Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes stuttering?

iTunes stuttering?
DIPESH14
Feb 20, 2006, 06:28 PM

Hey guys, its such a minor problem but I dont know why its doing it. Every song i play seems to pause and stutter at least once or twice through playing. Its only for a second but its so irritating! (especially when I'm singing at the top of my voice). Any idea of to what the problem is? (Its 6.0.3) Thanks in advance.

threestain
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2006, 06:51 PM

actually I get that occasionally/all the time and it is really really annoying!

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2006, 07:02 PM

I get that sometimes if I have iTunes playing in the background and I'm doing a lot of tab-switching in my web browser or it is loading a large web page. Yeah, it's pretty annoying, considering my last computer (an old G4 Power Mac) had zero such problems with far less CPU horsepower and memory.

It's done this since I got the machine, back in iTunes 5, IIRC. I'm running 6.0.2 right now--haven't upgraded yet.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2006, 08:22 PM

wh........at........?.......are......you.......t.. ...a.....lk....ing......a....b...out?

sorry for the stutter. i have no such probs on g4 1.25 powerbook. cept when listining to radio at work when coworker is dl'ing bitorrent.
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

DIPESH14  (op)
Feb 21, 2006, 03:18 PM

Oh well, at least i dont feel like the only one now! Most probably due to web pages, dl'ing and stuff.. but I used to do the same before without stuttering. Thanks for the advice guys.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2006, 03:21 PM

Failing hard drive ? My itunes (+16000 songs) doesn't do that.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

threestain
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2006, 08:10 PM

it might well be a failing hard drive - its been happening more and more and the TiBook is dying a death. But no indication of problems anywhere!

emark
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2006, 11:24 PM

Try watching the Activity Monitor in the unitlities folder.

Command-1 will bring up the main window.

Click Disc activity at the bottom to watch the drive, the cpu usage for different apps/threads is above in the main window...might give some insight as to the problem.

I experience stutter when my second hard drive spools up from sleep (even if it isn't where my tunes are...), and used to have a conflict with iTunes stuttering and Norton AV 10 running in background...i removed it, but with recent spate of viral/worm concerns put it back on...will give iTunes a listen and see if the Norton update fixes that glitch.

Good luck

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2006, 11:46 PM

Sometimes during heavy activity in other apps, iTunes stutters. Not normally, on my machine. On PCs iTunes is quite a stutterer when other apps are running, but that's probably because of the crappier multitasking in Windows

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

atlantaaction
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2006, 12:24 AM

my iTunes has started stuttering lately. its been fine until a week ago or so. i also tried to play music in Win Media Player and it did the same thing. any ideas?

pcd2k
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2006, 08:58 PM

Sometimes this may work (although I always experienced this problem in 6 so fat not in 7 cross fingers)
Best advice anyone gave me for Apple Software updates-

before one runs any and all Software updates
Always "Repair Disk Permissions" (ar la Disk Utility)

If that fails I run "Cache Out X" but only select appropriate elements

Forum Links
Forum Rules