Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nintendo Revolution

Nintendo Revolution (Page 7)
goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2005, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
The tv attachment idea is a bit too tacky. Teh lame.
If you only need one for all controllers it's not that bad. I mean, the console is small enough as it is.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2005, 12:54 AM

Actually now that I'm thinking about it radio transmission would make much more sense (which would also mean the on-top-of-tv box could be very very tiny). The gyroscope processing times wouldn't be even remotely noticeable because they are being done in hardware and not on software (there are dedicated chips on the controller to do that work). The transmission times from the controllers would be the same as PS3 or XB360, except reception would be better with the dongle.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2005, 01:01 AM

Who here today thinks the problem with games is the size of the console and the controllers?

This is what Nintendo wants you to think but the sales of PS2 and Xbox these days shows that there isn't a problem. Nintendo keeps drilling into your head that gaming today is broken and they got the fix.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2005, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Who here today thinks the problem with games is the size of the console and the controllers?
You're right, it's all about the games. But by changing the hardware, you force the games to change.

Innovative hardware brings innovative games. You argued the same thing about the DS, saying the DS would fail. Guess what? It didn't. It's outsold the PSP everywhere.

You notice the same people who said the DS will fail are saying the Revolution will fail.
( Last edited by goMac; Sep 18, 2005 at 02:58 AM. Reason: PSP? Meant DS...)

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2005, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
You're right, it's all about the games. But by changing the hardware, you force the games to change.

Innovative hardware brings innovative games. You argued the same thing about the DS, saying the DS would fail. Guess what? It didn't. It's outsold the PSP everywhere.

You notice the same people who said the DS will fail are saying the Revolution will fail.
Sad part is, those people probaly still think the DS is a failure. No biggie...they represent a tiny portion of the population, and most of the people who baught into the DS are enjoying themselves.

i reckon they got some grudge against Nintendo to be honest with you. too bad theyre missing out, but hey they seem content with preety graphics, boomerangs and controllers a generation behind.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2005, 07:31 AM

It's ok SHOS... I used to hate apple when i was in middle/highschool. Hopefully you'll give 'em a fair shake if nintendo indeed pulls this off and makes a great product.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

ink
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2005, 11:44 PM

http://gamesfirst.com/?id=682

Interesting article:

"Nintendo "gets" it. Microsoft and Sony don't understand that a new generation of gaming machine does not automatically beget a new generation of gaming. A "next" generation requires a significant change in gaming itself. Gamers care about hardware and hardware generations only insofar as those generations mark major changes in the way games are made and played. Gamers care about framerate only insofar as framerate is connected to the limit of a player's reflexes. The interaction of technology and creative expression and experience is complex terrain, which often understood in a highly intuitive array of impulses on the part of gamers."

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2005, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lancer409
It's ok SHOS... I used to hate apple when i was in middle/highschool. Hopefully you'll give 'em a fair shake if nintendo indeed pulls this off and makes a great product.
I've given them their chance having owned every damn system they have ever made. They lost me with the gamecube.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ink
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2005, 11:53 PM

I've given them their chance having owned every damn system they have ever made. They lost me with the gamecube.
Oh, but you will buy a Revolution if there is a must-have game for it.

Or do you care to wager?

Salty
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2005, 11:56 PM

Now that I think of it, if you look at the NES to SNES to N64 to GC, they've all had fairly dramatic shifts in controllers, with the GC it was the smallest change, the bigger changes for it were hardware wise and a few other things. I'm actually progressively really having this new controller option grow on me. Anyone remember the first time they used analogue controls on Mario 64?

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by ink
Oh, but you will buy a Revolution if there is a must-have game for it.

Or do you care to wager?
I don't think I will. I like Zelda and the first GameCube metroid but no longer can one or two games pull me into a system.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Salty
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2005, 12:45 AM

I don't think I will. I like Zelda and the first GameCube metroid but no longer can one or two games pull me into a system.
So... you're definitely not getting an Xbox then eh?

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
So... you're definitely not getting an Xbox then eh?
rather obvious joke but props for trying.

I am not buying a 360 for Halo. So far the Nintendo classic or Perfect Dark could be cool but I am looking forward to Kamino the most.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Salty
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2005, 12:58 AM

I am not buying a 360 for Halo. So far the Nintendo classic or Perfect Dark could be cool but I am looking forward to Kamino the most.
Props for trying? Who the heck says props any more?

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 12:59 AM

Props for trying? Who the heck says props any more?
Well i guess I do for one. Next question.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Salty
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2005, 01:21 AM

Well i guess I do for one. Next question.
Are you SURE you're gay?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2005, 02:03 AM

Oh, just tap that ass already, guys.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 02:07 AM

Are you SURE you're gay?
Boyfriend: √
Girlfriend; nope

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2005, 02:12 AM

It's funny if you read it out, punctuation and all:

"Boyfriend, colon check—girlfriend semi-colon, nope."

Salty
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2005, 02:13 AM

Boyfriend: √
Girlfriend; nope
Wait... you found someone that... you're committed to? I always pictured you as more of a bar whore...

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 02:18 AM

Wait... you found someone that... you're committed to? I always pictured you as more of a bar whore...
Not a bar whore, been with someone for almost 2 years now.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2005, 02:29 AM

Not a bar whore, been with someone for almost 2 years now.
Oh, just let the boy have his fantasies, will ya?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 03:23 AM

You're looking forward to vaporware by Rare? Vaporware that was originally demoed for the GameCube? Sorry, but Rare is not the same company we knew and loved from the SNES & N64 days.

It's a shame, some of my all time favorite games are from Rare. GoldenEye, Blast Corps., the Donkey Kong Country series, Banjo-Kazooie and BattleToads Double Dragon.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2005, 09:12 AM

In defense, Kamino is indeed coming out and has been demoed, and it looks pretty impressive. Perfect Dark is also coming out and has been shown.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2005, 09:57 AM

The major problem with the GameCube was that Nintendo didn't go far enough. They were trying to make a new kind of console for a new kind of gamer, and they had some success with this (Wind Waker and Crystal Chronicles come to mind), but they didn't do enough to differentiate themselves, and do they got dismissed as 'kiddie' because people thought the games were gimmicks. The DS has done much better in this regard, because Nintendo has learned its lesson from the GameCube's failure to be innovative enough.

The Revolution stands to do what the GameCube didn't. Whether or not it actually will do this remains to be seen, but if nothing else it's what the GameCube should have been.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 10:11 AM

The GameCube as product was great imo. great software, although not as much as the competition. The problem was not with innovation....have a lok at Microsoft...it didnt innovate anywhere, but it sold just as much(maybe a little more) than he GCN. The problem was advertizing and marketing. When it came out, a friend of mine who got me into gaming got me watching E3 and i distinctily remember some bNinty-big-wig making a coment like "we're happy with targeting the kiddy market" so somethign to that effect. That right there crippled the GCN from the get go. that and the lack of a true successor to Super Mario 64. But marketing imo dosent determine the quality of a product...if i were Nintendo id fire the idiots who advised marketing the GCN for kids.

The Rev on the other hand...is doing the right thing...universal appeal, great innovation in game UI, great responce from developers...and what might be the most important....Super Mario 128.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2005, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
The GameCube as product was great imo. great software, although not as much as the competition. The problem was not with innovation....have a lok at Microsoft...it didnt innovate anywhere, but it sold just as much(maybe a little more) than he GCN.
Oh, a lot of the software was innovative; don't get me wrong. I have a GameCube, and although I don't have my games available at the moment (they're packed) I probably have at least as many of them as I do for either the PS2 or PS1 (though I'm pretty sure I don't more more GCN games than both PS1 and PS2 combined). The problem was that they didn't do enough with the hardware. The games were certainly innovative relative to the current generation of consoles, but the GCN as a machine wasn't all that different from the other consoles. Really the only completely new feature was the GBA connectivity, and this was widely (and undeservedly) derided as gimmicky.

In other words, Nintendo has had innovation in software down cold for a long time, but it took them a while to catch up to that same standard on the hardware side. They caught up with the DS, and now it looks like they're repeating the performance with the Revolution. I sincerely hope it will break the 3-G formula's grip on the gaming industry. It certainly has the potential to do so. The question is, will it?

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman
You're looking forward to vaporware by Rare? Vaporware that was originally demoed for the Game
Vaporware? They both ship on the day of the 360 release and recent demo's look very very impressive.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 12:20 PM

Well Mario honestly be more fun to make jump by flicking the wrist over pushing a button?

I have a feeling Nintendo will get too stuck on this waving your controller around idea. Sure it will be neat at first but can you come out with games for 4 years with the same technique?

Look at Super Mario Sunshine. Nintendo thought it was a totally new way to look at the game and the coolest thing since the first Mario. Problem was they spent so much time on this squirting water idea everything else suffered. The levels were small, boring and ugly. EVERY damn puzzle in the game was solved by shooting water on it.

I have no doubt one of the first games for the Revolution will be "brushing kittens" or something like that. Sure it is neat at first but how long can you pretend to fish or use your whole arm to point where you want to shoot?

Last night I watched TV and tried using my arm with a remote to point at things on the screen, it got tiresome within a few minutes.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 12:46 PM

Vaporware? They both ship on the day of the 360 release and recent demo's look very very impressive.

Well, technically, there are no official launch titles yet. I'm beginning to have my doubts about Perfect Dark making it, since it is only 2 months from release and there have been very few screens and it hasn't been playable anywhere besides the MTV special.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 01:24 PM

Last night I watched TV and tried using my arm with a remote to point at things on the screen, it got tiresome within a few minutes.
And button mashing through a game is satisifying ? how about playing first person shooters and racing games over and over again, just with different skins ?

ahhhh....endless boring fun....just like using DOS....you get to use a full keyboard of button. huh..GUIs will never last.... how long can u use a mouse to control a pointer ? and with just one or two buttons...it will never last. people only need and only want a full keyboard.(sarcasm of course)

Luckily, Nintendo (which i honestly didnt suspect) comes out with a full 3D pointing device. and alas the hardcore "gamers", just like the MSDOS people of old, seem to think it's a 'gimmick' and isnt for 'serious gaming'.

As far as a 'kitten' game, seeing as how Nintendogs is such a failure critically, technologically and economically, i think you need to send an email off to Sony ASAP, cause they are developing a virtual pet game as well...i think you should be the one to warm them that it has no future. Also, let them know that endless amounts of gore and racing games, and a 50-button controller appeals to all demographics.... young, old, male and female. (sarcasm of course)

As far as kittens, puppies and gold fish. If there are people out there who want an interactive experience like that....and we now know there are a great number of people who do, i have this to say to them..... welcome to the world of video games, it isnt and dosent have to be as intimidating, complex or redundant the way Sony and Microsoft makes it seem.

Mark my words....this controller is a paridigm shift not only for video games, but for interactivity in general. I wont be surprised to see similar concepts adopted for PCs eventually. Ando f course if history is any indicator, XB720 and PS4 will copy it as well, unless they manage to include it in the XB360 and PS3.

On a side note, i like to see Nintendo being flexable in the fact that they are developing a shell for the controller, so as to be compatible with all previous generations and cross-platform games. So if you want the same games you'll see on the other 2 systems, as well as a leap in interactivity, choose the revolution. if you want more of the same repetitive bs over and over, with nothing new or special go with the XB360 and PS3....oh...and dont forget you'll be paying considerably more for them as well.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Sep 19, 2005 at 01:30 PM. )

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
Well, technically, there are no official launch titles yet. I'm beginning to have my doubts about Perfect Dark making it, since it is only 2 months from release and there have been very few screens and it hasn't been playable anywhere besides the MTV special.
So far the revolution is what is vaporware as they only showed extremely primitive demos (think 8 bit).

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 01:32 PM

XB360 and PS3....oh...and dont forget you'll be paying considerably more for them as well.

Cheers
Please show me where you are getting the pricing for the PS3 and Revolution.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 02:02 PM

Well Mario honestly be more fun to make jump by flicking the wrist over pushing a button?

I have a feeling Nintendo will get too stuck on this waving your controller around idea.

I have no doubt one of the first games for the Revolution will be "brushing kittens" or something like that.
I am pretty sure this means Nintendo will be dead last in console sales.
This new system is not shipping before May 2006 as the Nintendo Reps didn't even know if there would be playable games by E3 next year.......
The PS3 early next year.
Perhaps sony just said that to make MS think they can price the 360 high.
Every story so far has mentioned that there is a processing delay with these sort of things.
The N64 wasn't as big a tank as the cube but trust me, it tanked.

Where did i get information to substantiate that claim ? here....
Bloomberg: Nintendo Bets on Games, Not Faster Consoles, for Profit Growth

To Quote:
"Microsoft yesterday said it will charge 37,900 yen for its Xbox 360 when it comes out Dec. 10 in Japan. Merrill Lynch & Co. expects the PS3 to be priced at 44,800 yen in Japan and Revolution to cost 19,800 yen, the brokerage's analysts wrote in a July report."

(Disclaimer: please note, the link is to a Bloomberg article, that quotes Merrill Lynch, not ilovenintendo, ilovesony or ilovemicrosoft .com)

Now my turn, where did you get your above information ?

**Trust you a fanboy ? no thanks. id rather see some proof. nothing personal, but after your failed predictions about the DS, PSP and Nintendogs your portfolio's lookin a bit shabby.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Sep 19, 2005 at 02:16 PM. )

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2005, 04:03 PM

SWG Predicts Most Revolution Games will make huge use of the new controller.

Uhhhh... No duh?

We all saw how that failed with the DS vs. the PSP. You're right SWG, just like you were right about the DS and it's new control scheme too...

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 04:21 PM

SWG Predicts Most Revolution Games will make huge use of the new controller.

Uhhhh... No duh?

We all saw how that failed with the DS vs. the PSP. You're right SWG, just like you were right about the DS and it's new control scheme too...
The PSP is the best ever platform release in Europe. you guys predicted the UMD to be a flop, it is a huge it.

The PSP is new to the market with limited games yet is selling nearly as well as a company who has thousands of games and 20 years experience.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 05:02 PM

The PSP is the best ever platform release in Europe. you guys predicted the UMD to be a flop, it is a huge it.

The PSP is new to the market with limited games yet is selling nearly as well as a company who has thousands of games and 20 years experience.

Yes yes, we know. given your credibility, the PSP is probably outselling the DS globally (only in your head of course).

And wow. the UMD is a huge success ? thats friggon amazing. congradulations Sony !!!...i wonder why i didnt see/hear about that in the news. so when did it start outselling any of the other formats ?...thats friggon awesome. ill go into blockbuster tomorrow, and if they have even ONE movie on UMD, ill pick up a PSP. lol...oh and before i forget, could you like post a link to your source for this groundbreaking information ?

So im still waiting on your sources for the crap youve posted over the previous two pages. I'll be patient, but i wont let it go, since i know your full of it.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Sep 19, 2005 at 05:21 PM. )

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2005, 05:25 PM

Right. That's why the DS has outsold the PSP in Europe? Or why the DS is more popular than the PSP... uhhh... everywhere?

New to the market as in almost a year old? Still doesn't have as many games as the DS? If UMD is such a huge hit, why is this?

You're delusional. Before the PSP came out you told us how Nintendo's reign over the handheld market was over. You said everyone would buy a PSP. You say Nintendo would be lucky to sell any DS's. Guess what? The DS has beaten the PSP, in every market. It's getting the bulk of the games, and the bulk of the market. Nintendo has already proven they know what they are doing, both in new control schemes and playability. Sony has shown they are good at doing the same thing over and over, and the market has shown they aren't interested in it anymore.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 05:40 PM

And wow. the UMD is a huge success ? thats friggon amazing. congradulations Sony !!!...i wonder why i didnt see/hear about that in the news. so when did it start outselling any of the other formats ?...thats friggon awesome. ill go into blockbuster tomorrow, and if they have even ONE movie on UMD, ill pick up a PSP. lol...oh and before i forget, could you like post a link to your source for this groundbreaking information ?

So im still waiting on your sources for the crap youve posted over the previous two pages. I'll be patient, but i wont let it go, since i know your full of it.
Not my fault if you don't read the news (even though it was posted here )

Enjoy:

"September 6, 2005 - It seems the UK has fallen in love with Sony's new handheld. Although the PSP launched in the UK on September 1, the system has already found its way into the hands of 185,000 gamers, according to research group Chart Track. These numbers make the PSP launch the most successful system launch ever in the UK. The PSP launched with 24 games, of which 20 made the top 40 cross-platform software sales charts.

The previous system launch record set in the UK, set by Nintendo's DS handheld, saw 87,000 units fly off store shelves. The two systems have fought for supremacy in every country they've been released and the recent UK launch comes as a defeat for Nintendo. Still, the Nintendo DS has outsold the PSP in Japan. And in the United States, the PSP had a stronger launch but Nintendo still claims better numbers overall for its DS. "

The source: http://psp.ign.com/articles/648/648008p1.html

"Yet in the midst of the misery comes a ray of hope: Sony's half-dollar-sized Universal Media Disc, which can be used to play movies on the company's PlayStation Portable. To the surprise of tech pundits everywhere, UMD movies have been selling splendidly since the first discs came out in April—American consumers have purchased more than 500,000 so far, according to one industry estimate. The DVD, by comparison, took a full year to ship half a million units in the United States after its 1997 debut. There's not yet a formal list of UMD best-sellers, but the current chart-topper at Amazon is Sin City. How did Robert Rodriguez's* ultra-violent comic-book adaptation become this week's UMD king?"

http://slate.msn.com/id/2125170/fr/rss/

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2005, 05:49 PM

OK I have both DS and PSP, and I hold my hand up and say that since I got my PSP, my DS has been gathering dust on the shelf. Discs so far are Lumines, Ridge Racer, NFSU and Burnout Legend for games and Hellboy, Akira, Transformers Movie (on offer for £10) and Spiderman 2 (came as the freebie in the post today for registering on the yourpsp site) for films.

I watched transformers and I am wondering what the difference in quality is between the UMD version and ripping the DVD to the memory stick, especially as there is a remastered DVD coming out soon, apparently taken from the original negative and including the full frame of the film, as its always been cropped in the original. I'm only questioning this because of the picture quality of the Transformers movie, not the UMD or PSP picture quality, the live films (Spidey and Hellboy) are top quality on the PSP.

I might get into the DS again when Meteos and Animal Crossing come out.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 05:51 PM

Meteos has been out for months. Get Advance Wars: DS

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2005, 05:53 PM

In the UK Meteos is about to be launched, I don't think Advance Wars is out here yet.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 06:16 PM

"September 6, 2005 - It seems the UK has fallen in love with Sony's new handheld. Although the PSP launched in the UK on September 1, the system has already found its way into the hands of 185,000 gamers, according to research group Chart Track. These numbers make the PSP launch the most successful system launch ever in the UK. The PSP launched with 24 games, of which 20 made the top 40 cross-platform software sales charts.

The previous system launch record set in the UK, set by Nintendo's DS handheld, saw 87,000 units fly off store shelves. The two systems have fought for supremacy in every country they've been released and the recent UK launch comes as a defeat for Nintendo. Still, the Nintendo DS has outsold the PSP in Japan. And in the United States, the PSP had a stronger launch but Nintendo still claims better numbers overall for its DS. "

The source: http://psp.ign.com/articles/648/648008p1.html

"Yet in the midst of the misery comes a ray of hope: Sony's half-dollar-sized Universal Media Disc, which can be used to play movies on the company's PlayStation Portable. To the surprise of tech pundits everywhere, UMD movies have been selling splendidly since the first discs came out in April—American consumers have purchased more than 500,000 so far, according to one industry estimate. The DVD, by comparison, took a full year to ship half a million units in the United States after its 1997 debut. There's not yet a formal list of UMD best-sellers, but the current chart-topper at Amazon is Sin City. How did Robert Rodriguez's* ultra-violent comic-book adaptation become this week's UMD king?"

http://slate.msn.com/id/2125170/fr/rss/
1. yes i know the PSP broke the UK sales record. congradulations to Sony for that. too bad it wont catch up to the DS's sales ? awwwww dont fret.

2. Umm...i'd harly count IGN's PSP channel an unbiased source of information....much like urself.

3. Oh so....like.....it's sold a total of 500,000 movies to a population of 300mil ? rejoyce !!! hip hip horray !!! i though by 'success' you meant its actually overtaken any of the other formats....which include..... CDs, DVDs, mini Discs, SD cards, GBA cartridges, NDS cartridges or GCN discs. But seeing as how it hasnt even crossed over the 1 million mark, i wouldnt jump to conclusions that it's a success just yet. let us know when it overtakes one of the other formats. but seeing as how its at the bottom of the list right now...i wouldnt exactly call it a "success". there's another word thats used to describethat priveledge. (hint: its the opposite of success) lol... if you still want to argue the NDS vs PSP debate...resurrect that thread. ill take you on there.

For now though, ill steer this topic back on course....

And since there are so many posts in this thread, i totally understand if you forget to answer a specific question(relating to this topic). Ill just remind you anyway. The posts that im specifically want sources for are these:

I have a feeling Nintendo will get too stuck on this waving your controller around idea.

I have no doubt one of the first games for the Revolution will be "brushing kittens" or something like that.
This new system is not shipping before May 2006 as the Nintendo Reps didn't even know if there would be playable games by E3 next year.......
The PS3 early next year.
Every story so far has mentioned that there is a processing delay with these sort of things.
If you could like..fish the sources out so we can read those articles over and move on, id really appreciate it. And id hate to have to post this request all over again. (no fanboy sites of course, i guess that dosent go without saying . but.... something like CNN or Bloomberg or WSJ ,etc would be great)

Cheers

PS>>im really lookingforward to those articles by the way. i appologize for my inability to locate these amazing sources and 8-balls of the gaming industry. i really appreciate the fact that your taking time out to look for and post them. thanks.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Sep 19, 2005 at 06:24 PM. )

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2005, 07:12 PM

Actually, UMD is apparently doing pretty well. This would be why most of the people who buy the PSP buy it as a UMD player and all but ignore the game aspect. Why? Because the PSP wasn't designed as a system for portable games. It was designed as a small console, and it shows. Sony never understood thw portable gaming market, and so they released a video player that could do games, rather than a portable gaming system that could play videos. We hear all about the PSP's desk sales, and SHOS cheers, but when you look at the actual game sales things get a lot more depressing for him.

And why not? The PSP is all Grit/Guns/Girls and no Gameplay. And this is why it is doomed as a portable game system: you can't get away with that formula on a portable. Sony will sell a lot of UMD movies, but the game market will dry up.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
. We hear all about the PSP's desk sales, and SHOS cheers, but when you look at the actual game sales things get a lot more depressing for him.
Where are the links to the PSP game sales?

Look at the game DS sales. They were absolutely DISMAL until Nintendogs shipped.

Wait till GTA for PSP ships.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2005, 07:27 PM

You mean 3-GTA, since that's all the series has ever been? Watch; it'll get lots of hype by Sony and Rockstar, but the when it's released the reviews will be abysmal, because you just can't do something like GTA on a portable system. Screen size isn't an issue; playability is and will be the problem.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
You mean 3-GTA, since that's all the series has ever been? Watch; it'll get lots of hype by Sony and Rockstar, but the when it's released the reviews will be abysmal, because you just can't do something like GTA on a portable system. Screen size isn't an issue; playability is and will be the problem.
I think the game will work just fine on the handheld. So will GT.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 07:56 PM

Where are the links to the PSP game sales?

Look at the game DS sales. They were absolutely DISMAL until Nintendogs shipped.

Last i checked, there were 2-4 DS titles(including 1 count for Nintendogs not 3) in the top 10 japaneeses sales chart. I think there's one PSP this week, but there hasnt been any for like a few months now.

Oh so there's going to be yet another racing game for the PSP ? lol....thats makes what ...95% (exageration) of games on PSP in one gerne alone ? thats absolutely pathetic. lol Oh and since we're talking future releases....Mario Kart and Metroid are coming. I'm assuming that Smash Bros. and Zelda are in the works as well, given their popularity...but that dosent matter. PSP is the winner, right ? lol

As far as UMD, i have to admit 500k is a pretty high number. but is that sustainable ? or is that like the introduction frenzy like we see when a new product is introduced ? Another interesting dimension to this issue is...who are these people who are buying their movies on UMD ? surely not the geeks and nerds....they/we would have figured out a way to get movies onto there by ripping the DVDs we own. If the PSP is hoping to be a glorified portable DVD player....hehe....i dont think there's a very large market for it. seeing as how portable movie players have been around for a long time now.

So enough of this whole PSP vs DS debate people. neither the time(since the NDS is still on top globally and regionally around the world) nor the place(we're discussing the Revoluton here).

Come on you guys, arent you at all curious as to where SHS gets his gaming industry information to make such outrageous claims ? i know i am....

So i guess ill have to remind him again.....SHS, could you post your sources for the following information that you divulged ? I mean im sure ur extremely knowledgable more so than me, since u have owned virtually every nintendo console and u have every console now. You definately seem on top of things....so quit stalling and post ur sources. unless of course, ur just a glorified fanboy with a grudge against Nintendo. And we all know what that would do to your credibility and argument ....so here's goes...for the third time....

----------------

1. So uve seen the next mario game ? awesome....you must really be an insider. u lucky dog.

2. only waving the controller ? i was under the impression that you could connect GCN controllers to the console as well...not to mention the expansion possibilities for the NRS controller itself.

3. "Brushing kittens" thats a lame product name eh ? lol...poor nintendo... from what i recollect Iwata announced Metroid and Super Smash Brothers, i missed the press release on "brushing kittens" ill have a look around, but could you post a link anyway ?

Yeah....i guess some people do beleive that. Do any of them happen to know what thecomplete NRS pacakage is, and if so any of them reputable industry insiders or financial analysts ? from what ive heard, developers are really stoked about the revolution, and i know this might be shocking...but dont tell anyone......iread somewhere that developers are not happy with the development costs on the XB360 and PS3. apparently M$ and $ony havent heard about that yet since their websites seem to boast rather large launch libraries.

The PS3 early next year.
Thats major. may 2006...i cant wait that long. i'll have to get a XB or PS. but like...ive scoured Nintendo's , IGN's and GameSpot's websites, and cant fo=r the life of me locate any information regarding the release date of the NRS. All ive heard from Nintendo is 2006.You must really know your stuff...are you on the NRS marketing team as well ? if not, could you post a link to the press release for the that information ? Oh and hope this dosent come as a shock....but i heard rumours that Sony might push the PS3 launch to 2007, theyre just waiting to see how well/bad the XB360 does and if they can milk the PS2 even more. something about the being too expensive for market or something. just a rumour though. nothing to worry about im sure.

Hehe yeah....that Sony. they know whats what....i wonder if lying has any legal impliations on the corporate level, especially concerning product pricing.

Woah...there's more than one ? by "this sort of thing" do u actually know what king of technology Nintendo is using in the controller ? and youre telling us there are multiple 'stories' about it ? sureley you can find it in ur heart to post just ONE link ?!?!

That also begs the question....how is what M$ and $ony doing with their controllers making them any faster ? im sorry...i just have a lot of questions. nintendo is so tight lipped and you seem to have all the answers.

the N64 tanked ? last i heard nintendo sold millions and made millions if not billions. and they introduced the analog stick, rumble, Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64 and Super Smash Brothers. The only thing i remember about the PS1 is toumb raider and GT. no analog stick or rumble...in fact they just had a slorified SNES controller and a console that could play music CDs. But who am i ? i didnt own either console

The GCN tanked even worse ? wow....selling millions making billions, making history with games like Wind Waker & Metroid Prime, and introducing wireless controller. i guess Sony and M$ must have done a whole lot more....but unfortunately nothing seems to come to mind. oh yeah online with XBLive.... but wait online gaming had been around for a decade before that. but u can count it if you like.

Looking forward to your links.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Sep 19, 2005 at 08:05 PM. )

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2005, 08:02 PM

I think SWG is just mad that Nintendo has managed to sell more digital dog pet games than Sony has managed to sell of any of it's PSP games.

Guess what SWG? People like playing games with dogs. More than playing the PSP it seems.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 08:17 PM

I think SWG is just mad that Nintendo has managed to sell more digital dog pet games than Sony has managed to sell of any of it's PSP games.

Guess what SWG? People like playing games with dogs. More than playing the PSP it seems.
Get out !!! your pulling my leg. How could you say such a thing ? he's been a loyal Nintendo fan...having owned every Nintendo console. If anyone has credibility with information on Nintendo and gaming in general it's him.

I just hope he isnt one of those stuck up insiders and actually posts some credible links to back his story up. im sure he's got dozens of reports from CNN, WSJ, Financial Times, Bloomberg, Merill Lynch, etc...to back up his claims, and im sure that's the only reason he beleivs that the Revolution is going to be a complete failure.

Well there is another reason....Sureley someone with such extreme outrageous comments and predictions has some information and sources to back him up. Either that or he could just be a Microsoft/Sony fanboy, who hates Nintendo, and posts his rediculious opinions and outlook of the industry as though they were facts. When the truth of the matter is he dosent know the first thing about the gaming industry, and just assumes that his preferences are everyone's elses. But that would just make him seem like an arse. I GUESS WE WILL JUST HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE IF AND WHEN HE DECIDED TO POST LINKS TO HIS SOURCES.

Forum Links
Forum Rules