Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > G3 PowerBook monitor: menu appears in multiple horizontal strips.

G3 PowerBook monitor: menu appears in multiple horizontal strips.
Hans M Aus
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2000, 12:44 PM

What causes the following display problem in a G3 PowerBook (Wallstreet)?

The menu appears 12 to 15 times in horizontal strips across the monitor. After bringing the PowerBook to the dealer, the same problem occurred, but after he moved the PowerBook around the problem disappeared. Before this happen, I repeatedly and randomly heard a cracking sound over a period of several months. 8(

------------------
Cheers, Hans M. Aus, Wuerzburg, [email protected]
Cheers, Hans M. Aus, Würzburg,

stetsows
Aug 7, 2000, 11:53 AM

My feeling is that there is probably a defect in to ATi chip. This sounds like a graphics chip problem.. Makle sure your drivers are up to date. Also if you have installed drivers from ATi's website, uninstall them. They are not the same ones provided by Apple.

One other serious problem has surfaced recently as reported on the macitouch website. A reader "RF shielding shorting out his power connection" This caused damage to his sound card, and can no longer run off the AC or charge his battery. The entire story can be found in the recent news area of the macintouch website.
Knowledge is Liberty

Damien
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2000, 01:08 PM

This issue may be related to a known-issue with the video that connects your display to the logic board. The cable is routed from the left side of your display (internally. of course) to the board. Because the cable is routed past the hinge of your Wallstreet, repeated opening and closing of the PowerBook can sometimes cause the cable to wear, break, or become disconnected inside the display. Next time this display misbehaviour occurs, try gently squeezing your display on the left hand side. If the display issue stops when you squeeze, it's probably this cable.

Unfortunately, this problem can only really be fixed by a dealer, and probably he'll have to send the unit to Apple for repair.

------------------
Damien Barrett
http://www.mrbarrett.com

havegreed
Aug 7, 2000, 02:32 PM

Give the display a good hard slap on the back. Seriously. This cured my WallStreet display problems.

mavis
Aug 7, 2000, 04:49 PM

If the display is a 13" Active. It is a known issue at Apple. If you squeeze the display case on the left side and the problem goes away, you are in luck. Contact Apple or an authorized repair center. The machine will have to go to Apple but the repair should be free.

agrothey
Aug 7, 2000, 04:50 PM

Damien is right. I had the same problem with my Wallstreet 250. Although the problem appeared after more than 12 months after purchase the repair was covered by Apple warranty. Now everything works perfectly.

whitedb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2000, 06:55 PM

It does sound like the Cable Problem. It happened to me twice. The first time after 3 months and then again after 15 months. Apple repaired it for free on both occasions.

Hans M Aus  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2000, 06:18 AM

Many thanks for all the informative information; I received my PowerBook yesterday.

It was the cable.

------------------
Cheers, Hans M. Aus, Wuerzburg, [email protected]
Cheers, Hans M. Aus, Würzburg,

Forum Links
Forum Rules