Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Upgrading MacBook HD

Upgrading MacBook HD (Page 2)
tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2007, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Gamoe View Post
I was working with video on my Power Mac 6100 back in 1994. I don't think it's anything improper or unusual to use a "non-pro" Mac today to do things the slower, less powerful macs of yesteryear were already doing. Sure, if your business is video, etc., then you might go for a Mac Pro or a MacBook Pro, but that doesn't mean that those of us who can't justify the expense can't be aware of performance and won't want to make the most of our Macs.

Anyway, I just got a MacBook myself. I like the Hitachi drives myself. A Hitachi is the highest rated of the large capacity drives on NewEgg. I'm between the 250GB 5200 HD and the 200GB 7200 HD. Heat does concern me, and numbers aside, I'm wondering how much of a real-world difference it would mean to me. Then again, I wish there were larger capacity drives out there for notebooks and maybe I can make do with the 120GB drive for a while and wait till there are larger faster and more bigger storage options out there to choose from.

I'm coming from an eMac with a custom-installed 160GB drive that's running out of space right now, but to be fair, it's a few unfinished video projects that are taking up a good portion of that space. When I finish, throw away the extra footage and compress the video, it should go back to being a spacious drive, and I could simply employ an additional external HD for such projects. But I've really got no idea when say, 320 or 500GB 5200 or 7200 RPM drives will be available in the 2.5" format, so I'm on the fence now.

well yeah if you're just doing iMovie and mixing consumer video, it doesn't really matter. But if you're at a pro graphics/video house who needs to composite some ungodly gazillion kbps file from an omgsuperduper high end codec with Final Cut or whatever, you're not going to be looking at the Macbook.

mindwaves
Dec 22, 2007, 01:07 AM

What size torx for the macbook drive caddy?

I've read online T8 and T9.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2007, 02:00 AM

It's T-8.

Forum Links
Forum Rules