Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Counting/analysing files/folders

Counting/analysing files/folders
pcd2k
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2006, 11:36 PM

There is a handy little application that makes it possible to count the number of words in a document, but is there an application that can count say the number of bookmarks in say the Safari Bookmark Archive or the number of tunes in iTunes ?
I always wonder if there are any limitations one can have as to the number of items in Folders etc. ?
I use Panther and recently Safari seemed to be taking longer and longer to load.
After I altered the number of Folders within Folders within Folders in my Bookmark bar speed of loading returned. So I decided there was a limit within this aspect of Safari but speed may have returned after the latest software update, which it was I'm uncertain.
Anyway does an app exist that can count = add up and to some extent analyse contents etc ?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2006, 11:58 PM

The data you're talking about is all stored in XML files, so hypothetically it would be possible. I don't know of any apps made specifically to do that, though, and since it's XML it would be a bit involved to cook up something with POSIX tools.

As far as iTunes goes, the app tells you how many songs are in the library at the bottom of the window.

Forum Links
Forum Rules