Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Water spoilt keyboard

Water spoilt keyboard
pcd2k
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2006, 10:25 PM

The other day I accidently spilt a small amount of water on my keyboard.
Its the keyboard that accompanied the G4 Quicksilver {Jan 2002).

I would appreciate any suggestions as to how I should proceed. I'm hoping there is a way to recover its function, although there seem to be didly squat screws holding it together, so I'm expecting there may be a secret involved in taking it apart.
But is it also possible that the water inside may completely evaporate under certain conditions, like the weather outside today is extremely warm.

Chips G
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2006, 10:49 PM

I would recommend unplugging it (if you haven't already), and leaving it alone for a few days (rotating every few hours to let the water drain/evapourate).

If you are lucky it will work again once all the water is gone.
This signature is obsolete.

pcd2k  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2006, 11:54 PM

Sure, ok wonder how long I should wait ?

Nevertheless I'd still prefer to attempt to take it apart largely because before I had the accident the keys didn't quite compress properly, probably due to dust maybe even an insectual haven.

So seriously are there any hints available for dismantling the keyboard

vinster
Senior User
Oct 22, 2006, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by pcd2k View Post
The other day I accidently spilt a small amount of water on my keyboard.
Its the keyboard that accompanied the G4 Quicksilver {Jan 2002).

I would appreciate any suggestions as to how I should proceed. I'm hoping there is a way to recover its function, although there seem to be didly squat screws holding it together, so I'm expecting there may be a secret involved in taking it apart.
But is it also possible that the water inside may completely evaporate under certain conditions, like the weather outside today is extremely warm.
New keyboards are only $30, or so. You can even use a PC keyboard (the windows key = the command key on those). I'd get a new keyboard, especially since your old one was mushy anyway, and then experiment on your old one.

GuyWithACamera
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2006, 09:24 AM

You used to be able to wash keyboards (one geek even suggesting taking it into the shower with you ) as long as you let it dry out, even helped it along with an airhose.
I have no lid upon my head. But if I did, you
could look iniside and see what's on my
mind.

Forum Links
Forum Rules