Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Will Mars Have Its Own Internet, Or Will It Sync With Ours?

Will Mars Have Its Own Internet, Or Will It Sync With Ours?
subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2013, 06:18 PM

Discuss.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2013, 06:27 PM

Yes.

-t

P
Sep 28, 2013, 06:42 PM

There is actually an extension to TCP/IP that allows for interplanetary communication, so... The same Internet when the planets are on the same side of the sun, separate when they are on opposite sides - but the latency to pick something from the other planet will be horrendous, so I suspect that there will be enough caching to make it seem like one even when the sun's radiation blocks transmissions.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 28, 2013, 07:36 PM

Non-interactive stuff will work. Like email, though with round-trip delays of 10-45 minutes. HTTPS sessions will usually time out, even at 10 minutes. So caching, and sites will open official local servers that sync later. ie - banking and shopping.

Credit purchases across planets will no longer clear immediately, but will become more like checks. Where a few data points need to sync back and forth before everyone agrees the transaction has cleared.

Certain sites that primarily offer info will cache nicely, like Wikipedia. However, wiki edits will need a queue and merge system, requiring admin review if the same section is edited simultaneously.

There will be route-around com satellites for when the Sun is in the way. So there will be communication all the time, just really slow. Unless someone manages to turn entanglement into a data carrier. It's assumed to be impossible for entanglement to carry info FTL, but that's never been proven. The proof (or lack of) would likely be in the elusive Quantum Gravity Theory. Oreo should hurry up on that, we need it to answer a lot of unsolved questions.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2013, 07:42 PM

Wiki is one of the things which made me think of the question.

Are we going to let those... those Martians, alter our objective truth like that?

reader50
Administrator
Sep 28, 2013, 07:46 PM

Yep, anyone can edit most Wiki pages. And the servers will probably check merges down to the paragraph level, perhaps the sentence level. Non-conflicting edits will get merged automatically.

Now I'm not sure if we'll allow edits from those citizens of Uranus. Not sure of the proper name for them either.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2013, 08:25 PM

That's the thing, really. I trust Uranus.

Cold Warrior
Sep 28, 2013, 09:26 PM

At the pace we're going, by the time we're on Mars, Earth will be toast and it won't matter.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2013, 09:39 PM

Is won't matter like anti matter?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2013, 05:59 PM

Interplanetary internets are generally described as a network of internets using store and forward since they'll be often disconnected and even the backbone is error-prone.

You start thinking about delay tolerant networking a lot more, like described in RFC 4838, with a switch to things like BP (bundle protocol) instead of IP.

P
Sep 30, 2013, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
At the pace we're going, by the time we're on Mars, Earth will be toast and it won't matter.
Alternatively, if anyone gets off the planet they would probably be well advised to not listen to what Earth says.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

andi*pandi
Sep 30, 2013, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Non-interactive stuff will work. Like email, though with round-trip delays of 10-45 minutes.
I can see it now:

"UGH, EMAIL TO MARS TAKING MORE THAN 15 MINUTES TO SEND. STUPID APPLE. #THIRDPLANETPROBLEMS"

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2013, 03:04 PM

Haha! #Moon

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2013, 02:32 AM

Mars will have it's own internet, but it will be destroyed when it connects ours as it will have no immunity to our viruses. (ta-dah!)
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2013, 07:00 AM

Ugh, Martian spam.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

andi*pandi
Oct 1, 2013, 12:28 PM

true:
"LONELY? ORDER YOUR MARTIAN SEX SLAVE TODAY! #pathetic"

Forum Links
Forum Rules