Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > opinion on selling royalty free images

opinion on selling royalty free images
idyll
Senior User
Jul 13, 2005, 07:39 PM

so, i've been thinking . would it be a good idea to sell over 1000 royalty free, 300dpi, high resolution, .RAW (giving the user total control) images of various subject matters on a nicely packaged dvd or two for about $35, or am i selling myself short here? would it be a bad idea or is that too much? anyway, would anyone here be interested?

i thought about uploading them to istock myself, but seeing as people pay $3 per image there and they are compressed jpgs in most cases, i thought 1000+ .raw images @ $35 would be about right. there are over 1000 images, and since it'll all be on a dvd you can search for it to see thumbnails and everything will be nicely organized in folders as well. you wouldn't really be wading through hundreds of photos.

just an idea that i came across, as veer, for example, sells cds with stock images that aren't as good quality wise and you only get about 100 images for $500+. my images would more than likely fill up two 4gb dvds. the dvds would also be professionaly packaged in a jewelboxing case and the cds would be silver pressed. i'd try very hard to make it a very nice package overall

do you think it has some potential? or could you point me in the right direction and tell me where i may be able to sell them for more than $0.20 a piece? how does the istockpro thing work

though maybe it's a bad idea and i should just scrap it

here is a little preview of the images that would be included:

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2005, 07:43 PM

seems like a good idea. nice photos. but why are you so set on $35? If you've found so many other sets for $500+ for much fewer images, why not sell it for more? People will obviously pay it. I don't have personal experience buying stock images, but $35 seems like a huge bargain for royalty-free images.

"I start fires!"

idyll  (op)
Senior User
Jul 13, 2005, 07:55 PM

think so? i think fewer people would buy if they cost more than $50, whereas more would buy at $35. it would probably cost me $10 per cd to make it, not counting the work that went into it and so on.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 13, 2005, 07:57 PM

Not sure. Might need to post more pics like #4 in order for me to tell.

idyll  (op)
Senior User
Jul 14, 2005, 12:23 AM

i'll be sure to pm 'em to you

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2005, 06:16 AM

Charge what the market will bear, in line with your competition.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2005, 06:56 AM

the question is:

WHO IS GOING TO BUY THEM?

you have customers lined up? if you're dealing with studios and corporate businesses, where's the usage contracts and billing?

why would i buy 1 image over the set? do they have a theme? or are they random?

it sounds like you're amateur at the business end, so just sell them for 35 and see who buys it. if it has sucess, then think about how you can streamline it to actually make money.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jul 14, 2005, 07:07 AM

istockphoto.com

sell them there - no fuzz, no hassle.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2005, 07:50 AM

Agreed with effgee

I never look for CDs or DVDs anymore when I need images. Its just too much clutter. iStockphoto is the answer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules