Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is .mac email very reliable, fast, etc?

Is .mac email very reliable, fast, etc?
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2007, 01:20 AM

I am currently using Comcast for high speed internet. I'm happy with it except for the fact that Comcast only supports pop, not imap. Now that I have a iphone I sync email with it. After doing some research I found out imap is far better than pop when used on multiple devices and eliminates the problem with syncing.
We have Qwest dsl available here with msn and I am going to check with them if they support imap but I think my best option may be able to subscribe to .mac. I know many parts like photocasting I won't use. The iDisk is also too small for me. I've heard Leopard will add features to .mac but I like both the syncing part of .mac and also the fact I get a .mac email address and it is imap.
Since this will replace comcast as my primary email which I use a lot daily for heavy use I am wondering if it's very reliable, works fast, etc. I would set it up on my iphone and in the mail program on my Mac but I want to make sure it's very good before I make the switch.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2007, 03:42 AM

I've been a .Mac mail user since the iTools days. I've never had a problem with speed or reliability.

The "new and improved" .Mac webmail interface was a bummer for me, b/c (prior to the iPhone) I used it to access my e-mail while at work... On old, slow Gateway PCs running an ancient version of IE... Which never ceased to hang on the newly-designed website.

Little did I know, you could use a legacy website to access your .Mac webmail, under the old, circa 2003 interface.

Bottom line: .Mac e-mail is in my book!
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2007, 07:31 AM

I second that. I've also used .Mac as my primary email since the iTools days (albeit behind a forwarder alias from my own domain), and have rarely had stability problems and never speed problems. I wish they would up the attachment limit though (10 MB at the moment).

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2007, 07:52 AM

iDisk is definitely nothing that is regularly described as fast. .Mac e-mail is fine, but .Mac is rather expensive just for mail.

I would seriously consider getting your own domain with IMAP e-mail. It's much cheaper and since it's your own you can surely keep it for the rest of your life.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2007, 01:17 PM

.Mac email is pretty fast, and it's pretty reliable. About a year ago there was a frustrating period where it was offline a fair bit for a couple week period, but I don't recall any issues since then.

Few of the ISPs I know of offer IMAP support. I find it quite nice with .Mac -- I have about 450 MB of email on the server now, and can easily access it from anywhere. I have an ISP account with Comcast but I've never used it. I have it forwarded to my .Mac account actually, so I get an info email from Comcast every couple months.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2007, 01:43 PM

.Mac has had a number of outages, but fortunately I've been spared in that I didn't really notice it. If you're just getting it primarily for email, it's a tad pricey. Much cheaper to go with other web hosting companies, or maybe even getting commercial solutions from Yahoo or Google Mail.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2007, 02:13 PM

Yeah, I've had .mac since its inception and their reliability is good and getting better. I cannot remember when the last outage occurred.

GuillaumeB
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2007, 03:42 PM

Well all those replies are quite encouraging. I actually created a poll few minutes ago about .mac
As for me, as a new mac user I just registered for the free trial
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2007, 05:52 PM

I've used .mac email since 2002 and it's been great ever since.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2007, 10:34 PM

I liked iTools better as it was free.

.Mac is ok, but surely too expensive for email only. imap is great for several computers/places though.

PEPPERRULES
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2007, 01:00 PM

.mac is overpriced, but I still use it. The e-mail is reliable, but they don't give you enough storage.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2007, 01:11 PM

When it first came out it was teh bomb. Now it is somewhat overpriced, but nothing else that I know of works as seamlessly.

PEPPERRULES
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2007, 01:15 PM

Yes, being seamless is actually its main benefit. There is a free trial with limited storage. You should definitely test it out.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2007, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl View Post
I've been a .Mac mail user since the iTools days. I've never had a problem with speed or reliability.

Bottom line: .Mac e-mail is in my book!
Agreed.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules