Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 upgrade

G4 upgrade
wede1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2005, 09:50 PM

G4 533MP Digital Audio. 1.2GB RAM, OSX.3.9.

Would like to extend the life of it for a while.
Would a processor upgrade, say 1.7 or so and one of the new FirmTek PCI-X adapters with a new hard drive be something to consider? This has been a sweet machine and I'd like to get as much life out of it as I can.

Thoughts, anyone?

TIA

pcd2k
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2005, 09:18 AM

ye sure the FirmTek PCI-X adapte looks good for my G4 to, thanks
sure is a hard issue whether to update my Quicksilver 800 or hold off for another machine
I'm presently happy with the machine but I need 756 more ram bigger hds faster/est processor DVD Writer better video card, hey am I talking about another machine ?

outsourced
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2005, 06:22 PM

After analyzing my options (new/upgrade), I upgraded my system with a Sonnet 1.4GHz CPU (from 400MHz) and an ATI 9000Pro video card.

I'm definitely happy with the upgrade. And it didn't cost a fortune! Now I can save for one of the second-gen Macintel systems.

I've also been wanting one of the Firmtek SATA cards. They just introduced their "2+2" card which allows for two external and two internal drives.

Hope this helps!
Did Schroedinger's cat think outside the box?

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 08:06 PM

For the $4-500 of upgrades, you could breath new life into that 533 and keep it usuable for a good while longer

My B & W/G4-650 w/ Raptor SATA drives & the Firmtek card runs really s w e e t !

Not sure if I would do this for a QS 800 though..........could probably sell it & go for a new DP 2.0 G5 with the cash ?????
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

pcd2k
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2005, 03:08 AM

Yes I'm kind of considering selling the quicksilver. Paid $800 AUS for it. Its probably not worth that now and I'd probably need another 800 cash which I don't have. I can upgrade it over time say 12 months but probably by then I'll be able to sell it as an antique. I do wish that Apple would start reducing the cost of their machines if only to keep sales running ?

wede1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2005, 11:16 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I appreciate it.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2005, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by outsourced
I've also been wanting one of the Firmtek SATA cards. They just introduced their "2+2" card which allows for two external and two internal drives.

Hope this helps!
Can you get inexpensive SATA drive enclosures? I have yet to find one that wasn't RAID or just plain expensive, so please let me know if you have.

Forum Links
Forum Rules