Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Virtual Instruments in Cubase SX

Virtual Instruments in Cubase SX
Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2004, 03:30 PM

Hi!

I have created a song in Cubase SX that consists of MIDI and audio tracks, and now I would like to be able to play the song without using a keyboard to play the MIDI tracks. My first thought was to use the Quicktime synthesizer, but Cubase doesn't seem to recognize it (I have also tried with the help of a tool called Jack, but can't get it to work). And even if I got this to work, it would probably sound pretty bad, so I wonder if there's a way to play the MIDI tracks with a virtual instrument that uses samples (like in GarageBand). As you might have guessed, my knowledge in that field is not too broad, but I think that this is just what VST instruments are for. There are three of them included with Cubase, but they seem to be limited to electroncal sounds, while I need drums, (e-)bass, piano and maybe some strings. There are many music apps on the market that from reading their description may be suited for this (Reaktor, Traktor, DCota, maybe Reason), but as a newbie I'm not sure if any of these are are really what I'm looking for. Can somebody here give me hint what app or PlugIn I should have a closer look at? Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules