Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nintendo Revolution

Nintendo Revolution (Page 2)
meelk
Baninated
Apr 5, 2005, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
If sony puts Blu-ray in the PS3 it is pretty much the winner.

The cost of BR and HD-DVD's will be the same for the consumer, HD is just cheaper for the manufacture. It is an inferior product.
In other words sony bluray will cost more for the consumer in the end as the manufacturer will definiately pass that cost along to the consumer. NO THANK YOU. If you look at the differences in bluray and hd-dvd they arent as great as sony would have you believe anyway. Bluray players will not by default play current DVDs, unless a dual laser system is put into place, which again, becomes more expensive for the consumer.
Bluray is 25gb single layer, 50 dual
HD-DVD is 15 single, 30 dual

But, most important *HD-DVD is backed by the DVD forum*

*HD-DVD has the backing of more movie studios than Bluray.*

*HD-DVD will hit the market first, and back library titles and current titles are already being listed for launch*

*HVD which is a Holographic Versatile Disc developed in Japan recently stores 1TB, which could easily replace either as market leader*

kind of makes bluray out to be "the inferior product" now, doesnt it?

I have 400 DVDs. I'm buying HD-DVD, screw bluray.

sideus
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 11:18 PM

Can't imagine Sony wanting to push their formats on anyone. *cough*beta*cough*

Though Beta was the superior format.

meelk
Baninated
Apr 5, 2005, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by sideus:
Can't imagine Sony wanting to push their formats on anyone. *cough*beta*cough*

Though Beta was the superior format.
yeah, exactly. Beta was superior but the VHS industry thrived for an astounding length of time, and people dont even remember Beta now. Sony ALWAYS wants to push crap down everyones throat that will net sony the most money. I can understand it from a business pov, but sony is obnoxious with it.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 6, 2005, 12:16 AM

Fixiated.

Originally posted by meelk:
The Mac was superior but the Windows industry thrived for an astounding length of time, and people dont even remember how much the Mac did back then. Apple ALWAYS wants to push crap down everyones throat that will net Apple the most money. I can understand it from a business pov, but Apple is obnoxious with it.

ink
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2005, 01:14 AM

Bah, whichever console is easiest to pirate for will be the most successful one.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2005, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
I think it comes down to is what do people want on a next gen system.
This is what people seem to be asking for:

1) More amazing graphics.
2) Smarter AI
3) Ability to play other media types (movies, MP3's etc)
That's a massive generalization...

AI? Yeah, I'll give you that. More amazing graphics? I don't think most people would care. Ability to play other media types? Movies maybe. MP3's? I don't think so. Personally my PC has a line out to my TV. So whenever I want movies I just switch it to the second source on the TV.

There's no doubt that the Revolution will have better graphics than the Gamecube. But Nintendo has made it clear they would rather work on gameplay thats fun than graphics. And if you look at it, they're right. No game company has released a game in a long time (including Nintendo) that I can just absolutely love. You have all the kids these days that think Halo is a top notch game, but when you compare it to the games that came before, it's downright boring. The last game I really enjoyed was probably Ocarana of Time on N64. Wonderful storyline, unique gameplay. That's what Nintendo is going after. They bet if they can start making games the way the industry used to, by innovating, that maybe they can win back gamers. Companies these days seem to be about making a sequel with the exact same gameplay but better graphics. Thats boring.

There is also a second problem associated with the graphics climb. The more complex the graphics and the hardware, the more effort has to be spent programming a game. Programming for two processors is hard enough on the PC. Now the PS3 is going to have well beyond that many processors, just making programming for it all the more complicated. In addition, the time it will take to create graphics at high detail will take a lot of time. All the time spent on graphics will take away from time spent on gameplay, just further adding to the drudgery of boring games.

I find it very odd that game experiance wasn't anywhere on your list, because, in the end, its the most important piece of a game. All the graphics in the world with the smartest AI won't make a game experiance. Nintendo knows this.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 02:27 AM

Originally posted by goMac:
I find it very odd that game experiance wasn't anywhere on your list, because, in the end, its the most important piece of a game. All the graphics in the world with the smartest AI won't make a game experiance. Nintendo knows this.
So why can't they do this on the Cube? The DS has not made gaming BETTER. It is different but NOT better.

Oh and smarter AI and realistic graphics are part of the "game experience". Not just taking away tactile feedback.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2005, 02:32 AM

So why can't they do this on the Cube? The DS has not made gaming BETTER. It is different but NOT better.

Oh and smarter AI and realistic graphics are part of the "game experience". Not just taking away tactile feedback.
It's a little late to start writing new games for the Cube...

And as I said, Revolution is going to have better graphics than the cube, but graphics and AI don't make a game. Look at Halo. It's one of the best games in recent gaming history, but overall it sucks. It was a game based on graphics and AI, thats it. What was gameplay? A bunch of repeating areas stiched together. There were many other games I enjoyed more than Halo that had worse graphics and AI.

And stop acting like you know how Nintendo is going to change the controls. You don't, none of us do.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 02:36 AM

And stop acting like you know how Nintendo is going to change the controls. You don't, none of us do.
They will have to, how else will they set themselves apart, framerates?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2005, 02:45 AM

They will have to, how else will they set themselves apart, framerates?
I said stop acting like you know how Nintendo will change the controls.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2005, 02:51 AM

This thread has probably turned into the biggest flame of all lol. well it's cool to see the discussion of the different aspects of the console thats for sure.

DHC3PO.... nice stating what YOU want in the next generation console. but dont assume that most people out there want the same thing..... And despite the faults of the DS touch screen, there are a couple million ppl out there who disagree with you analysis. right ?

Despite that.... Nintendo hasnt said what the new control style will encorporate, do once again dont assume it's a touch screen or even a gyro...those claims are just based on rumours.

Backwards compatibility is a good thing. If the PS2 wasnt backwards compatile, it wouldnt have been as attractive. It's a neat bonus for any console to have, and it's good to see Nintendo actually listen to consumers on that, since this is the first time they are doing this for a home console. Lets face it, if the revolution wasnt backwards compatible, youd complain, and now that is, you complain.

And as far as online...we've had online gameplay way before the XBox and PS2, but unlike the PS2 and XBox, it was for the most part free. So actually charging for it, in my opinion is a step back. Nintendo is doing it right..... You buy the revolution, buy the gave, have a broadband connection, and you dont need to pay a fee to be able to play online. Sounds to me...thats what consumers want, since the number of XBox live subscriptions is quite pathetic.

DS vs PSP... take the discussion elsewhere.(why bother ? enough has been said about both)

Blu Ray vs HD-DVD. Apple is part of the Blu Ray consortium. Why is HD DVD cheaper ? the drives and media can be produced in the same facilities that current DVDs are produces. Blu ray requires new production facilities. The capacity of Blu Ray and he fact that it will be EVENTUALLY able to hold 50GB+ is the only thing going for it. It's cool...but i wonder why Apple abandoned their stance on 'openness' and stuff and decided to go with Blu Ray. Either way...for data and games....currently console games are at about 4-5GB. HDDVD holds about 15-30GB or so(if i remember correctly). Blu rays hold 25-50GB (single vs dual layer). So given the gaming arena, which would 'seem' a better choice ? something cheaper i reckon. Lets face it, sony is using the PS name to push Blu Ray. (nothing wrong with that).

And i heard somewhere that MS has decided to go with Dual Layer DVDs....thats around 9-10GB.(im not sure of this) but if its true... it cant be a good thing , not because of the capacity(which is ample imo), but rather because software will be so easy to pirate.

So, so far what Nintendo has announced has been great imo, for a pure gaming mahine that is...1. backwards compatibility 2. free online 3. HDDVD (decent capacity, unless tehy decide to use a 'smaller' disc like they did with the gamecube, but its cheap to manufacture).

The big question is the conroller, and in my opinion...that will either make or break this console. Like i said touch screen controls are cool... but it hasnt been taken advantage of (RPGs, FPSs and strategy games.) by developers. (remeber that thread on Day of the Tentacle and other old RPGs. that would be a great implementation of the game imo, and only feasible on the DS given the touch screen.). And the D-Pad should have been an analog control stick. So far Nintendo hasnt disappointed us in controllers..i mean the N64 controller was so much better than the PS1s(cause it had analog controls and rumble), and the Gmaecube controller....well...you know what the general concensus on that is when compared to the others(its the best controller out there for most people, who have usedthe different controllers). So im optomistic, buti if they pull something rediculious, ill be getting a PS3.

And as far as 'formats'....
Sony: betamax, atrax, mini discs, memory stick
Microsoft: WMP
Nintendo:none (they dont make money on the actual format and dont 'push' any particular format...but seem to rely on the DVD forum)
Apple: Quicktime, MP4, AAC(+fairplay).

Pushing particular formats, primarily effects content creators the most, consumer have little to worry about, as they dont handle licencing fees disputes, etc. What i can say with some amount of certainty, is that, id prefer the formats i use to be 'open' and maintained by an external entity, as opposed to a corporation.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 6, 2005 at 03:17 AM. )

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 6, 2005, 03:20 AM

Touchscreen games are only cool when scientists use them to test the intelligence of cats and monkeys. They've been around for twenty years btw. It's not some kind of 'new' technology.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2005, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:
Touchscreen games are only cool when scientists use them to test the intelligence of cats and monkeys. They've been around for twenty years btw. It's not some kind of 'new' technology.
You're very good at talking about things that no one knows about yet.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2005, 04:03 AM

really ? here's an idea.....maybe you can start another thread to argue that with someone who cares.

P.S.>>just to clarify since the language used before was too advanced for you...no one claimed that the DS was the first to use touch screens. Its probably the first gaming console to use em though.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 6, 2005, 04:06 AM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
Its probably the first gaming console to use em though.
If you ignore Pocket PCs and Palms that have had interactive touchscreen games.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 6, 2005, 04:07 AM

You're very good at talking about things that no one knows about yet.
Huh? Didn't I say 'twenty years'?

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2005, 08:24 AM

The big question is the conroller, and in my opinion...that will either make or break this console.
I've obtained an exclusive spy photo of the Revolution controller and it is a touchpad of sorts.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2005, 10:10 AM

"This year's E3 is not Revolution's coming out party," Reggie Fils-Aime, executive vice president of sales and marketing for Nintendo of America told me last month.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/04/05/comm...column_gaming/

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 11:23 AM

I said stop acting like you know how Nintendo will change the controls.

Why, I am not saying it is fact, I am guessing, just like you guessed. Sounds like I might be right and you don't like the idea much either.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2005, 12:17 PM

Why, I am not saying it is fact, I am guessing, just like you guessed. Sounds like I might be right and you don't like the idea much either.
Sounds like you might be right? How do you figure that? No one knows right now. Thats my point. I never claimed the know anything either.

What I would like to see would be a control all touch senors based, basically covered with touch sensitive sensors like the ones on the iPod scroll wheel and the touch sensitive buttons on the 3G iPod. That would be awesome. Controller with no moving buttons.

Turias
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2005, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by starman:
"This year's E3 is not Revolution's coming out party," Reggie Fils-Aime, executive vice president of sales and marketing for Nintendo of America told me last month.

Sounds like there is going to be nothing but a lame video and maybe a silhouette projected on a wall, somewhere.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 12:25 PM

Sounds like you might be right? How do you figure that? No one knows right now. Thats my point. I never claimed the know anything either.

What I would like to see would be a control all touch senors based, basically covered with touch sensitive sensors like the ones on the iPod scroll wheel and the touch sensitive buttons on the 3G iPod. That would be awesome. Controller with no moving buttons.
I think in ADDITION to regular buttons it would be ok. Even apple got rid of the touch buttons on the iPod because they sucked. I sold my 15 gig iPod because I couldn't stand the buttons, you had to look at the unit every time you wanted to push a button and even then you weren't sure if it noticed your press. you need tactile feedback on a game, you are not looking at the controller you are looking at the screen.

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2005, 12:32 PM

I wouldn't imo, I like to know that I actually clicked it. Plus it'll probably hike the price up

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 12:56 PM

You buy your DS yet?
I'm not sure what the issue is here. I've played around with both (know people that own one or the other), and they both are fun (and frustrating) in their own ways.

The Yoshi game and Wario game for DS are very entertaining. Gimmicky, sure, but very inventive and very fun. Even the Metroid demo was interestingly fun. The problem I see here is that the gimmick, which will likely persist through most games, will grow tiresome.

The PSP has a great screen but the controls are, at times and because of location, cumbersome...sometimes I think it's easier to use the DS pen. This was just with playing a few races on Ridge Racer.

I haven't played too many games on either, but I don't think I'd own any of them, either. The DS might be fun when it's $15 in the bargain bin in a year or two... What good games are offered for the PSP so far?
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2005, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
I haven't played too many games on either, but I don't think I'd own any of them, either. The DS might be fun when it's $15 in the bargain bin in a year or two... What good games are offered for the PSP so far?
Lots.

