Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook G4 512MB -- CL2 or CL3 RAM ?

PowerBook G4 512MB -- CL2 or CL3 RAM ?
iDORK
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2002, 02:26 AM

Hi,

I'm interested in installing a 512MB PC133 SODIMM in my PowerBook G4 1GHz but I'm contemplating between the Samsung 512MB CL3 PC133 or Infineon 512MB PC133 CL2.
Which RAM manufacturer would you guys recommend? I will be installing one of these SODIMM stick with the already installed 256MB DIMMM by Apple for a total of 768MB.

I believed the 256MB DIMM already installed by Apple runs at Cas Latency 2 but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any suggestions!

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2002, 03:28 AM

Originally posted by iDORK:
Hi,

I'm interested in installing a 512MB PC133 SODIMM in my PowerBook G4 1GHz but I'm contemplating between the Samsung 512MB CL3 PC133 or Infineon 512MB PC133 CL2.
Which RAM manufacturer would you guys recommend? I will be installing one of these SODIMM stick with the already installed 256MB DIMMM by Apple for a total of 768MB.

I believed the 256MB DIMM already installed by Apple runs at Cas Latency 2 but I'm not sure.

Depending on whether the already installed stick is CL2 or CL3, get that. You should be able to get that information by running Apple System Profiler under OS 9, not X !!
You won't feel any difference between CL3 and CL2 though so you might as well just get the cheaper RAM, both are great.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

iDORK  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2002, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by D'Espice:

Depending on whether the already installed stick is CL2 or CL3, get that. You should be able to get that information by running Apple System Profiler under OS 9, not X !!
You won't feel any difference between CL3 and CL2 though so you might as well just get the cheaper RAM, both are great.
Thanks for letting me know!

dajay
Dec 4, 2002, 10:40 AM

Has anyone checked that out yet? If so, what is the cas latency of the installed ram?

x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2002, 11:35 AM

I read an Apple KB article saying that the new PowerMacs have CL3 installed and it sounded like they use CL3 in everything.

I'll check my tibook when I get it today.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2002, 12:19 PM

My PowerMac G4 came with 2x64MB PC100-222 memory sticks... OK that was a long time ago but still..
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

azark
Dec 4, 2002, 12:23 PM

My Ghz Ti-Book came with two 512MB Samsung CL3 SODIMM.
PB 1Ghz 1024 Combo
G4 400 AGP

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2002, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by iDORK:
Hi,

Where did you find the Infineon 512 MB PC133 CL2? I have not yet seen this anywhere locally.

If it's only marginally more expensive, then get the Infineon. There is always a possibility you might upgrade the other 256 MB stick later, even if it's only CL3 now. If there is a significant difference in price though, then get the Samsung (unless you've got money to blow).

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2002, 02:07 PM

My TiBook also came with two CL3 Samsung 512's. If you buy the Samsung memory separately from a third party, I've seen it at about $180 per module. Can't remember where, though. Apple charges $200 a module.

Mushkin is a high end RAM maker that uses Infineon in its desktop modules. I don't know about their laptop modules because I've never bought laptop RAM from a third party before. But their laptop RAM is $209 per module for the 512, for some kind of low-voltage, "ball grid array" (special soldering technique that reduces electricity use) module, so I'm sure it's good.

Actually, my Mushkin modules for my desktop are CL2 512 -- but they are 2-3-3, not 2-2-2. When I asked them about this (I purchased them a year ago), they said it was not yet possible to make reliable (at least by their standards) memory running at 2-2-2. Maybe by now that has changed, but the laptop memory is higher density than desktop, so I'm not sure true 2-2-2 memory is even available yet in a 512 for a laptop, whereas it is probably already the standard at 128 and 256.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2002, 02:46 PM

Yeah, I just a brief supercial google search. I still can't find ANY true CAS2 PC133 SDRAM 512 MB 144-pin SODIMM anywhere.

Do you have a link, iDORK?

Forum Links
Forum Rules