Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Archiving E-mail?

Archiving E-mail?
sinoevil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2006, 04:10 PM

Hi Forum,

I have an e-mail account on AOL, Yahoo, Hotmail, and Gmail, all standard (non-Premium) services. I also have a trial account on .Mac (haven't decided yet whether it's worth the $99/year). I run Apple's Mail app. on my laptop---12" Aluminum PB, 1Ghz. PowerPC G4, OS X 10.4.5. I'm trying to discover the most efficient way for me to archive all of my e-mail from all of the above accounts. I would like to be able to download all of my messages into my hard drive, including all of their accompanying extensions and attachments. It seems like a gigantic and time-consuming project, so I thought I would get some sage advice from the Collective :-) before proceeding further. Has anybody found an application, freeware or otherwise, that could tackle the job? Or perhaps a script that one of you geniuses have written to help us mere mortals cope with digital life? (BTW, I'm Automator-challenged). I would immensely appreciate your input. Thank you in advance for your time...

sinoevil
12" Aluminum PB, 1 Ghz PowerPC, Tiger
17" iMac, 1.8 Ghz PowerPC, Tiger

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2006, 04:47 PM

For the accounts that you can connect to using Apple Mail (this would be GMail and .Mac, most likely), you can just make a new mailbox by selecting "New Mailbox" from the Mailbox menu. Make sure the mailbox is located "On My Mac", then drag all the messages from your other accounts into the mailbox you created. You have now moved all those messages to a local folder on your hard drive, and backing up your ~/Library/Mail folder to a DVD-R will back up all those messages in their original form.

Now for Hotmail and Yahoo, I'm not sure what you would do. My solution is not to use those services.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

sinoevil  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2006, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
For the accounts that you can connect to using Apple Mail (this would be GMail and .Mac, most likely), you can just make a new mailbox by selecting "New Mailbox" from the Mailbox menu. Make sure the mailbox is located "On My Mac", then drag all the messages from your other accounts into the mailbox you created. You have now moved all those messages to a local folder on your hard drive, and backing up your ~/Library/Mail folder to a DVD-R will back up all those messages in their original form.

Now for Hotmail and Yahoo, I'm not sure what you would do. My solution is not to use those services.

I would like to wean myself eventually from Hotmail and Yahoo, but it still leaves me with the question of saving the hundreds of e-mails I have stored in them. Think .Mac is worth it?
sinoevil
12" Aluminum PB, 1 Ghz Power PC, Tiger
17" iMac, 1.8 Ghz Power PC, Tiger

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by sinoevil
I would like to wean myself eventually from Hotmail and Yahoo, but it still leaves me with the question of saving the hundreds of e-mails I have stored in them. Think .Mac is worth it?
Unfortunately, I can't give much useful advice related to Hotmail, Yahoo, or .Mac, since I do not use any of these three services.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules