Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Toyota FJ Cruiser (jpg)

Toyota FJ Cruiser (jpg) (Page 2)
ledzeppelin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2005, 01:48 AM

They crossed a toyota land cruiser with a hummer.

MacTiger2006
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2005, 01:53 AM

They want it to compete with the H3... like a Japanease H3. I'm a Yota-nut and love it.
Real Patriots Ask Questions

Ratm
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
I'll be buying one.

See....now I have to hate the car.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness
These vehicles aren't truly SUV's. SUV's are built off of actual truck frames, not car frames. The Saab's and Subaru's and the new FJ aren't built off of truck frames, and besides they only have V-6's. Most cars have V-6's in them, and I don't see all you ****ing liberal tree huggers lashing out at them.
Picking nits: The Saab SUV is a rebadged Chevy Trailblazer, which is a body on frame design, and a frame design shared with the Colorado Pickup, I believe. So yes, the Saab is on a truck frame, or something equally archaic.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

BigBadWolf
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2005, 04:00 AM

I just saw that today at the San Diego Auto Show. I thought it was pretty ugly... and it was partitioned off so you couldn't go inside of it.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2005, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by MacTiger2006
Serious offroaders would ask you what kind of off roading do you plan on doing? than recomend SA or IFS.
I guess it depends what country you're in. There's no debate here, it's SA all the way. Period.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2005, 06:08 AM

It looks like a honda element had sex with a toyota land cruiser...not cool.

ShadowoftheColossus
Baninated
Jan 2, 2006, 09:08 PM

As well as another tree hugger SUV hater.
Actually what the world really needs is some retard obsessed with football.

GO TEAM! GET THE BALL! WIN THE GAME! GO TEAM!

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2006, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by scottiB

The manual transmission model has a clutch-start cancel switch on the dash that allows the vehicle to be started in gear without depressing the clutch. Serious off-roaders will appreciate this, since it allows you to restart the engine without rolling backwards if the FJ stalls on a hill.[/i]
In other words they ship it with a manual transmission for people who don't really know how to use a manual transmission...

ShadowoftheColossus
Baninated
Jan 3, 2006, 12:03 AM

These vehicles aren't truly SUV's. SUV's are built off of actual truck frames, not car frames. The Saab's and Subaru's and the new FJ aren't built off of truck frames, and besides they only have V-6's. Most cars have V-6's in them, and I don't see all you ****ing liberal tree huggers lashing out at them.
Uh... let's see. Lots of ground clearance, high center of gravity, piss poor handling and braking, and poor mpg. Yep, looks like an SUV to me. It isn't the frame of the vehicle that makes it an SUV, because most SUVs are driven as pathetic suburban types who don't want to admit they should really be driving a minivan. Such as yourself mr Dodge Durango.

BTW: Subaru doesn't sell V6s. But I doubt you could tell a spark plug from your asshole so I suppose the point is moot.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2006, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
And I'll tell ya why they didn't go the hybrid route.. no one's buying them. Money talks.
What? Hybrids are selling like hotcakes. Several car makers are currently debating to go hybrid for their entire lineup.

And that's a freaking toy. I mean, look at the C pillar. A huge blind spot for no apparent reason. If you want a proper offroading vehicle get yourself an old LR Defender or Toyota Landcruiser.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2006, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by ShadowoftheColossus

Football? That's UNC Basketball. National Champs last year.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2006, 06:31 AM

Uh... let's see. Lots of ground clearance, high center of gravity, piss poor handling and braking, and poor mpg. Yep, looks like an SUV to me. It isn't the frame of the vehicle that makes it an SUV, because most SUVs are driven as pathetic suburban types who don't want to admit they should really be driving a minivan. Such as yourself mr Dodge Durango.

BTW: Subaru doesn't sell V6s. But I doubt you could tell a spark plug from your asshole so I suppose the point is moot.

I use my Durango to deliver about 900 papers per day around the Hampton Roads area, asshole. My wife and I bring in about 7k to 8k per MONTH doing that, asshole.

Have a nice day, asshole.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 3, 2006, 07:54 AM

Rob, go away. No one wants you in here.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2006, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
If people are buying an SUV to drive around the city and some "country"-roads they're idiots
And 95+% of SUV sales are to people that drive them around the city. That is why the 'hippie tree huggers' complain about them all the time. People drive them because they're just too cool to have a minivan, yet they have three kids and a dog.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2006, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Speak for yourself. I kinda like Rob hanging out here.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2006, 10:14 AM

This is not the time of year to be mocking sports fans. A lot is on the line at some schools, UF and Scarolina especially.

Despite the pressures on modern guys to be feminine and sensitive, there will always be something alluring about sitting around with other guys behind your big SUV watching the game on TV. It's a lot more fun than sitting around on the internet, fretting over a truck's industrial design and CO emissions.
( Last edited by Kerrigan; Jan 3, 2006 at 10:24 AM. )

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2006, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
A lot is on the line at some schools, UF and Scarolina especially.
Huh?

ShadowoftheColossus
Baninated
Jan 3, 2006, 02:56 PM

Football? That's UNC Basketball. National Champs last year.
Whatever.

ShadowoftheColossus
Baninated
Jan 3, 2006, 03:01 PM

I use my Durango to deliver about 900 papers per day around the Hampton Roads area, asshole. My wife and I bring in about 7k to 8k per MONTH doing that, asshole.

Have a nice day, asshole.
Oh and these 900 papers per day must be in strange locations and you must have to cross streams and drive up mountains and tow large trailers full of newspapers right? Because that's why you'd NEED an SUV to deliver papers.

Because if you're just driving around on the road the whole time, you're a freakin' poser. Sorry. You are the type of suburban dueschebag who just can't come to grips with his own boring suburban reality. The best part is, your 'reasoning' for owning a durango is especially awful, because most papers get delivered on something like this:

But hey, at least you're consistent. You're doing a 12 year old's job (delivering papers) and you have the mind of a 12 year old (invalid reasoning abilities and an obsession with sports).

Go you!

PS: Do you have baseball cards taped to your rims so they make a cool noise when you're driving around?

ShadowoftheColossus
Baninated
Jan 3, 2006, 03:01 PM

I suggest you take your own advice.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 3, 2006, 03:46 PM

I'm not the one banned.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2006, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
And 95+% of SUV sales are to people that drive them around the city. That is why the 'hippie tree huggers' complain about them all the time. People drive them because they're just too cool to have a minivan, yet they have three kids and a dog.
Absolutely correct.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2006, 05:02 PM

Why does every thread in the lounge seem to end this way?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2006, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
Because hippies make it so.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 3, 2006, 05:12 PM

It's mainly any thread with SUVs in it. Certain people have problems controlling their irrational hatred towards certain objects.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2006, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Because hippies make it so.
It's not just hippies! I hate SUVs because they are monstruous opaque objects that obscure my vision. I think that if you're going to drive something the size of an Expedition, then it should be transparent so I can see what's on the other side of it.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2006, 05:17 PM

It's not just hippies!
No, pretty sure it's just hippies. Maybe you're a hippie and don't realise it?

I hate SUVs because they are monstruous opaque objects that obscure my vision. I think that if you're going to drive something the size of an Expedition, then it should be transparent so I can see what's on the other side of it.
Good driving technique dictates that you should hang back if you want a good view of the road ahead. I mean, what you've just described gives Lamborghini drivers a good reason to hate your average family car, right?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2006, 05:35 PM

No, pretty sure it's just hippies. Maybe you're a hippie and don't realise it?
This is always a possibility. Take me for example: On the outside a pretty normal looking bloke, on the inside definite hippy affiliations.

Who likes old Land Rovers. I'm confused.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 3, 2006, 05:35 PM

It's not just hippies! I hate SUVs because they are monstruous opaque objects that obscure my vision. I think that if you're going to drive something the size of an Expedition, then it should be transparent so I can see what's on the other side of it.
Yes but do you constantly derail threads with your hatred towards SUVs by personally attacking anyone that has one?

I see nothing wrong with someone disliking SUVs. Just as I see nothing wrong with somone liking them.

It's when your dislike makes you attack people and be hateful does it become a problem.

ShadowoftheColossus
Baninated
Jan 3, 2006, 05:40 PM

Because dumbasses who think that capitalism is the answer for everything refuse to acknowledge facts about SUVs. They hear them, then they ignore them. It's pretty sad taht some people are that stupid really.

ShadowoftheColossus
Baninated
Jan 3, 2006, 05:41 PM

It's mainly any thread with SUVs in it. Certain people have problems controlling their irrational hatred towards certain objects.
And certain people have problems controlling their irrational passive aggressiveness towards other members.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2006, 05:41 PM

What is irrational about disliking a class of vehicles that consume a disproportionate amount of natural resources both in production and during every day use, vehicles that are dangerous both the passengers (roll over) and to other road users (rigid frames, no crumple zones, frame height at car passenger head level bypassing safety features), carry dead weight with them (AWD that's rarely used) and are mostly driven by people who have no reason at all for driving one (anybody who doesn't tow heavy loads at least weekly or lives on a farm or away from well maintained roads)?

ShadowoftheColossus
Baninated
Jan 3, 2006, 05:42 PM

Good driving technique dictates that you should hang back if you want a good view of the road ahead. ?
Have you driven behind an expedition? You'd have to be like 8 car lengths back, meaning that someone else would slip in between you two. By that rational, whenever you saw an SUV you'd just have to slow down 10mph and never pass one, ever.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
Who likes old Land Rovers. I'm insane.
Fixinated.
I've spent time with Series vehicles. I know where you're at, you loony.

ShadowoftheColossus
Baninated
Jan 3, 2006, 05:43 PM

Yes but do you constantly derail threads with your hatred towards SUVs by personally attacking anyone that has one?
Actually the first attack in this thread was by the ignorant 'tarheels' GO TEAM GET THE BALL AND WIN THE GAME guy. And he was attacking people who dislike SUVs, calling them ignorant and then spewing out a bunch of incorrect things about SUVs.

ShadowoftheColossus
Baninated
Jan 3, 2006, 05:44 PM

What is irrational about disliking a class of vehicles that consume a disproportionate amount of natural resources both in production and during every day use, vehicles that are dangerous both the passengers (roll over) and to other road users (rigid frames, no crumple zones, frame height at car passenger head level bypassing safety features), carry dead weight with them (AWD that's rarely used) and are mostly driven by people who have no reason at all for driving one (anybody who doesn't tow heavy loads at least weekly or lives on a farm or away from well maintained roads)?
Nothing. But some people are totally irrational. Look at 99% of the SUV drivers in America.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2006, 05:46 PM

Have you driven behind an expedition? You'd have to be like 8 car lengths back
Dude, if you're driving properly you should be about eight car lengths back anyways.

ShadowoftheColossus
Baninated
Jan 3, 2006, 05:47 PM

Dude, if you're driving properly you should be about eight car lengths back anyways.
Right. Well here in america 8 car lengths= 3 people get in front of you.

ShadowoftheColossus
Baninated
Jan 3, 2006, 05:48 PM

Anyone who is pro SUV should respond to my short novel here:

http://www.zen10381.zen.co.uk/rob/suvcounterpoint.html

So far nobody has stepped up to the plate. I have factual information and logic on my side. What do you have? Nothing. I decimated every argument SUV owners have with logic, reasoning, and factual information backed up with government information and other decent sources.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2006, 06:21 PM

Oh and these 900 papers per day must be in strange locations and you must have to cross streams and drive up mountains and tow large trailers full of newspapers right? Because that's why you'd NEED an SUV to deliver papers.

Because if you're just driving around on the road the whole time, you're a freakin' poser. Sorry. You are the type of suburban dueschebag who just can't come to grips with his own boring suburban reality. The best part is, your 'reasoning' for owning a durango is especially awful, because most papers get delivered on something like this:

But hey, at least you're consistent. You're doing a 12 year old's job (delivering papers) and you have the mind of a 12 year old (invalid reasoning abilities and an obsession with sports).

Go you!

PS: Do you have baseball cards taped to your rims so they make a cool noise when you're driving around?
Well, my 12 year old has me laughing all the way to the bank. So does my Navy pay. Asshole deushbag.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2006, 06:22 PM

Sort of like your melon, so we can see if there is a brain in there?

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2006, 06:24 PM

Because dumbasses who think that capitalism is the answer for everything refuse to acknowledge facts about SUVs. They hear them, then they ignore them. It's pretty sad taht some people are that stupid really.

What facts? Gas mileage? Okay, what gets worse gas mileage? My 4.7L v8 Durango or a Magnum SRT-8?

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2006, 06:24 PM

Right. Well here in america 8 car lengths= 3 people get in front of you.

Run them over, I do.

ShadowoftheColossus
Baninated
Jan 3, 2006, 06:25 PM

Sort of like your melon, so we can see if there is a brain in there?
Yet another stunning intellectual conclusion drawn by an SUV owner. Wow. You should write that type of stuff down man, it's just so intelligent and enlightening!

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2006, 06:25 PM

Actually the first attack in this thread was by the ignorant 'tarheels' GO TEAM GET THE BALL AND WIN THE GAME guy. And he was attacking people who dislike SUVs, calling them ignorant and then spewing out a bunch of incorrect things about SUVs.

Really? YOU'RE the pussy asshole who started the GO TEAM GO idiocy.

ShadowoftheColossus
Baninated
Jan 3, 2006, 06:29 PM

What facts? Gas mileage? Okay, what gets worse gas mileage? My 4.7L v8 Durango or a Magnum SRT-8?
You mean a car that is sold in small numbers specifically to people after high performance acceleration, braking and handling? Oh. They get within 1 mpg to your Sport Non-Utility Vehicle. The one you purchased to avoid admitting you're a boring suburban person so you can pretend you're still exciting. The SRT8 gets 15, your SUV gets 16. The majority of the magnums sold will all get superior gas mileage to your poser-mobile, and all of them will have better braking, handling, safety for yourself, and safety for others.

Thing is, you're comparing one of the worst possible cars to your average SUV. Stupid comparison, made by a stupid person.

ShadowoftheColossus
Baninated
Jan 3, 2006, 06:30 PM

Only because you attacked anybody who dislikes SUVs and said a bunch of ignorant incorrect BS. V6s in subarus?! Yeah, whatever! Kinda like that radial engine and CVT in your dodge, right?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2006, 06:31 PM

Cut it out already with the swearing for crying out loud. What is this, freaking kindergarten or what?

"He started it."
"No, he started it."
"No, he started it."

Ad infinitum. For ****'s sake.

ShadowoftheColossus
Baninated
Jan 3, 2006, 06:33 PM

Cut it out already with the swearing for crying out loud. What is this, freaking kindergarten or what?

"He started it."
"No, he started it."
"No, he started it."

Ad infinitum. For ****'s sake.
But he did. Here's a quote, and the thread was polite up until his ignorant stupid post filled with incorrect information.

"Most cars have V-6's in them, and I don't see all you ****ing liberal tree huggers lashing out at them."

Forum Links
Forum Rules