Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone won't remember Wi-Fi

iPhone won't remember Wi-Fi
dzp111
Senior User
Jul 25, 2009, 05:22 PM

Since 3.0 upgrade, I have to manually connect my iPhone to my wireless each time I turn it on. I haven't change any configs on my router. I did a re-boot on the phone and reseted the router but the problem remains.

Anyone have ideas about this?
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

ibook_steve
Jul 26, 2009, 12:37 PM

Make sure "Ask to join networks" is turned off.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Jul 26, 2009, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Make sure "Ask to join networks" is turned off.
It had been off the whole time so I tried it on to see if it would make a difference but it didn't. I'll certainly turn it back off though. Thanks.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2009, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by dzp111
I have to manually connect my iPhone to my wireless each time I turn it on. I haven't change any configs on my router. I did a re-boot on the phone and reseted the router but the problem remains.
I've had a 3GS since the first day they were available and just started having this problem Saturday 7/25. Not sure what's up there, but I changed my router settings from hiding to broadcasting my SSID and that has solved the problem.

FWIW, my wife is running 3.0 on an original, 2G iPhone (unlocked on T-Mo) and did not have this problem.

Since unhiding my SSID, the problem has not resurfaced for the past 24 hours or so.

Other notes:
- I use WEP security.
- Other wi-fi devices on the network did not have this problem (MacBook and 2 TiVos).
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Cold Warrior
Jul 26, 2009, 08:34 PM

Hiding your ssid and using WEP are both nearly useless security measures.

Broadcast your ssid (reduces connectivity issues) and use WPA2 (true wifi security).

Forum Links
Forum Rules