Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you read subtitles ?

Do you read subtitles ?
Rob Mayol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2006, 10:24 AM

Hey everyone, this is Rob again...

My girlfriend, a friend of us and I are running a podcast video talk-show. As we're french, it is french speaking of course but I wanna know if you'd like to watch subtitled. If we get many positive answers we may do it.

This is the adress of the podcast paste it in iTunes, not in your internet browser :
http://feeds.feedburner.com/lemissiondesminutes

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2006, 10:28 AM

if its not too much effort to add subtitles then why not

Rob Mayol  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2006, 10:31 AM

Well, each month we're gonna have 25 minutes of speech to subtitle so it will take much time. That's why I wanna know if it's worth it...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2006, 10:34 AM

English subtitles for a french podcast ?

I'm not sure if that would be readable on the smal iPod screen. You probably have to chose a large font, which might end up using half the screen space. Could look odd. I dunno...

-t

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2006, 10:35 AM

Most of us non-English speking Europeans are used to subtitles. Most of us don't understand French but read English, so sure, it could work for us.

It does sound like a lot of work, translating and all, but it could really increase your audience, if the stuff is interesting, of course.

J

Rob Mayol  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2006, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777
I'm not sure if that would be readable on the smal iPod screen. You probably have to chose a large font, which might end up using half the screen space. Could look odd. I dunno...
-t
You're right, I have to try it...

Originally Posted by Judge_Fire
It does sound like a lot of work, translating and all, but it could really increase your audience, if the stuff is interesting, of course.
That's exactly the goal !

Keep on telling me if you like the idea or not, not regarding the technical problems...

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2006, 11:13 AM

I'd prefer that you just transcribe it and post it on your website. I wish most podcasts would do this. No offense, but you probably don't have 25 minutes worth of good content, and I don't want to listen for 25 minutes just to get the good 5. With text, I can scan it and read the parts I want to.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
I'd prefer that you just transcribe it and post it on your website. I wish most podcasts would do this. No offense, but you probably don't have 25 minutes worth of good content, and I don't want to listen for 25 minutes just to get the good 5. With text, I can scan it and read the parts I want to.
What's the point of a podcast if you need to be in front of your computer to read the transcription ?

-t

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2006, 11:48 AM

What's the point of a podcast if you need to be in front of your computer to read the transcription ?

-t
Because there is some content in podcasts that I'd like to hear/read. The problem is that podcasts are generally too long and contain junk I don't care about, so I spend 20-30 minutes listening to something and only really caring about 5 minutes of it. With blogs, posts are frequent and short, so it's easy to pick out what you want. With podcasts, people seem to want to make them long and (somewhat) well produced. The reality is that their listeners are probably not interested in all of their content, just some of it. A few nice podcasts actually put the timeslices in the show notes, so I can pick and choose what I listen to.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2006, 11:50 AM

first of all, it's a rather slow download so I gave up. No audio only version?

but in all seriousness, knowing my non French-speaking friends, I can't picture them watching a French podcast with subtitles - screen's too small.

That is unless there were sexy scantily clad mademoiselles...

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2006, 12:27 PM

i think you could read subtitles on an ipod without much difficulty. the screen resolution is good enough

Rob Mayol  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2006, 01:05 PM

@wallinbl :
The 25mn are cut in 7 parts so it's easier to look for something you care more than the rest...

@paul w :
I know that it takes much time to load but sound only didn't interest me. You can't imagine how much work it is to place cameras, edit the image and everything. Morevover there are contents wich would not be interesting at all with sound only.
Well, I have no iPod but I currently watch more than 10 podcasts everyday on my iBook. Whatever, I said that I would try to find solution for that problem.

That is unless there were sexy scantily clad mademoiselles...
Hélène's also starring in the podcast but, nobody's gonna watch the subtitles because of her

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2006, 10:28 AM

I think that it is a great idea Rob. Will be interested to hear of your progress.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Rob Mayol  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2006, 10:33 AM

All right so, everyone who think would watch the subtitled podcast please post "Yeah"

A'ight ?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2006, 11:23 AM

Yeah, mine would be on my Mac via iTunes.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2006, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Judge_Fire
Most of us non-English speking Europeans are used to subtitles.
Well except fot France, Germany, Italy and Spain and probably others as well. Only the more intelligent countries have subtitles

I never understood why films get dubbed. I learned most of my english and german while watching movies/tv-shows and reading the subtitles (in Dutch) when I was young. Dubbing totally kills a movie. I once heard that dubbing is supposed to be cheaper than subtitling but I somehow doubt that.

Ever heard Al Pacino speaking German or French ? Ridiculous.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Rob Mayol  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2006, 11:49 AM

Totally agree, when I say that to "dub people" who don't understant why dubbing is evil, I take the example of a song. I say, can you imagine your favorite singer dubbed ? Well, with an actor it is the same !

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2006, 11:53 AM

And it's not even the voices that get changed. Certain jokes and dialogue go to waste as well. I went to see the latest Harry Potter movie last week with my little brother and sister in France. And it was sooo uninteresting and only semi-funny in French. While I really enjoyed the other Harry Potter movies I saw in English.

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Jan 4, 2006, 01:53 PM

Dubbing is evil. Allez, au front avec la subtitulation!

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
I once heard that dubbing is supposed to be cheaper than subtitling but I somehow doubt that.
Common sense will tell you that this can't be true.

-t

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2006, 02:05 PM

-t
I don't know - in order to do subtitles, you'd have to find someone that could spell correctly, and that might be expensive.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2006, 02:25 PM

-t
Yeah sure. But still I don't think that subtitling is cheap either.

I wonder what the real reason for dubbing is. Is it really just to cater to the average retard ? I can't believe that.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2006, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
I don't know - in order to do subtitles, you'd have to find someone that could spell correctly, and that might be expensive.

-t

Corpse of Chewbacca
Baninated
Jan 4, 2006, 09:11 PM

only is writen in wookie

paul w
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2006, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger

Ever heard Al Pacino speaking German or French ? Ridiculous.
It's usually the same guy that does Cuba Gooding Junior and Jeff Daniels or whatever.

I hate watching some film in French and I'm like - hey that's Chandler from Friends' voice!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules