Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Story of one of my Clients being Murdered.

Story of one of my Clients being Murdered.
MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2009, 05:22 PM

OK, this is beyond crazy. Some truly crazy sh*t. About two years ago one of my long-standing clients referred a dude to me to get a website done. The dude's name was Randy Griffin and he owned a custom sunglasses/jewelry shop.

I went to Randy's shop to talk with him about what the site needed to be like etc. Everything went well and he paid my deposit in cash. Two or three weeks later Randy's business partner called me to say that Randy was shot and killed outside of Club 112. Randy's business partner said that Randy had a shady past and had recently gotten into a shoot-out with some other dudes. He also said that Randy was truly trying to go legit by opening the shop.

I just thought Randy's past caught up with him, hoped that his killers would be found, and moved on with life.

So, imagine my surprise when I was on Hulu.com today, watching America's Most Wanted, when they started talking about Randy's murder. Turns out it may no have been about Randy's past or maybe America's Most Wanted didn't know a lot about Randy. I don't know. All I can say is this sh*t crazy.

For those of you who can see Hulu, check this out to see what AMW said (it's the second story about the gang murders): http://www.hulu.com/watch/66309/amer...ted-episode-28

I know this isn't something that will spur a 20 page thread but as I said this is crazy to me because I knew the guy that was murdered.

Hmm, how did "Default" get into the title of my post? Could someone remove that?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2009, 06:26 PM

Hm, crazy.

Just wondered, what are the odds of knowing someone who got murdered ?
I don't know anybody, and I'm glad about it.

-t

MallyMal  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2009, 07:17 PM

Summary for folks who can't see Hulu: I didn't go into detail of the AMW story because it's such a complex story. But, according to the AMW story, the dudes that Randy got into the shoot-out/robbery with were from a gang called the International Robbing Crew. They tried to rob Randy which to the shoot-out that I mentioned in my original post. The gang later came back to kill Randy. The gang was linked to at least 7 other murders in Atlanta.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2009, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I've known a few. Known a few murderers too. Ya just gotta hang around in the right circles, I guess.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2009, 08:51 PM

Hm, crazy.

On 19th December 1988, a friend of mine gave this bottle of whisky to me:

Two days later he boarded a flight with his fiancé to go do a bit of last minute Christmas shopping in NYC. The rest is history.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2009, 09:59 PM

She was probably the nicest person I have ever met.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2009, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
On 19th December 1988, a friend of mine gave this bottle of whisky to me:

Two days later he boarded a flight with his fiancé to go do a bit of last minute Christmas shopping in NYC. The rest is history.
Wow, I'm sorry, that's some crazy sh!t.

-t

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2009, 10:35 PM

Hm, crazy.

-t
It depends how close a relationship you use to define "knowing" the person. This was just some guy's client not a friend or relative. It sounds like they only met once or twice.

If that's the stretch we're using then I know two. One was a guy who was 3 years older than me in high school who was shot when they tried to carjack him. The second was the sister of a friend who died in the WTC.
I saw them both at parties and similar social things when I was younger but I wouldn't say i knew them well enough to feel a personal impact.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2009, 01:19 AM

Hm, crazy.

-t
I personally know quite a few people that have been murdered.

Had a guy get shot to death 4 feet from me in broad daylight when I was about 15. I was in the the arms of my moms friend as a baby, when her boyfriend went off and shot her to death in my moms house. I even had a close friend get cut into pieces and buried her backyard by her boyfriend.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2009, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post

Had a guy get shot to death 4 feet from me in broad daylight when I was about 15. I was in the the arms of my moms friend as a baby, when her boyfriend went off and shot her to death in my moms house. I even had a close friend get cut into pieces and buried her backyard by her boyfriend.
Hooray for my protected childhood...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2009, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post

I grew up in Oakland and remember what it was like in the 70s. Pretty wild. Compared to the 70s and 80s it's like Disneyland there today.
( Last edited by Simon; Apr 7, 2009 at 03:54 AM. )

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2009, 07:57 AM

A friend of mine from school was killed when him and a friend were mugged on a train.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2009, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I grew up in Oakland and remember what it was like in the 70s. Pretty wild. Compared to the 70s and 80s it's like Disneyland there today.
Two of those happened during that time and yeah I have to agree. I was a few blocks from Huey Newtons place when he got gunned down. My friend as a few houses down and heard the shots.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 8, 2009, 12:54 AM

Friend got beat to (almost)death with a 10 lb. weight and thrown in the intracoastal(left to die) last year. He was one of my best friends until about 2001, when I basically dismissed him as a friend as he was a little out of control with drugs and such, even though he was a genuine good guy. His murder stemmed from a fight over crack or cocaine, with his roommate. Seems he never turned it around.

An ex-coworker beat a hooker to death with the butt of his gun. If I saw him ever again I'd suggest that the other end of the gun probably would have worked better.

I'm sure there's more.
ice

Forum Links
Forum Rules