Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How happy were you with MacWorld?

View Poll Results: How happy were you with MacWorld?
Poll Options:
0 (not happy at all) 1 votes (1.92%)
1 2 votes (3.85%)
2 5 votes (9.62%)
3 13 votes (25.00%)
4 2 votes (3.85%)
5 12 votes (23.08%)
6 2 votes (3.85%)
7 7 votes (13.46%)
8 4 votes (7.69%)
9 1 votes (1.92%)
10 (couldn't be happier) 3 votes (5.77%)
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll
How happy were you with MacWorld?
kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2009, 02:45 PM

No Mac Mini, no iMac ... it was a generic-good-expo but nowhere near as good as I had hoped it would be. You?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2009, 02:52 PM

I really don't care, because probably I wasn't going to be buying anything... but I do like to get new things to oogle at and I don't even get that...

DRM free iTunes store gets them a few points... so I give them a 2.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Untitled member
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2009, 03:39 PM

only thing that caught my attention was DRM-free iTunes tracks and price changes. iLife and iWork demos are about as interesting to me as a spreadsheet tutorial.

No Snow Leopard preview
No Apple TV updates
No Pro apps info (though that's not a usual feature at MW)
no mini updates

and to cap it all, my AAPL stock is down.

You suck, Stevie, ya skinny bastard

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2009, 03:43 PM

I wasn't there, so its no skin off my nose. Since I'm pretty content with my setup and wasn't waiting for much, I wasn't disappointed much. I was hoping to see an update to Aperture but I wasn't holding my breath on that.
~Mike

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2009, 03:55 PM

Not happy, not sad - just bored.
I was really hoping for iPhone firmware updates to see what standard features we might gain,
but that was just the crack talking.

I would like to see the new MBP in action and really test that battery out, but that's it.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2009, 04:01 PM

Wow, $1.29 to buy a song and 30¢ per track to get rid of the DRM on our existing songs? I hope lube is included in those prices.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2009, 04:42 PM

Worst. Keynote. Ever.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2009, 04:48 PM

It was pretty lame.

I wonder if Steve refused to do the keynote because we wouldn't wanna go down holding his worst keynote evar.

-t

Jens Peter
Senior User
Jan 6, 2009, 05:55 PM

I think it way, well some below average. But then again, Apple have begun announcing new machines at other times than their conferences, so I had not expected any new update on the hardware side. Perhaps the Mac Mini, iMac and MacPro needs an update, but they will follow, either as a spin-off on MacWorld or at a smaller event at apple - like when the new Macbooks were lauched.

But I like iLife, and I think it looks promising

design219
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2009, 05:57 PM

What's MacWorld?

Just kidding.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2009, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jens Peter View Post
But I like iLife, and I think it looks promising
Yes, that's the silver lining.

Otehr than that, it was FailWorld.

-t

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2009, 06:16 PM

iweb can FINALLY ftp directly to a host! Yeeeeah. Now if only i had Leopard...

wow wow wow wow wow wait, there is more! It can now "easily manage several websites"!! Oh my GAWD!!! Armageddon is upon us folks!!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2009, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by villalobos View Post
iweb can FINALLY ftp directly to a host! Yeeeeah. Now if only i had Leopard...
It could already do that, you just needed to install MacFUSE and MacFusion.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2009, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
It could already do that, you just needed to install MacFUSE and MacFusion.
How is that directly if I have to install something???

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2009, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by villalobos View Post
How is that directly if I have to install something???
You install it ONE time, and do it directly thereafter.

-t

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2009, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
You install it ONE time, and do it directly thereafter.

-t
Ok, so iWeb can now NATIVELY ftp sites to your host of choice!!!! I am still excited!!!

The question is does it behave the same way as when used with .mac/mobileme, and does NOT republish the whole website each time but only what has been changed? That's actually the part that would excite me the most.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2009, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Wow, $1.29 to buy a song and 30¢ per track to get rid of the DRM on our existing songs? I hope lube is included in those prices.
Actually, 30¢ per track to get rid of the DRM *and* upgrade from 128 kbps AAC to 256 kbps AAC is pretty darn good. Considering my only other options were to: 1. Rebuy the music outright at Amazon (I'm NOT going to pay another 99¢ a track for what I already bought) or 2. Buy the physical CD and re-rip.

Not to mention that when you upgrade your music, it keeps your custom ID3 tags if you changed them and it also keeps your play count and other stats.

I'm not likely to ever be interested in buying the $1.29 tracks. I probably wouldn't have been interested in buying them when they were 99¢ either.

Time will tell whether $1.29 a track forces a mass exodus (unlikely) to pirating.

EDIT: Oh, and as for the keynote... this is about what I was expecting. Except that I wanted to see Snow Leopard too.

Cold Warrior
Jan 6, 2009, 07:34 PM

I didn't really get excited about it. I didn't expect anything insanely great so I checked in on the headlines while at work and was ok.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2009, 08:20 PM

iDisappointed™

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2009, 08:22 PM

Let's just hope this is Apple's way of charitably saying bye bye to the event. I hope to see more in the next few weeks or next month.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2009, 08:36 PM

I don't see why people get so upset about it. A company doesn't release what some people want and all hell breaks loose? People whine incessantly and bemoan the company? Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria. I already own a Macbook, what do I care if they don't release a new one or a new iMac? No sweat off my shaved privates.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2009, 08:53 PM

Uh…what? The only post in this thread that sounded remotely upset is my one about Apple's obscene iTunes pricing. Everyone else just seems to be underwhelmed.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2009, 08:54 PM

No DRM makes me incredibly happy, but I couldn't care less about the rest. I expected nice little updates to iLife and iWork. Woo hoo...

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2009, 09:56 PM

The best part is iWork '09. I'm a big iWork '08 user, so it's good to see the new features added. iLife is forgettable, and the 17" MBP is too much for me, so I don't care about that stuff.

Edit: What happened to push notification that we were promised to have by September?
( Last edited by imitchellg5; Jan 6, 2009 at 10:06 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2009, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Edit: What happened to push notification that we were promised to have by September?
Got pushed. Out.

*rimshot*

-t

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2009, 11:16 PM

I wasnt expecting anything 'wow', but an hour long demo of iPhoto and iMovie ? sheesh, kinda boring. More hardware upgrades would have been nice (although i do admit it's the wrong time to do so).

I was looking forward to Snow Leopard, but understand why Apple would want to keep it away from Microsoft's copying eyes seeing as how that company is probably more desperate now than ever.

Cheers

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2009, 05:17 AM

This wasn't the most thrilling keynote, but no one should have been expecting that anyway. The consumer software development (iLife and iWork) represent solid gains, and the 17" MBP is quite impressive, from all outward appearances thus far. Everyone should have realized that we weren't going to get multiple hardware roll-outs out of this keynote. Apple is ending the Macworld keynote and has been moving away from loading the keynote with multiple hardware announcements for years now, in order to break the Apple audience from suspending hardware purchases anywhere near the expos. You'll see the other computers announced in the February-March period. Yes, a Steve-note would have been better, but not tremendously better - even Steve can be boring when discussing software features.

7/10.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2009, 05:18 AM

I'm hoping that Apple do something like what they did last year, pretty much a launch every Tuesday for the first few months of the year. But then didn't they also release a Mac Pro update the week before MW?

The show itself didn't seem great, either something has fallen through and they padded the time with iLife and iWork, or its flicking a finger to Macworld as they walk out the door.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2009, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
A company doesn't release what some people want and all hell breaks loose? People whine incessantly and bemoan the company?
This is EXACTLY why Apple won't be doing Macworld any more. Every year it's the same story. Wildly huge expectations that can NEVER be fulfilled, and then when people don't get them, they whine and cry about it. Wash, Rinse, Repeat next year...

Not to mention that stock goes up because of all the unreasonable speculation and then when those unreasonable expectations aren't realized the stock tanks.
( Last edited by Person Man; Jan 7, 2009 at 01:01 PM. )

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2009, 10:56 AM

While I wasn't overly excited and expecting the world from this presentation, I was expecting more.

That being said. software upgrades worth showing off are always nice. If you consider the alternative, often delivered from the folks in Redmond, a release date is scheduled, a new release date is scheduled, reasons for the delay come out and eventually the software comes out. This may be the reason we did not see Snow Leopard, or as 1 poster mentioned, maybe it's to keep Microsoft off of Apple or it's because it's all under the hood and not worth showing. I think the Mac Box Set will be replaced by Snow Leopard and the price will remain the same - I could not imagine spending $129 for an under the hood fix up, that's a little to Redmond-esque for my taste.

As far as hardware, I suspect we'll see some type of event invitation within a month announcing new Mac Mini's and speedbumps to the iMacs and Mac Pros.

The real question, when will the 32gb iPhone be announced along with the death of the original iPod?
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2009, 10:59 AM

I wasn't expecting much, so I'm not too disappointed. I'm waiting for another year to upgrade from my PowerBook, anyway.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2009, 12:04 PM

I think the iTunes announcement has me the most disappointed. I'm glad the pricing tiers aren't $1,$2, and $3, but I expect that the time is not far away that that will become the standard. No DRM is a big, and positive step for iTunes, but I can't help but think that all together, Consumers are ultimately losing in this game.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2009, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Proudest Monkey View Post
The real question, when will the 32gb iPhone be announced along with the death of the original iPod?
While I own a 32 GB iPod Touch, I have a 160 GB iPod Classic that holds my entire music library. (and don't tell me that's weird. Plenty of people like to have all their music with them).

Unless Apple comes out with a 128 GB iPod Touch (at least), there had better be a large capacity iPod available. (The availability of a 128 GB iPod Touch may be sooner than we think, given that a 256 GB SSD is a BTO option on the new 17" MacBook Pro for $900).

kylef  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2009, 01:16 PM

Q: do you think iLife '09 will be given as an update to those who purchased new Unibody MacBooks? I noticed during MW they said "ships on all systems" (or something similar with that same end-definition). For someone to buy a new unibody MacBook exactly the same as one that was bought 4 months ago by another person and for them to get the latest software whilst the other person wouldn't would seem a bit unfair to me!

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2009, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
While I own a 32 GB iPod Touch, I have a 160 GB iPod Classic that holds my entire music library. (and don't tell me that's weird. Plenty of people like to have all their music with them).

Unless Apple comes out with a 128 GB iPod Touch (at least), there had better be a large capacity iPod available. (The availability of a 128 GB iPod Touch may be sooner than we think, given that a 256 GB SSD is a BTO option on the new 17" MacBook Pro for $900).
Woah, at that price point we really are seeing the re-emergence of the Newton

I think if Apple drops the iPod Classic, they're going to lose a lot of potential customers. Americans in general I think want to have the ability to do something, rather than the need to actually do it. More people want to have their entire music library with them, even though they listen to the same 200 songs every week. Same reason super-compact and alternative fuel vehicles haven't caught on. We want to make sure that we can drive for 300 miles on a single fueling and navigate very rough terrain, though in all likely-hood we drive 5-20 miles to work on paved, well-kept roads most days, if not for the entire life of the car.

On the other hand, if there's any company willing to ditch an old technology in light of a newer one, it's Apple (The non-removable battery really surprised me)
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2009, 02:29 PM

Even if Steve has delivered this year's Keynote, he'd have been roundly criticized for lackluster announcements. Plus, MacWorld no longer fits into Apple's retail strategy, where products really should be introduced prior to the main holiday buying season.

Didn't anyone else see the significance of this statement: 100 Macworlds each and every week, visiting the Apple Stores?

"9:05 PT - DM: 3.4 million customers visiting an Apple Store around the world every week. That's 100 Macworlds each and every week (ouch). The Mac is still an important part of business. "And so today is all about the Mac. I think that's appropriate, at Macworld, to talk about the Mac."..."

http://www.macworld.com/article/1377...expo_live.html

Apple did rather cynically exploit this year's MacWorld, by introducing the unibody MB and MBP early, then announcing a very different unibody 17" MBP later. Can you imagine the storm of protest had these been announced side-by-side? First, Apple adds easy HD access to the 15" MBP, which already had easy RAM and battery access, THEN Apple takes away easy these same things from the 17" MBP.

So, of course, Apple couldn't introduce these new 15" and 17" unibody MBPs at the same time. The uproar would have been doubly enormous. Half the people would be insanely upset about why the 15" MBP didn't get this radically new longer lasting battery, the other half would have been insanely upset about why the unibody 17" couldn't be just like the new unibody 15", with easy access to RAM, HD, and battery.

Good riddance to MacWorld keynotes, is what I say.

The Keynote did take a lot of heat off of speculations about Steve's health...that's a very, very good thing.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2009, 02:36 PM

Plus, for $50 Apple is offering a non-glare upgrade to the 17", but they're not offering it for the 15" unibody.

How lame is that?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2009, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by kylef View Post
For someone to buy a new unibody MacBook exactly the same as one that was bought 4 months ago by another person and for them to get the latest software whilst the other person wouldn't would seem a bit unfair to me!
Are you kidding ? What's unfair about it ?

Did Apple force you to buy it 4 months ago ?
Where you promised to get a free upgrade of the iLife suite ?

Get used to it: electronics will always fall in price, and waiting will always get you more features for less money. If you didn't know that, well, welcome to real life.

-t

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2009, 02:52 PM

Anyone here think they will upgrade the iPhone on an annual basis ? And when is Snow Leopard set to ship ?

kylef  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2009, 04:38 PM

Get used to it: electronics will always fall in price, and waiting will always get you more features for less money. If you didn't know that, well, welcome to real life.

-t
No - I can understand it if it is a new product. Or even a new revision. But not the same product at the same price.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2009, 04:48 PM

No - I can understand it if it is a new product. Or even a new revision. But not the same product at the same price.
What are you talking about ?

You bought a MacBook with iLife 08 - and that's what you got.
Now you can buy a Macbook with iLife 09 - and that's what you get.

In between, a new revision of the iLife software came out.

-t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2009, 05:01 PM

It's not unfair, but certainly Apple should have been offering the option the whole time, at least for MBP customers who are accustomed to having a matte option. This announcement proves it can be done cheaply.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

kylef  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2009, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It's not unfair, but certainly Apple should have been offering the option the whole time, at least for MBP customers who are accustomed to having a matte option. This announcement proves it can be done cheaply.
FYI I was talking about iLife '09 but it works in that scenario too.

In between, a new revision of the iLife software came out.

-t
I was referring about a revision of the MacBook - not the software.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2009, 05:20 PM

FYI I was talking about iLife '09 but it works in that scenario too.
Ah, I see. Bundled software is a little different, but I agree that recent buyers should get free upgrades when major new versions debut. Apple used to provide Apple Up-to-Date coupons to help customers in those situations.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2009, 05:50 PM

Goddammit Apple!!!! I bought a G3 Powerbook 8 years ago and I should get a ****ing rebate or something because you know release the new 17"??????? **** you Stevie, I hope your company plummets to the penny stock market!!!!!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2009, 06:07 PM

MIssing an option for "don't care."

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2009, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
MIssing an option for "don't care."

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2009, 06:19 PM

I'm a Mac nerd through and through but I don't see why everyone expects to blown away by every public announcement Apple gives.

You mean they didn't release a 17" matte MacBook Pro with a quantum diamond processor with support for up to 4TB of RAM and seventeen Firewie ports!?! What the hell Apple!?

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2009, 06:21 PM

Confirmed to David Pogue by Phil Schiller: Apple lineup at MacWorld wasn't worth Steve's time...

"Interviewed after the show, Pogue said that he did not intend to make light of Jobs’ health problems. He believes that the real reason Apple’s CEO skipped the keynote — confirmed, he says, by senior vice president Phil Schiller — was that Jobs reviewed Apple’s (AAPL) product line up for Macworld — upgrades of iWork and iLife and a 17″ laptop — and decided it wasn’t worth his time. That, says Pogue, not health concerns, is why Jobs had Schiller give the keynote in his stead."

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com...ce=yahoo_quote

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2009, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Ah, I see. Bundled software is a little different, but I agree that recent buyers should get free upgrades when major new versions debut. Apple used to provide Apple Up-to-Date coupons to help customers in those situations.
You consider 4 months "recent" ?

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules