Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How much RAM is your Safari using right now?

View Poll Results: What's Safari's memory usage on your computer right now?
Poll Options:
< 50 MB 15 votes (20.00%)
50 - 99 MB 20 votes (26.67%)
100 - 149 MB 10 votes (13.33%)
150 - 199 MB 10 votes (13.33%)
200 MB or more 11 votes (14.67%)
Who cares? Just give me a Quad G5 Power Mac with 8 GB RAM and I'll be happy 9 votes (12.00%)
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll
How much RAM is your Safari using right now? (Page 2)
supernovamac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2005, 03:24 PM

My safari uses 250 MB ram. That is a lot...

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 31, 2005, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
Today's build seems to fix pretty much all of the memory leaks. Every complaint I had about leaking in the nightly builds are gone.

One of the biggest leak was plugged several days ago and was caused by simply closing a browser window or tab. I don't know what exactly changed today but Safari always returns to 78ish MB of real memory after I close a window with 8-tabs in it. I've been using the build for over 3 hours now with pages that make heavy use of CSS, Flash, etc. and Safari is behaving very, very well releasing all the memory it took for those pages.
I hope the fixes have made it into Safari 2.0.2 (416.12), which is what is included in OS X 10.4.3.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2005, 09:01 PM

Right now I am running Safari 2.0.1 and it is using 110 MB RAM and 711 MB virtual RAM. One window open and in it, three tabs open. It has been running less than a day.

Later tonight I am updating to OS 10.4.3 and Safari 2.0.2 and I hope there will be some difference.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2005, 09:18 AM

Well, after applying the 10.4.3 update and setting up a similar configuration as yesterday, three tabs in one window etc. the memory usage is 60 MB RAM and 200 MB virtual RAM. It seems to be an improvement as it should. Good stuff I reckon.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Nov 2, 2005, 12:10 AM

Surfin' Safari: WebKit Fixes in Safari 2.0.2 / Mac OS X 10.4.3

Eliminated many memory leaks and other sources of memory growth.
Fixed a bug where the WebKit page cache can grow without bound when there is a snapback item around.
Fixed several 32-byte leaks related to XMLHttpRequest.
Fixed a memory leak in KWQArrayImpl::resize().
Fixed many leaks of StyleBaseImpl called within computeAndStoreNodeDesiredStyle within -[WebView paste:].
Fixed many leaks of StyleBaseImpl called within fixupNodeStyles within -[WebView paste:].
Fixed many leaks of StyleBaseImpl within startMarkup within -[WebHTMLView _writeSelectionToPasteboard:].
Fixed many leaks of StyleBaseImpl within createMarkup within -[WebHTMLView _writeSelectionToPasteboard:].
Fixed many many leaks in JavaScript parsing.
Fixed additional parsing leaks on malformed JavaScript.
Fixed 14 leaks of WebFileButton and associated objects, seen after running WebKit layout tests.
All I can say is that Safari 2.0.2 definitely feels less bloated. It can still use a fair bit of memory, but it's much more manageable now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules