Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Your iPad (or any tablet) lifespan

Your iPad (or any tablet) lifespan (Page 3)
mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2013, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Actually I'm hoping we'll see it in iOS 7.1. There has to be a reason that Apple has been testing both 7.0.3 and 7.1 at the same time.
With the limited RAM they chose for the A7 (1GB in 2013, lol), they're going to have to.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2013, 04:11 PM

Strange that even with 1GB, the machines seem quite competitive.

Most people don't seem to care.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2013, 04:25 PM

RAM kills the battery. You want the absolute minimum you can get away with.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2013, 04:28 PM

My phone has 2GB and lasts two days with, for me, average use. I'm pretty certain that with the size of an iPad battery they'd be ok.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2013, 04:31 PM

My phone won't last a whole day.

To be fair, my phone is my main computer.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2013, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
My phone won't last a whole day.

To be fair, my phone is my main computer.
There's the difference, for sure. Especially for younger users, their phone often is their computer.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2013, 11:28 AM

I want to talk about iPad cases for a second...

So I've had an iPad 2 since launch and I've always had it in this giant faux leather case deal that folds into a stand. One of the main reasons is because my kids always use it and it really does need the extra protection it affords. That said, I've always hated the extra bulk it adds and the way it looks, but I really like the ability to turn it instantly into a little stand.

So now I have this iPad Mini. I'm absolutely loving it. I love the size. It makes my old iPad 2 feel like a giant brick with a huge horsey screen. At first I decided that I was going to go completely case-less and just use it naked. The problem is, I really find myself missing the ability to prop it up.

So I have a few options here. I can get a Smart Cover... but for some reason, I've always disliked smart covers. They just seem pretty pointless to me. Like attaching a big floppy thing to your iPad for almost no reason. Plus I hear that the new style one that the Mini uses doesn't even work that well.

I can get a few little folding stands and just keep them around, but I know in reality that they will get lost and will never be around exactly when I need one.

I can just bite the bullet and get some sort of case, which wouldn't be the end of the world, but for some reason I really don't want to do this. For once I want an iOS device without a dork helmet.

Thoughts?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

P
Nov 25, 2013, 12:59 PM

I have a mini, and I use it with the Smart Cover. The complaints about it are that if you try to prop it up like a typewriter and type on it, like you can with the old Smart Cover, it's liable to separate in the joint where it is only two corners attached magnetically. I feel that this complaint is overblown for two reasons:

1) Touchtyping on the iPad mini sucks anyway, because the buttons are just too small. To type on the iPad mini, flip it to portrait and use both thumbs.
2) Having the iPad tilted up to type on is just because we're all used to keyboards being that way because typewriters were. That's actually ergonomically a very bad idea. Try typing on the iPad lying flat - the viewing angles are good enough that this is absolutely fine, once you get used to it.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2013, 07:12 PM

I like the Zagg keyboard cases, they're durable too.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 25, 2013, 09:14 PM

Wife got me the pricey Apple Smart Cover when she bought my iPad, but after a few months I found a cheap POS full case on clearance at a home improvement store for $10 that I've been using ever since. It's way better at propping it up, especially on my lap.

Forum Links
Forum Rules