Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > system wide services

system wide services
pcd2k
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2007, 05:14 AM

Anybody here use -
system wide services ?

I use them reasonably often in the Apple apps,
but I have been wondering if I can't get them working in other apps, Firefox in particular ?
I've been googling and searching Forum sites about
system wide services but all the posts about them don't seem to go past 2003 ! So I'm wondering if perhaps
system wide services have been superseded by something else, if so what ?
'open this url' in Safari is the one I use most and I wish in particular was available for Firefox et al.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2007, 05:56 AM

The Services menu has to be enabled in the code of an application. Cocoa applications (most of which come from Apple) get Services basically for free, while Carbon applications (the majority of applications around) have to be coded specifically to get support. An application like Firefox, which is a cross platform browser, will probably never get Services.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2007, 07:08 AM

Services would be ridiculously easy to implement for Firefox (it's basically the same code as Copy and Paste which Firefox already supports), so hopefully they will eventually get to support it.

In the meantime you can use Camino which uses the same rendering engine as Firefox, but with native support for more Mac features like Services.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 07:29 AM

yep, just use Camino, u kno u wanna
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules