Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple 'Yosemi-fies' iTunes 12 beta's look for anticipated launch

Apple 'Yosemi-fies' iTunes 12 beta's look for anticipated launch
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 11, 2014, 12:10 AM

The flatter, more minimalist look sported by both iOS 7 and 8 as well as the forthcoming OS X 10.10 Yosemite has reached iTunes, or at least the version currently being beta-tested for imminent release. With OS X Yosemite and iOS 8.1 expected to be unveiled next week at Apple's press event, the music management and storefront application that ties into most users' iOS devices for media access has gained a whiter, flatter interface that does away with shadows and 3D effects in favor of clean lines and subtle buttons.

Storefront in iTunes 11
Storefront in iTunes 11

Storefront in original iTunes 12 beta
Storefront in original iTunes 12 beta

Storefront in iTunes 12 GM
Storefront in iTunes 12 GM

Artist pages also gain a one-color or lightly-shaded motif to make the colorful album listings stand out, but most other sections feature a flat look dominated by white space. Buttons and links are more subtle, with chosen sections offering a bubble of color but most other active links on the page appearing just as words in black or a lighter grey tone, though it is generally obvious where users can click. Small black-on-grey ellipses can point towards additional menus, and icons near the top left divide the various main sections.

iTunes 12 artist page
iTunes 12 artist page

Album art in the main play-bar now toggles the "mini-viewer" rather than having it as a separate button, a change from the previous version that some users will struggle to find. A toggle in the mini-viewer can switch between larger album art and the smaller mini-player.

iTunes 12 mini-player
iTunes 12 mini-player

iTunes 12 Genius recommendations
iTunes 12 Genius recommendations

iTunes 12 music library - album view
iTunes 12 music library - album view

iTunes 12 iTunes Radio
iTunes 12 iTunes Radio

OS2Guy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2014, 02:19 AM

You want the truth? I've been beta testing Yosemite now for the last two months and it is probably the most pleasing easy-on-the-eyes slick interface Apple has ever released for OS X. And the new features are excellent. ITunes is beautiful to look at and a breeze to use. OS X just keeps getting better and better.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2014, 03:06 AM

I'm in general agreement you, OS2Guy. I didn't think I would enjoy it, but I really am so far.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

zxcvbnm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2014, 07:07 AM

Looks good. Nice and smooth but...where did the Alert Me section go?

Salty
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2014, 05:06 PM

You can tweak it to behave more like iTunes 11. But the new top navigation bar still confuses me sometimes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules