Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Kernel Panics Galore

Kernel Panics Galore
prrcomm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2010, 09:57 AM

Mac G4 MDD, 2 GB RAM, Dual 1.25 MHz Processors, FW 800, OS X 10.5.8

My tale of woe...

A couple of weeks ago, my Mac started throwing kernel panics all over the place at random. One in particular was while attempting to burn a DVD with Toast Titanium 9, it would crash just as the disc started to burn.

I'd heard that USB 2 cards were suspect in many of these cases. So I removed it, to no avail. Then, I began the troubleshooting process. I performed a clean system install. I checked all my drives with Disc Utility and Disk Warrior. I checked the RAM and the PRAM battery. The crashes declined in frequency, but still exist. in particular, when I turn on my MOTU 828 Firewire Audio interface, it crashes immediately, So I deleted all MOTU software, including Digital Performer, and reinstalled the MOTU drivers. No change. Then, I booted in safe mode, and the problem disappeared. Additionally, rather than crashing in Toast Titanium, just before the disc burns, I get a "connection not stable" message, which renders the same effect.

I'm not so much concerned about exactly what the problem is as I am about whether it's with software or hardware. If it's hardware, I'll just get another computer, however, I don't want to do that if it's something in the software that can be corrected.

What's a mother to do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

In addition, when I used the Find command to locate MOTU software, nothing would show up that was in any of the Library folders. I had to find those files by hand. Am I doing something wrong?
Stan Davis Potopa
PRR Communications, Inc.
2410 18th Street
Altoona, PA 16601-2534
814-942-4504 Voice
814-942-4541 Fax
814-934-0514 Cell
[email protected]
http://www.prrcomm.net

Forum Links
Forum Rules