Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Raid

Raid
PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2014, 08:39 PM

I have a Lacie 2big Thunderbolt with 2 2TB drives set up as a mirrored raid array. When I am ready to increase the storage what is the best way to do so? I used Disk Utility to create the Raid when I first got the unit in early 2013.

Thanks

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2014, 10:33 PM

Buy another external storage unit.

OreoCookie
Aug 5, 2014, 11:16 PM

You cannot migrate RAID1s: if you replace one drive with a larger drive and rebuild the RAID, you'll get a volume of the old (smaller) size. You need to start afresh, sorry. So unless you have a 2 TB drive lying around, you need to buy a new RAID.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

PHoynak  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2014, 11:43 AM

So basically the best thing to do is pull both drives out, put 2 bigger drives in, build a new array and transfer the itunes library from tone if the old drives?

OreoCookie
Aug 6, 2014, 12:49 PM

Probably that won't work, because often RAID controllers write special information on the drives or they use hardware encryption. Although other sources claim it will work with some RAID controllers. I'd definitely try before replacing the RAID1, although note that any write operation will break the RAID1, and may wreck havoc when you put the disk back in (the RAID controller doesn't know which of the drives contains good data).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

billmboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2014, 04:04 PM

Buy an inexpensive external 2Gig drive (under $100) copy the data from your raid then buy two of the largest drives you can afford (min 4 gig but the newer 5 & 6 gig should work ( make sure they are supported in the Lacie enclosure) but are pricy) plug it back into the computer, format the raid1 and copy your iTunes/Date back make sure that iTunes is linked back to the new raid and use the small external you bought as a TimeMachine back-up. I would find out all you can about making sure your iTunes library remains intact as it could brake the link as I've had problems in the past.

Forum Links
Forum Rules