quelling a "threshold guardian".

The Belly of the Whale
Having defeated the threshold guardian, the hero finds himself in a place of darkness where he begins his true adventure, perhaps discovering his true purpose. This 'belly of the whale' may be an ambiguous place of dream-like forms. The name for this stage of the monomyth is based upon the story of Jonah.

Initiation

The Road of Trials
Once in the other world, the hero is repeatedly challenged with mental and physical obstacles that must be overcome. Often these take the form of a test, by which the hero improves his skills and proves his worth.

The Meeting with the Goddess
After overcoming the Road of Trials, the hero often encounters a goddess-like woman: beautiful, queenlike, or motherly. T

Woman as Temptress, or Temptation From the True Path
In some Hero's Quests, the hero will encounter the goddess, but before he can unite with her, he must prove his worthiness by overcoming the temptation of the Woman as Temptress.

Atonement with the Father
The hero may encounter a father-like figure of patriarchal authority. "Father" and "son" are often pitted against each other for mastery of the universe. To understand the father, and ultimately himself, the hero must reconcile with this ultimate authority figure.

Apotheosis
The Hero's Ego is disintegrated in a breakthrough expansion of consciousness. Quite frequently his idea of reality is changed, he may find himself able to do new things or able to see a larger point of view, allowing him to sacrifice self.

The Ultimate Boon
Having reconciled with the father and achieved personal enlightenment, the hero's psychological forces are again balanced. His new found knowledge, or boon, also has potential to benefit society.

Return

Refusal of the Return
Having found bliss and enlightenment in the underworld, the hero may not want to return with the boon.

The Magic Flight
A mad dash is made by the hero to return with the prize.

Rescue from Without
The hero may need to be rescued from without by humanity.

The Crossing of the Return Threshold
Before the hero can return to the real world, he must confront another threshold guardian. The first threshold was a symbolic death; this is now a symbolic rebirth.

Master of Two Worlds
Once the final threshold is crossed, the hero is now free to move back and forth between the two worlds at will. He has mastered the conflicting psychological forces of the mind.

Freedom to Live
With the journey now complete, the hero has found true freedom, and can turn his efforts to helping or teaching humanity.

For examples of these steps drawn from Star Wars, Matrix, Neverending Stories and even religious myths (Jesus), I refer you to this Wikipedia Article.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Spliff  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
In some Hero's Quests, the hero will encounter the goddess, but before he can unite with her, he must prove his worthiness by overcoming the temptation of the Woman as Temptress.
See, this is why I would never make it as a hero. I'd take tits and minge everytime over saving the world.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2006, 10:31 PM

i agree. i'd be the same way, unless of course saving the world meant getting the girl that had the tits ect that I wanted.

Alex

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Aug 10, 2006, 12:12 AM

Here is the structure:

Departure (or Separation)

The Call to Adventure
The quest begins with Dennis Quaid receiving a call to Okinawa Plaza.

Refusal of the Call
Quaid initially refuses the call to adventure. When this happens, he suffers from a nightmare of his dead son, and chooses the quest.

Supernatural Aid
Along the way, Quaid often encounters a helper, usually Sean Connery playing a Russian-Spanish-Japanese-Arab with a Scottish accent, who gives Quaid a headache.

The Crossing of the First Threshold
Quaid eventually must cross into a dark underworld called France, where he will face evil and darkness in the form of English stage actors, and thereby find true enlightenment. Before this can occur, however, Quaid must cross the threshold between his home world (Texas) and the new world of adventure (a fantasy version of Ireland where all is rosy and people jolly). Often this involves facing off against and quelling a "threshold guardian" played by a yelling black actor.

The Belly of the Whale
Having defeated the yelling black actor, Quaid finds himself in a place of darkness called Chicago where he begins his true adventure, perhaps discovering his true purpose. This 'belly of the whale' may be an ambiguous place of dream-like forms. The name for this stage of the monomyth is based upon the story of Jonah.

Initiation

The Road of Trials
Once in the other world, Quaid is repeatedly challenged with mental and physical obstacles that must be overcome. Often these take the form of a test, by which Quaid improves his skills and proves his worth in order to transform into Kevin Costner.

The Meeting with the Goddess
After overcoming the Road of Trials, Kevin Costner encounters a goddess-like woman: beautiful, queenlike, or motherly but always played by a C List actress (budgets are limited for mature goddess part)

Costner will encounter the goddess, but before he can unite with her, he must prove his worthiness by overcoming the temptation of the Woman as Temptress played by an A List actress. The woman in this case bares more skin, dates Brad Pitt, gets butts on seats, and gives birth to the multi-color kids you see in Benetton commercials.

Atonement with the Father
Costner may encounter a father-like figure of patriarchal authority once more played by James Bond. "Father" and "son" are often pitted against each other for mastery of the universe. To understand the father, and ultimately himself, Costner must reconcile with this ultimate authority figure.

Apotheosis
Costner's Ego is disintegrated in a breakthrough expansion of consciousness. Quite frequently his idea of reality is changed, he may find himself able to do new things such as become Mel Gibson or able to see a weird point of view after getting very drunk and arrested.

The Ultimate Boon
Having reconciled with the father and achieved personal enlightenment, Mel Gibson's psychological forces are again balanced. His new found knowledge, or boon, also has potential to benefit society. Cough.

Return

Refusal of the Return
Having made an ass out of himself in a Malibu police station, Gibson may not want to face the public again.

The Magic Flight
A mad dash is made by Gibson to apologize.

Rescue from Without
Gibson may need to be rescued from without by humanity.

The Crossing of the Return Threshold
Before Gibson can return to the real world, he must confront another yelling black man playing a police chief. The first threshold was a symbolic death; this is now a symbolic rebirth.

Master of Two Worlds
Once the final threshold is crossed, Gibson is now free to move back and forth between the two worlds of sanity and insanity at will. He has mastered the conflicting psychological forces of the mind.

Freedom to Live
With the journey now complete, Gibson has found true freedom, and can turn his money to helping or teaching humanity.
Really fixed.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2006, 12:45 AM

I like Harry Potter more than star wars.

Interesting comparison

-Owl

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 10, 2006, 06:38 AM

So, does this mean we’ll find out in book seven that Voldemort really is Harry’s father?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2006, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy
I like Harry Potter more than star wars.

Interesting comparison

-Owl
Both are made for 10 year olds...

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

mydog8mymac
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2006, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín
So, does this mean we’ll find out in book seven that Voldemort really is Harry’s father?
That's what I was just wondering! I'm not a huge HP fan, but I have seen the movies. It would be such a let down to end it that way.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2006, 10:37 AM

Oh shut up. both are for all ages.

Thats like saying The Simpsons is for 10 year olds just because its a cartoon.

-Owl

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2006, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
Then explain the existence of A boxed set for adults.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2006, 02:25 PM

Oh shut up. both are for all ages.

Thats like saying The Simpsons is for 10 year olds just because its a cartoon.

-Owl
Not really. The content of HP/Star Wars, while appropriate for all ages, caters to the younger age group. See: Jar Jar, droids making 'ouch' noises, etc in Star Wars, I'm sure there are examples in HP too, although the latest editions of both I heard were a bit 'darker.'
The Simpsons, on the other hand, has material that caters to an older audience. Kids wouldn't 'get' quite a few jokes and such, just like South Park caters to an older audience.

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2006, 02:55 PM

Are you kidding? Obi-Wan has no objection to using his Jedi powers to make people his zombie slaves.
The entire female gender does the same.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 10, 2006, 07:57 PM

The Jedi own all your ass.
ice

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2006, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
Not really. The content of HP/Star Wars, while appropriate for all ages, caters to the younger age group. See: Jar Jar, droids making 'ouch' noises, etc in Star Wars, I'm sure there are examples in HP too, although the latest editions of both I heard were a bit 'darker.'
The Simpsons, on the other hand, has material that caters to an older audience. Kids wouldn't 'get' quite a few jokes and such, just like South Park caters to an older audience.
What I was talking about was how the over simplification is the same thing.

HP/SW = for 10 year olds.
Cartoons = for 10 year olds.

Both are too simplified views of things.

-Owl

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2006, 09:12 PM

-Owl
Way too simplified. I loved watching the older Loony Toons, Animaniacs, and Freakazoid. Yeah, there was the usual slapstick for kids, but the adult humor was great. The political satire and culture jokes were top notch. I'm sure they're there because adults often have to watch them with their kids.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2006, 09:45 PM

Haha! By a strange coincidence, I made a similar "joke" last year, without having seen this one. I had the idea after seeing a picture on a CNN page, which looked like Harry was fighting with a lightsaber.

(Don't pay attention to the body text, I only modified the article's title and the picture's caption.)

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 11, 2006, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by mydog8mymac
That's what I was just wondering! I'm not a huge HP fan, but I have seen the movies. It would be such a let down to end it that way.
I think it’s fairly safe to say it won’t end that way. While we don’t know much about Harry’s father’s family history, we do know that he was called James Potter and went to Hogwarts at a much later date than Tom Marvolo Riddle (whose family history we do know), the artist presently known as Voldemort. Classmates of both James and Tom are still in the books, so it would be both anachronistic and all other kinds of impossible if they were to end up being one and the same.

Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Aug 11, 2006, 05:25 AM

Yeah. Hero's journey as a plot structure is widely documented. Used not only for hero stories (Star Wars, Matrix, Harry Potter), but also (in full or in parts) for dramas, comedies etc. etc.
Interesting.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2006, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ulrich Kinbote
Interesting.
Yes. I thought that an intellectual break from all the kindergarten antics of this forum would be appreciated by some.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2006, 06:07 AM

Lol.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2006, 09:37 AM

-Owl
But HP/SW are directed toward '10 years olds.'

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2006, 10:48 AM

ROTJ/prequels were directed at 10 year olds...
Likewise I think that the first 2-3 HP books were directed to kids...

The others in both series definately have a more adult feel.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Forum Links
Forum Rules