Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is the activity monitor worthless?

Is the activity monitor worthless?
kevs
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 10:54 PM

Can someone help me here:

1) I'm playing a song in itunes and it says 8% cpu and word which is sleeping in the dock is at 9%.

2) I then start importing songs and itunes goes up to 128%??

3) I then do stuff in Photoshop and itunes is at 85% while Photoshop is at 66%??

4) It says page-outs are at 85,000, but of 1.2GB ram, 496MB is inactive and 40 is free??

thanks

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2004, 11:31 PM

Do you have a dual-CPU box?

Ganesha
Senior User
Jun 26, 2004, 12:38 AM

Free memory is wasted memory.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2004, 03:38 AM

To answer the thread title: no.

Originally posted by kevs:
1) I'm playing a song in itunes and it says 8% cpu and word which is sleeping in the dock is at 9%.
Playing a song means decoding MP3 or AAC which is a bit of work. 8% is ok. Word just sucks. I don't know why it has to hog CPU cycles like in the good old OS 8 days. I guess it has to do with the fact that people at MS can't write decent code.

2) I then start importing songs and itunes goes up to 128%??
2 CPUs = 2x100% = 200%

3) I then do stuff in Photoshop and itunes is at 85% while Photoshop is at 66%??
Why not? iTunes is encoding from raw audio to MP3 or AAC which is a lot of hard work. And btw, all together you're still under 200% so everything is fine.

4) It says page-outs are at 85,000, but of 1.2GB ram, 496MB is inactive and 40 is free??
You want to have zero free memory. It's wasted as somebody else here already mentioned. If you don't like the page-outs and page-ins, buy more RAM. But even people with tons of RAM will see those after leaving the machine running for long periods of time. If you boot daily (don't do it) you would see less.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2004, 11:26 AM

I don't use Word much anymore but I heard you can make it stop sucking up cpu while idle by turning off spell-check-as-you-type

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2004, 11:45 AM

Thanks. Just wanted to see if, in fact, activity monitor is really accurate.

I have dual 533, hence then I have 2 cpus, correct? Never thought of it that way for some reason -- it's like having 2 computers in a way I guess.

What's also weird is if I use terminal to check page out it always is 0.

but in activity monitor it's always some numer, low, high, always something there.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2004, 01:37 AM

I have dual 533, hence then I have 2 cpus, correct? Never thought of it that way for some reason -- it's like having 2 computers in a way I guess.

but in activity monitor it's always some numer, low, high, always something there.
I highly doubt you have zero pageouts. How exactly are you checking in the Terminal?

ast3r3x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2004, 09:47 AM

Activity monitor is just a visual representation of the 'top' command basically. Activity Monitor displays all the page-ins/page-outs that have gone on. 'top' displays how many have gone on and how many are still happening. The pageouts should be high if you use your machine for anything that makes it work a little. But it's good to not have any page outs currently.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 02:24 PM

Wataru:
Yes, I would just type in top, and it would say 0 pageouts.

Ganesha
Senior User
Jun 27, 2004, 03:48 PM

Wataru:
Yes, I would just type in top, and it would say 0 pageouts.
Depending on how you are running top, you my be seeing the number of pageouts that occurred during the last polling cycle.

Try 'vm_stat' instead.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 03:49 PM

That's because the Terminal shows you the page outs as they're happening. The Activity Monitor shows you the page outs accumulated since your last reboot.

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2004, 04:23 PM

0 page outs is near impossible, regardless of how much physical ram you have. OS X assigns an initial working set to all applications, and even though X's implementation allows for dynamic adjustment of its working sets, before said adjustment is made page outs are sure to occur.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 07:17 PM

Excellent Dale and others:
so while I did this from terminal I always thought everything was peaches and cream. Now I know, and know that the activity monitor is just as good. At what point in activity monitor would any of you be concerned as far as pageouts go?

Forum Links
Forum Rules