Did you look at the comparison between the reviews of the DS games vs. the PSP games? The DS games can't break 9.0, and the PSP games didn't go below 6.0. The DS's lowest scoring game was a 3.5, and the PSP's highest was a 9.3.

So what was the question again?

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...=8#post2461393

Mike

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 01:51 PM

What good games are offered for the PSP so far?
The PSP already has EXCELT games. WipeOut is better than F-zero and mario cart. Luminus is one of the best original games in handhelds. Ridge Racers is also great.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2005, 01:59 PM

The PSP already has EXCELT games. WipeOut is better than F-zero and mario cart. Luminus is one of the best original games in handhelds. Ridge Racers is also great.
You mean mostly games I've already played before?

IMO both systems have bad games because they've been played before.

IGN gave the systems a tie when they went against each other:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/599/599454p1.html

But in the end, I have to refer you to the thread title. You seem to have a DS preocupation.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 02:08 PM

Are you talking about Mario DS?

I think as a nintendo fanboy you have quite a nerve to say something like that.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2005, 02:08 PM

Are you talking about Mario DS?
Hence this:

"IMO both systems have bad games because they've been played before."

Read the whole post.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 02:15 PM

Hence this:

"IMO both systems have bad games because they've been played before."

Read the whole post.
Never played Luminus before, sorry, it is not just like Tetris, it is 100x better.

Wipeout pure is also original because it is a combination of a few games. looks awesome.

Racing games are always fun.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2005, 03:19 PM

Never played Luminus before, sorry, it is not just like Tetris, it is 100x better.
$300 for Luminus? I don't think so.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 6, 2005, 03:53 PM

IMO both systems have bad games because they've been played before.
You're under the impression that everyone who plays games has been playing games for years. Even for those who have games like Ridge Racer have been improved over previous versions. The PSP version is better than any console version ever written as is the new Wipeout (which I'm not getting because I like the feeling of wheels skidding on tarmac). FIFA is another game that improves with each generation.

But then we have the DS games. Super Mario again. Rayman again. Terrible graphics. Awful controls in Tiger Woods, Ridge Racer and any FPS. But then you should know that since you own one

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 03:55 PM

$300 for Luminus? I don't think so.
Oh so you have played it?

Is anyone saying you should buy one game? There are at LEAST 4 killer games for the PSP at launch.

Or are you telling us the Cube is worth it just for Metroid?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2005, 05:00 PM

Oh so you have played it?

Is anyone saying you should buy one game? There are at LEAST 4 killer games for the PSP at launch.

Or are you telling us the Cube is worth it just for Metroid?
I bought the Gamecube for Zelda, Smash Brothers, and Metroid Prime, and the whole thing was about $150. I was willing to pay for Smash Brothers because I didn't own an N64 anymore. I also considered an XBox but it was more expensive and Halo 2 just seemed liked more of the same.

So far the 3 other killer games you've mentioned are either rehashes or combinations of rehashes, and the reserve price on the PSP is way too high.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 05:21 PM

So far the 3 other killer games you've mentioned are either rehashes or combinations of rehashes, and the reserve price on the PSP is way too high.
Over 1 million PSP owners would disagree with you on that one
( Last edited by Socially Awkward Solo; Apr 6, 2005 at 05:26 PM. )

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2005, 03:19 AM

What good games are offered for the PSP so far?
There are a couple of racing games (personally i think GT4 mobile should be more than enough in a racing genre), but hey, you can own 5-6 racers since they are all so unique.

And if thats not enough..you got a Metal Gear Solid...card game !!! it's friggon awesome....it has photorealistic graphics lol.

Anyway, ppl please take the DS vs PSP discussion elsewhere. This thread is about the Nintendo Revolution (and the next generation consoles).

Please try and keep it on track...im sick of the DS vs PSP subject. Probably because im never going to buy wither one lol.

Ciao

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2005, 03:27 AM

Originally posted by starman:

umm....thats really 'hilarious'..... is it like an inside 'geek' joke or something ? like when you say 'booies' or 'weener' to a geek, and he bursts laughing ?

Sony isnt going to be showing the PS3 either....now watch....im not laughing.

Grow up.....your 30 something. at least try and act it.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2005, 03:32 AM

Over 1 million PSP owners would disagree with you on that one
I think 2.5 million DS owners would disagree more.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2005, 03:37 AM

You're under the impression that everyone who plays games has been playing games for years. Even for those who have games like Ridge Racer have been improved over previous versions. The PSP version is better than any console version ever written as is the new Wipeout (which I'm not getting because I like the feeling of wheels skidding on tarmac). FIFA is another game that improves with each generation.

But then we have the DS games. Super Mario again. Rayman again. Terrible graphics. Awful controls in Tiger Woods, Ridge Racer and any FPS. But then you should know that since you own one
Right. Just like Super Mario DS was improved over Super Mario 64. Whole different experience? Better graphics and sound and everything. Right?

Sony fanboys live in double standards land.

Have you ever played a DS? You realize it has this little thing called CUSTOMIZABLE CONTROLS. You can change them if you hate them. I don't even own one and I know that.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2005, 06:38 AM

Are there any rumors about what the Revolution will actually look like? They need a front tray-loading drive on a box no thicker than a dvd player or at most a receiver.

The gamecube's tiny size was really cool, except that it was too tall to fit into a standard entertainment center without looking very, very awkward. Similar to the N64's top loading cartridges compared to the slim PS or PS2, or even the overweight xbox. We ended up hiding both of them behind the TV stand and speakers, which is kind of ironic because of the extra room the gamecube took up due to its smaller footprint.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2005, 08:02 AM

There are a couple of racing games (personally i think GT4 mobile should be more than enough in a racing genre), but hey, you can own 5-6 racers since they are all so unique.

And if thats not enough..you got a Metal Gear Solid...card game !!! it's friggon awesome....it has photorealistic graphics lol.

Anyway, ppl please take the DS vs PSP discussion elsewhere. This thread is about the Nintendo Revolution (and the next generation consoles).

Please try and keep it on track...im sick of the DS vs PSP subject. Probably because im never going to buy wither one lol.

Ciao
When you DS fanboys stay out of the PSP threads, we'll consider taking your request seriously.

Mike

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2005, 08:03 AM

Right. Just like Super Mario DS was improved over Super Mario 64. Whole different experience? Better graphics and sound and everything. Right?

Sony fanboys live in double standards land.

Have you ever played a DS? You realize it has this little thing called CUSTOMIZABLE CONTROLS. You can change them if you hate them. I don't even own one and I know that.
Wait, the DS has customizable controls? Holy sh*t!! Where's the analog stick controller that I want to customize my DS with? TELL ME!

Mike

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2005, 09:26 AM

This thread has probably turned into the biggest flame of all lol.

(...)

The big question is the controller, and in my opinion...that will either make or break this console. (...) So im optomistic, buti if they pull something rediculious, ill be getting a PS3.

Cheers
That is a great point, please stop the flame thingy and be smart to check Hawkeye_a's view:

What if the Revolution is such a different thing that a guy/girl think about get another one to complement it, I think that her/his choice is more interesting that any rumour out there, is s(he) going for a ps3 or xbox2 ?, why?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2005, 12:18 PM

I think 2.5 million DS owners would disagree more.
No they wouldn't actually The PSP is outselling the DS in japan AND the fact that nintendo is selling 1/3 the games they thought they would SHOWS that ds owners are NOT happy with the games.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2005, 12:19 PM

Wrong, every review said that the game took a step back in control. Also I don't think it is that hard to improve an 8 year old game graphically.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2005, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Wrong, every review said that the game took a step back in control. Also I don't think it is that hard to improve an 8 year old game graphically.
You're not good with sarcasm, are you?

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 7, 2005, 12:43 PM

You're not good with sarcasm, are you?

You're not good at *anything*, especially the English language.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2005, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
No they wouldn't actually The PSP is outselling the DS in japan AND the fact that nintendo is selling 1/3 the games they thought they would SHOWS that ds owners are NOT happy with the games.
Wow... so many things wrong with this. Short list:

a) PSP is the newer system, it will sell better for a while.
b) DS owners are buying Game Boy games.
c) PSP owners don't have a choice, they have to buy the PSP games whether they suck or not, as where DS owners can buy Game Boy games.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 7, 2005, 12:44 PM

DS owners are buying Game Boy games.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2005, 12:45 PM

You're not good at *anything*, especially the English language.
Hmmm... spell check clears. Looks grammatically correct. But if you'd like to have english class with Ronnie go ahead...

Forum Links
Forum Rules