Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Merits of Firewire Networking Vers Eithernet

Merits of Firewire Networking Vers Eithernet
graphics84
Senior User
Jan 26, 2005, 08:42 PM

Hello Folks

I have a rather complicated network mostly to support users of 2 house holds, I have lots of wire strung and a wireless bridge between my main access point and my network (involving a WLAN antenna through Fire2wire, because I live way to far out for DSL or Cable).

So I need to support about 5 machines... at any given time

My main creative mac is a G5 and I have a Titanium that's my main email/ traveling machine. I have to transfer files all the time between these two machines for travel/backups/updates/etc... and I just have a 1mb ethernet network (slow)... I do have a firewire cable or two laying about so I was considering doing the DCHP internet sharing between the G5 and my PB to increase file transfer speed but I'm wondering what that will do to my multiple FW HD's i have...

So:

Is it worth the trouble? (speed, and potential HD problems)

Do I need a Firewire hub to put it off?

Will My PB be able to access the FW HDs too?

I do some bit-torrent downloads (legal as far as you know) form my PB will the software firewall on the G5 be a pain to configure?

Would it just be easier to buy 2 gigabit cables and a gigabit hub? cheaper?

What do you guys think? I've always been intrigued by this option on my Mac.

thanks

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2005, 09:32 PM

If you have gigabit on both machines, that would be faster than firewire. All you need is a good ethernet cable (go for Cat6). Now, if you are already using the ethernet ports, then you can get a gigabit switch--they aren't too expensive anymore.

You said 1mbit, which doesn't exist. There's 10, 100, and 1000, as far as included in Apple hardware is concerned.

As far as Bit Torrent is concerned, you won't get any kind of reasonable speed unless the incoming requests are forwarded properly.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

graphics84  (op)
Senior User
Jan 26, 2005, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by Detrius:
If you have gigabit on both machines, that would be faster than firewire. All you need is a good ethernet cable (go for Cat6). Now, if you are already using the ethernet ports, then you can get a gigabit switch--they aren't too expensive anymore.

You said 1mbit, which doesn't exist. There's 10, 100, and 1000, as far as included in Apple hardware is concerned.

As far as Bit Torrent is concerned, you won't get any kind of reasonable speed unless the incoming requests are forwarded properly.
cool, I guess I meant 10... I knew it was the slowest, I get 1 gig transfers from machine to machine of like 20 mins and I think it's because of the Airport being the router...

The thing is I'm not a "network" guy and I hate setting up routers and the like so If I just up the speed on the G5 and Ti I would be happy...

Here's a quick and dirty overview of my network

network

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 12:32 AM

I'm looking for info on this subject too. I am considering picking up one of the iMac G5s, but am concerned about the lack of gigabit ethernet. I'd like to have 1 or 2 or possibly 3 iMacs and or G5s connected and perhaps sharing a common large drive to share files between.
Is FW networking strictly 1 machine to another? Can it be connected to a gigabit network? How is it implemented? Any help appreciated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules