Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook G4 won't sleep

iBook G4 won't sleep
ursus
May 10, 2004, 05:40 AM

Hey all,
I've recently noticed that my otherwise perfectly functioning iBook G4 won't go to sleep. Energy Saver preferences are set to sleep in 5 minutes on battery power and I disconnect ethernet cable and shut down Airport, but it still won't sleep. The screen goes black after the delay specified in Energy Saver, though.

Any ideas on this? Are there any daemons/applications that will keep the computer awake?

Regards,
marcus

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 11:57 AM

Try clicking the apple and going to sleep from there (right above the restart command), if that doesn't work I dont know what to tell ya. By the way doesn't sleep turn your monitor off? Maybe it is working and you dont know what to expect? All I could say is it probably has nothing to do with your airport or ethernet connections.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

ursus  (op)
May 10, 2004, 01:41 PM

Thanks. Putting the machine to sleep via the Apple menu or by closing the lid works without problem. The thing is that it won't sleep with the lid open. I tried trashing the Energy Saver preferences, but to no avail.

I know it's not sleeping, since the pulsating white light doesn't go on, and I hear the hard drive spinning. It sleeps from the login screen, but not when I'm logged in, so there's probably some process that keeps it from going to sleep. I just don't know how to figure out which.

Regards,
marcus

Detrius
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 09:39 PM

First thing to try should be a PMU reset:

Turn the machine off.
shift-ctrl-option-power.
Wait 15 seconds.
Power it up.
set the date & time.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 10:07 PM

Sometimes having external devices attached through firewire or USB will cause it not to go to sleep.

ursus  (op)
May 16, 2004, 07:02 AM

Thanks for the tips, but no change so far. There are no USB peripherals connected to the iBook and the PMU reset didn't help...

Any ideas on daemons or processes that might keep the computer awake?

cheers
marcus

ursus  (op)
May 16, 2004, 07:08 AM

Update on the problem:
I tested iSleep and it worked fine, ie it put the machine to sleep. So why won't it go to sleep by itself?

Jack-iMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2004, 04:16 PM

v wierd
iMac G3 600MHz,
20GB iPod 3G,
and a PowerBook G4 soon i hope!

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
May 17, 2004, 08:47 PM

Ursus, is there any network activity going on? Applications like an ongoing email check or file download will NOT make the iBook go to sleep. For example, an application like Bittorrent or Acquisition will keep the iBook awake long enough for the file transfer to finish.

ursus  (op)
May 25, 2004, 07:37 AM

I always unplug the ethernet connection and shut down Airport so there's no network activity. Mail goes into offline mode, so that can't be the case. The only thing I can think of is Poisoned and the GIFT daemon (though I always shut down Poisoned), can those keep the computer awake? How do I find the processes?

Cheers,
marcus

zepkin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2004, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by ursus:
Hey all,
I've recently noticed that my otherwise perfectly functioning iBook G4 won't go to sleep. Energy Saver preferences are set to sleep in 5 minutes on battery power and I disconnect ethernet cable and shut down Airport, but it still won't sleep. The screen goes black after the delay specified in Energy Saver, though.

Any ideas on this? Are there any daemons/applications that will keep the computer awake?

Regards,
marcus
I'm having the same exact problem as you and have no idea what it can be. I have tried a bunch of things with no luck. I think this all started with the 10.3.4 update but I am not sure. The only thing I have installed recently is SideTrack. I doubt that could be it...

Kelvin
Jun 16, 2004, 07:31 AM

I just got a 14" iBook, my first Mac in about 5 years and my first notebook.

So far sleep is working fine but once I networked my PC to the iBook and had the PC icon mounted on the desktop the iBook wouldn't sleep. The screen would dim and then finally black out but the pulsating LED wouldn't come on and I could hear the harddrive. As soon as I disconnected the PC then the iBook would sleep.

There must be something running in the background to prevent the harddrive from spinning down. Sorry, I'm playing catch up now that I'm using a Mac again and I'm not familiar with troubleshooting these new Macs.

Kelvin

sledsbehave
Senior User
Jun 16, 2004, 11:40 PM

i'm having the sam eproblem with a ibook 600mhz combo drive. it won't sleep once i close the lid. and it gets hot as hell sitting there, not only that, but the battery takes forever to charge during this.

is this 10.3.4 problem?

i can put it to sleep with the lid open, but as soon as i close the lid it wakes back up.
as ever,
sonny

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2004, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by sledsbehave:
i'm having the sam eproblem with a ibook 600mhz combo drive. it won't sleep once i close the lid. and it gets hot as hell sitting there, not only that, but the battery takes forever to charge during this.

is this 10.3.4 problem?

i can put it to sleep with the lid open, but as soon as i close the lid it wakes back up.
This could be a problem with the reed switch board. There is a magnet on the right side of the machine at the optical drive. This triggers a switch in the display when you close the lid. If either of these is not functioning as expected, your machine will not go to sleep when you close the lid.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules