Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > update and dock issues

update and dock issues
NDBounce
Senior User
Apr 14, 2001, 05:02 PM

I updated my OS X with software update. I have noticed a lot of speed improvement. BUT here is a quirk I just discovered.

I usually have the dock on hide and seek mode (ie when I drag the mouse down to the bottom of my screen it shows up, but otherwise it is hidden). I've noticed that I can no longer drag item in to my dock in this mode (or in to the trash, which is the bigger pain) because as I drag an item towards the bottom of my screen, the dock never pops up.

Anyone else experience this? I am running on an iBook rev A 300Mhz

yuriwho
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2001, 05:34 PM

Same thing here on a lombard 333 with 10.0.1

Trying to drag a document to text edit in the dock would not allow the dock to pop-up. The temporary fix is to customize the finder shelf to add the trash and any apps you like to drop files onto (I actually like this better than the dock)

The tinkertool trash on the desktop still works though.

This is a pretty big flaw. To render the dock useless for moving files to is a major f-up by somebody at apple.

Expect another update to the update over this alone.

Cheers,

Y

dbrandt6
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2001, 07:47 PM

No problem here. Dock seems to work well hidden or visible. B&W G3 with 10.0.1 update.
Quicksilver 933, 10.2.2, 1.25 GB Ram, Apple 17" flat panel, HP Photosmart 1215

GhOST51
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2001, 08:36 PM

Same problem here (Pismo 400 4L13 update). Looks like another PowerBook issue!!

Samwise97
Apr 15, 2001, 12:34 AM

I have the same problem (PB Firewire 400, 10.0.1 4L13), and it is very annoying. Temporary solutions are to just turn off hiding for a moment or to open Terminal, type ps -cx to find the Dock and kill it's PID (often have to do this several times before the Dock will return to working properly). But of course it's quite ridiculous to randomly have to go through all this when I just want to drag something to the Dock.

Btw, what do you mean by the "Finder shelf?"

yuriwho
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2001, 01:20 AM

Originally posted by yuriwho:
Same thing here on a lombard 333 with 10.0.1

Trying to drag a document to text edit in the dock would not allow the dock to pop-up. The temporary fix is to customize the finder shelf to add the trash and any apps you like to drop files onto (I actually like this better than the dock)

The tinkertool trash on the desktop still works though.

This is a pretty big flaw. To render the dock useless for moving files to is a major f-up by somebody at apple.

Expect another update to the update over this alone.

Cheers,

Y
Update:

Well, must admit that I jumped the gun.

A reboot fixed the dock problem

Y

yuriwho
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2001, 01:28 AM

Samwise,

by 'finder shelf" I mean the customizable area of the finder that contains computer, home, documents etc. You can drag any application or folder you want to the shelf and then click on it to go there or drop files on it to execute the app. It is one of my favorite things about the finder. I wish they had implemented a full shelf ala Next where you could temporarily drop files, navigate to where you want to put them and drop them off but alas ....work with what you've got.

Yuri

Forum Links
Forum Rules