Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook 17" 1.33 Ghz Memory

Powerbook 17" 1.33 Ghz Memory
Jodar
Dec 3, 2003, 08:49 PM

I'm hesitant to spend $500 for a 1GB module given the fluctuation factors in the market. When do you think will be a good time to buy? 8004memory has a generic module for $447, as of today. Is there really a difference between modules as long as its compatible for your system and is lifetime guaranteed? Is it reasonable to assume that since the module is relatively new that the prices will drop to lower, more reasonable levels of say, $200 or so for the module?

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 09:18 PM

Yep. As soon as the supply side of the market gets saturated with the 1GB modules, the price will drop! I am also waiting (PB 17" 1.33GHz w/ 512MB RAM... It's hard to wait for an additional 1GB!!!)

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2003, 11:50 AM

To answer your question about generic brand equipment, as long as the specs are the same it should work. I just ordered a 256MB module from 18004memory and will get it today. I'll let you know if it works or not after I've installed it.

But, wait until the market gets flooded, if it does. I wouldn't expect 1GB laptop memory to drop down significantly in price though.

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2003, 12:20 PM

i agree. i'm about to 'crucial' myself a 512MB stick until the 1GB sticks are 'cheaper'.

i just used crucial as a verb, ha!

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2003, 02:47 PM

I just installed a 256 chip from 18004MEMORY, generic stick and it's working perfectly, no problems at all.

I doubt there would be any problems with their generic 1GB sticks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules