Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Temperature Issue Exaggerated: PB 12" GPU hotter than MB CPU

MacBook Temperature Issue Exaggerated: PB 12" GPU hotter than MB CPU
Pennstate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2006, 08:48 PM

Just got my new White 1,83ghz Macbook (week 37) today. After playing around with it and comparing it to my 12" Powerbook Aluminum (1.33Ghz). I think the Macbook is a lot cooler than my PB. I am currently typing with this Macbook on my lap, and it is not hot at all. Coreduotemp reports 48C for surfing the internet. At 100% load for both cores (to test RSS), the fan kicks in and each core temp stays at 53C or 54C.

On the other hand, my PB 12" GPU idles at 52C with CPU at 48C. At full load, my PB CPU shoots up to 55C, and GPU shoots up to 60C. Therefore, overall, the Macbook is actually cooler than the PB 12". Although I still prefer the PB keyboard better. Somehow, it feels like the MB keyboard is shifted to the right side or something.

As for comparison with other laptops that I've owned/own.

IBM T42 1.6Ghz centrino: Macbook is a tad warmer, but not much.
Compaq NC4000 1.7Ghz centrino: Macbook is MUCH cooler than my company-issued NC4000. My NC4000 gets hot under the cpu, battery, ram bay, and the minipci bay. It much be close to 70C under this thing.

I hope my experience will help those of you who are on the fence waiting to buy a Macbook...but can't pull the trigger because of the heat issue.

EDIT:::

Even better, it's now idling at 40-41C at 1.5-1.83Ghz with 4.5% load while surfing th internet. It must have cool down since I unplugged it from the power outlet
( Last edited by Pennstate; Oct 11, 2006 at 09:04 PM. )

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2006, 09:25 PM

OH. MY. GOD!! I jest got mine fixed (random shutdowns) it is not hot at all! Its a BlackBook/ 1GB RAM. In fact my iBook 12" is hotter!
Signature depreciated.

Pennstate  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2006, 09:32 PM

The best thing is that the fan isn't even on while maintaining that idle temp

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2006, 09:40 PM

Something else to consider is that even with the CPU/GPU at the same temperature, the PowerBook is going to feel hotter because more heat is leaving through the metal case instead of through the airflow out the back.

acoustix
Oct 12, 2006, 12:51 AM

Don't put too much stock into any of the Coreduotemp readings unless you have just rebooted...there is a bug in the Intel sensors that prevent CDT from reporting accurately..

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO
OH. MY. GOD!! I jest got mine fixed (random shutdowns) it is not hot at all! Its a BlackBook/ 1GB RAM. In fact my iBook 12" is hotter!
I've read quite a few posts on the Apple Support forum where people who got their entire logic board swapped out (vs. just getting a new heatsink) are saying that it's dramatically cooler.

My MB only got the heatsink, so it's (not suprisingly) running at the same temp it was before it went in for repair.

Tell you what -- if Apple can make the MacBook Pros as cool as the people with the updated MacBooks are saying, I'll gladly spork over $2000 for one!!!

ChasingApple
Senior User
Oct 13, 2006, 04:27 AM

I like the people that said they were so hot it literally burned them, ROFL.
iMac G4 / Macbook

Forum Links
Forum Rules