Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > R I P Aperture?

R I P Aperture?
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2014, 05:50 AM

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2014, 06:00 AM

I feel the same way, looks like Lightroom is the alternative and I really don't like the subscription-based model of software distribution.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

P
Jun 30, 2014, 06:36 AM

The writing has been on the wall for some time, though. The upside is that the iPhoto successor will not be limited in what it can do with RAW files anymore.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2014, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by davidflas View Post
I feel the same way, looks like Lightroom is the alternative and I really don't like the subscription-based model of software distribution.
Neither do I, plus didn't they have an outage a while back? No Photoshop for you because I can't manage my datacentre properly.

Originally Posted by P View Post
The writing has been on the wall for some time, though. The upside is that the iPhoto successor will not be limited in what it can do with RAW files anymore.
But will it have all the functionality of Aperture? I've got some decent plug-ins as well.

jwdsail
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2014, 03:37 PM

apple.com/feedback

can't hurt, may help more than venting here...

Perhaps, suggest, that Apple offer an extension/plug-in to Photos that adds any Aperture features that end up being missing from Photos when it ships in 2015?

I'm going to keep using Aperture, may even buy and mothball an extra mac to stretch that time out, until I can't... maybe 3-5 more years... Maybe by then there will be a product I feel is worth moving to. Right now, there isn't.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jul 1, 2014, 04:01 PM

I'll wait and see if Photos can handle my 1TB library, but I doubt it'll do what I need it to. Exploring Lightroom as an alternative (tho I didn't much care for previous versions).

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2014, 08:26 PM

You can stil buy Aperture 5 without the subscription. It's buried because Adobe would rather you subscribe for 10 bucks a month, but it's there. It's 149.00 American for the full version.

At the very bottom-right of this page: Photo editor app | Download free Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 trial

click Lightroom Standalone Buy Now. It adds the upgrade to your cart, which requires a previous version, but if you click edit, then you can choose "full" to the right of "I want to buy."

Lightroom 5 is a perfectly good program that does pretty much the same thing as Aperture, but if you use Photoshop's Camera Raw plugin much, its "Develop" window will look very familiar. I'm using it on an 2008 Mac Pro with about 23,000 images in my library and it's very responsive. No beachballing or sluggishness at all.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

OreoCookie
Jul 2, 2014, 06:55 AM

Apple's decision put me between a rock and a hard place: I decidedly don't like Lightroom's UI and its rather primitive way to organize files. I'll definitely wait and see what Photos will be like.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

P
Jul 2, 2014, 07:40 AM

Have either of you tried the RAW editing features in iPhoto? I ask because I know nothing about them except that they're there, and the organizing features are the same.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2014, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by davidflas View Post
Lightroom is available as a one time purchase.

Forum Links
Forum Rules