Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > macbook won't open photos/videos from t2i? "unrecognized file"

macbook won't open photos/videos from t2i? "unrecognized file"
16bitsystems
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2012, 03:04 AM

OK, so I just got a Canon Rebel t2i camera. I went out testing it and when i put the SD card (PNY Professional class 10 32GB), iphoto opened then it froze and i had to force quit. i opened imovie and began importing the video files, then at the end it crashed. i opened the SD card in finder and when i tried to open the .jpg files i could only see the top of the picture and the other 70% was all greyed out. this is how all of them were, if they weren't all greyed all completely. i couldnt open the .mov files. when i opened the videos, they were pixellated and glitched, if they played at all.

I realized that I hadn't formatted the SD card, so I formatted it with the camera and did a software update on the macbook. i took some more test shots. this time iphoto opened, but most of the photos in the import preview didnt show up. when i tried to import them, it kept saying "iphoto could not import your photos because there was a problem downloading your image". When i tried to import them individually, it said that these .jpg files are all an "unrecognized file format".

i'm very confused about whats going on. i've formatted the sd card and tried this about 5 times now and i get the same results every time.

does anyone have any suggestions about what i can do or what the problem could be?

thank you.

16bitsystems  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2012, 03:41 AM

i was able to upload one picture from the sd card, straight to facebook and it worked, then i was able to import them to iphoto. i deleted those pics and did another test with pics and videos. this time, i couldnt import the photos or videos in iphoto, and i couldnt import them directly to facebook. when i open the photos in preview, they look mostly greyed out or pixellated, and the videos are either all black or all pixellated.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2012, 07:28 AM

and did a software update on the macbook
Was that one Apple Raw Compatibility Update 3.2 ?

Are you running iPhoto '09 ?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2012, 11:56 AM

Sounds like a corrupt/crap SD card.

16bitsystems  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2012, 03:25 PM

i am running iphoto 11. i don't think it's an issue with iphoto because i've imported files from a friend's t2i and SD card. i'm starting to think that the card is corrupt. i am going to check my camera and laptop with another card and see if that fixes things.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 1, 2012, 03:42 PM

I have a t2i as well, never had any issues importing. I do use ImageCapture for the imports, since I've yet to catch on to iPhoto. Sounds like a corrupt SD card, or a bad USB cable.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2012, 05:28 PM

I assumed he was inserting the SD card in his laptop card reader.

People still use cameras as card readers? They're so slow and flaky.

16bitsystems  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2012, 11:59 PM

yes i am inserting the card into the sd card reader on the macbook.

i did some troubleshooting with a friends camera/sd card and isolated the card as the problem. i returned it to the store and swapped it out for another, assuming it was either a glitch or that i had messed it up by not formatting it first.

so... i get a new card, format it, take pictures and video... i put the card in the laptop and i get the same results as before. i tried formatting the card on my laptop, then again in the camera and trying things again, and i got the same results again.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 2, 2012, 01:48 AM

With the SD card mounted, open Disk Utility. Click on the card icon (not the volume icon, the physical card icon just above the mounted volume) and hit command-I for Info. Copy what comes up and paste it here. I'm wondering about the partition scheme.

16bitsystems  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2012, 02:21 AM

i just took it back and got a SanDisk this time. there don't seem to be any problems.

i just saw this, so i didn't get a chance to copy the info. but i did perform repair disc on the card and then i erased it through disk utility if that tells you anything.

i'm not sure exactly what the deal was. i don't plan on getting any PNY gear again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules