Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What Ram to by for imac G5

What Ram to by for imac G5
supernovamac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2004, 05:12 PM

What brand of pc3200 ram Is best for the new Imac g5? Is there a differance?

papplegate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2004, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by supernovamac:
What brand of pc3200 ram Is best for the new Imac g5? Is there a differance?
It depends on who you ask. I hear good things from Crucial, but I personally brought 2gb from Newegg.com ( PDA Systems, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...220-030&depa=1), because I read others that put it in their Macs with no problems, and you can't go wrong with $160 per 1 GB, just my opinion.
I am not sure of a difference, just read around and see what others have done, and if they have had problems.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Dec 2, 2004, 11:01 PM

I am using the Patriot RAM that papplegate linked to in his post( http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...220-030&depa=1 ). Been using it since September, when I bought 2x1GB sticks for my 20" iMac. Not a lick of trouble, the buss is in 128 bit mode and everything is working great.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

klinux
Senior User
Dec 3, 2004, 01:19 AM

Another thumbs up for the 1GB stick at Newegg. Works perfectly. Ran the hardware testing CD after install. No error then and no error now. OS X is great with a whole lotta RAM. Tempted to buy a second stick!
One iMac, iBook, one iPod, way too many PCs.

papplegate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2004, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by klinux:
Another thumbs up for the 1GB stick at Newegg. Works perfectly. Ran the hardware testing CD after install. No error then and no error now. OS X is great with a whole lotta RAM. Tempted to buy a second stick!
Glad it works well. I found out about them through this forum, and I hope to learn a lot more.

supernovamac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2004, 08:22 AM

I wonder why apple Ram is so expensive? After looking around. The prices for ram at apple webstore are too high. The best thing to do is by as little ram as possible and upgrade later.

papplegate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2004, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by supernovamac:
I wonder why apple Ram is so expensive? After looking around. The prices for ram at apple webstore are too high. The best thing to do is by as little ram as possible and upgrade later.
I agree, I took the stock 256MB, and got 2GB of my own. I think I saved about $1200 in the process.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2004, 07:33 AM

Hi, I have just ordered a G5 iMac and want to buy more ram. I am just wondering what kind of DDR-RAM to buy; the non-parity one or parity- the buffered or non-buffered !? I was looking at RAM prices today on a Danish site and noticed the difference in RAMs.

Can you guys help ?
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

supernovamac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2004, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by Fonzie:
Hi, I have just ordered a G5 iMac and want to buy more ram. I am just wondering what kind of DDR-RAM to buy; the non-parity one or parity- the buffered or non-buffered !? I was looking at RAM prices today on a Danish site and noticed the difference in RAMs.

Can you guys help ?
Try this site: www.crucial.com/eu/index.asp

There you find what ram you need....

PBG4 User
Senior User
Dec 15, 2004, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by Fonzie:

Can you guys help ?
You want non-buffered non-ECC RAM.

The full specs can be found here: --> http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86814

Here's the most important info.

iMac G5 computers work with memory modules (DIMMs) that meet all of these criteria: PC3200, unbuffered, nonparity, 184-pin, 400Mhz DDR SDRAM.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2004, 02:26 PM

Thanks guys. Very helpful info.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

Forum Links
Forum Rules