Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Printer Server

Printer Server
whodisbe
Sep 8, 2002, 09:41 AM

I'm trying to setup a way for my room mate and myself to print from our macs to my printer. My printer (HP 932C) is attached to a windows 2000 server box (our router). The basic layout of our network is cable modem -> win2k server -> switch. The switch connects to all the PCs, as well as to an airport base station. The iBooks connect via the airport base station.

Does anyone know of a way that I can either share the printer and print to it from the iBooks, or make the win2k server a Printer Server and then print to it from the iBooks?

(my room mate's ibook is a wallstreet, and mine is an iBook 2001 500mhz G3 both running 10.2)

fulmer
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2002, 01:35 PM

by switch, you mean... a hub or router of some type?

connect the printer to one of the PCs or Macs on the same LAN. Turn on printer sharing within Windows or Mac OS X 10.2 or OS 9.x. Printers don't share on 10.1.x, and 10.1.x won't see shared Windows printers without DAVE or perhaps another utility.

so if you're using Jaguar (10.2), you should be able to see and print to shared Windows printers or share them from your Mac and have others print to it.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 8, 2002, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by fulmer:
by switch, you mean... a hub or router of some type?
Presumably he means a switch. A switch is like a premium hub, that is, it doesn't share all the available throughput (e.g. 100Mb/sec) among all the connected devices, but rather gives them each a dedicated connection (full-duplex, no less, so that it is, for example, 100Mb/sec in both directions, simultaneously).

Anyway, since both Macs are running 10.2, and the PC is running Win2K, then you can connect the printer to the Win2K box and turn on printer sharing. Then use the IP address of the server for LPR printing in 10.2. It should work.

tooki

fulmer
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2002, 05:59 PM

thanks for the clear-up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules