Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari- Myspace so slow to load. how? why? what gives?

Safari- Myspace so slow to load. how? why? what gives?
Elixir
Apr 10, 2006, 10:06 PM

seriously, i dont understand what it is because i thought my old powerbook just had a shitty graphics card, slow processor or whatever but now even my macbook loads myspace insanely slow.

what gives? my connection is pretty decent. the old ass piece of crap windows pc loads myspace in a giffy. i dont get it?

can anyone else attest to this?

every other site loads super fast.

i also know myspace is always flooded but still like i said the pc runs it fine.

my macbook struggles with it

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 11, 2006, 09:39 AM

What browser are you using, and what version?

You realize that Myspace is probably coded for Windows/IE, don't you; that means that Safari most likely will choke on some part of the fancy stuff they fill the pages of Myspace with.

I've just gone to the main Myspace page using Firefox, and it loaded pretty quickly; have you tried using a different browser?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mgsupport
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2006, 09:44 AM

I would say that myspace is the issue here and not safari. Myspace is a horribly coded site, the page sizes are huge, and things people adding photos to the background and the in-page music player certainly won't help. It could also be the myspace server responding slowly, I just pinged it via the terminal, and it was taking quite a while compared to other sites.
Stuart Frisby

Elixir  (op)
Apr 11, 2006, 12:57 PM

yeah i realize that but windows usually runs it fine.

could it be just coded for IE?

im using safari on my macbook pro.

i thought firefox wasn't out yet for intel?

SLiMeX
Senior User
Apr 11, 2006, 01:10 PM

couchCAMINOcough
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

Elixir  (op)
Apr 11, 2006, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by SLiMeX
couchCAMINOcough

is it good?

better than safari?

doctorb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2006, 06:40 PM

Why would you use myspace ? I know lots of non-teens use it too but I just find the feel and look of Facebook much more appealing! Nothing is more irritating then having neon pink rabbits overlaying an entire page that has black text.

Elixir  (op)
Apr 11, 2006, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by doctorb
Why would you use myspace ? I know lots of non-teens use it too but I just find the feel and look of Facebook much more appealing! Nothing is more irritating then having neon pink rabbits overlaying an entire page that has black text.

well i do use facebook but thats only for college kids.

most people i know are on facebook for whatever reason... its a weird culture we live in, everyone knows what everyone else is up to. there aren't anymore of those odd situations when you come back to your home town and go "oh man what have you been up to? i havent seen u in years"

everyone knows what you are doing.

ok, i'm using camino now, seems a bit quicker but i cant really tell. there are some things i like about it, some i dont. we'll see... not sure if i'm ready to switch from safari.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 11, 2006, 09:32 PM

Try Firefox. Camino has a different rendering engine from the one in Safari, but Firefox's is different from both. The Gecko engine is supposed to be pretty darn fast. If it's really fast under Firefox, then your issue is most likely the browser. If it's only marginally faster, it's something else.

Elixir  (op)
Apr 11, 2006, 10:08 PM

i thought since camino was out firefox wouldn't for intel macs?

i guess not.

firefox is supposed to be the fastest? what was the point in even releasing camino then?

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 12, 2006, 08:40 AM

Different engines do different things better. Camino is native to MacOS, while Firefox is cross-platform. And I'm not stating that Firefox is "the fastest" by any means, just that the Gecko rendering engine that Firefox is based on has been shown to be much faster than IE's (on any platform) or Safari's.

The point is that more data makes it easier to figure out what's going on with your situation. If Camino is fast enough for you on Myspace, keep it, but Firefox is free, effective and a decent alternative to anything.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 12, 2006, 11:51 AM

A lot of the problem is the layouts people use (with excessive transparency, fixed backgrounds, etc), excessive media ( e.g. images; Flash for music, videos, and photos; Windows Media, MPEG and QuickTime movies) and JavaScript that has been written for IE, which then fails or eats up CPU on other browsers.

The fact that Myspace's servers get bogged down during busy times just makes the problem worse, but isn't really the source.

tooki

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2006, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Try Firefox. Camino has a different rendering engine from the one in Safari, but Firefox's is different from both.
Camino and Firefox use the same rendering engine.

mindwaves
Apr 12, 2006, 01:26 PM

MySpace just has too much junk loading. It is probably all of the Windows Media Player stuff loading in the background which Safari really cannot handle well (even with the appropriate plugins) which makes it slow.

cheerios
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2006, 01:31 PM

If you're having significant problems w/ MySpace, consider going over to webkit.opendarwin.org and trying a nightly, or filing a bug, or both even! be sure to read the instructions for how to do so properly first.

Also, yeah, MySpace is FULL of crap. (code-wise, I won't comment content-wise ) I'm not surprised in the least to hear it's slow.
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2006, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Correct. Also, if anyone is running on an Intel Mac you should try the Intel build of Firefox. (DeerPark) The next version (1.5.0.2) will be a UB, but for now they have a branch out that is native.

http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mac:Intel

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 12, 2006, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Really? I was thinking Camino's was something other than Gecko, but now that I actually think about it, I don't know where I came up with that. Must be that mental illness called "college."

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2006, 01:26 AM

A. Safari IS slow. It may be faster at starting up, but the likes of Gecko wipes the floor with it.

B. Many MySpace pages are full of garbage. WMVs, BMPs, scripts, Flash, wildly distasteful layouts, ad nauseam.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2006, 09:19 AM

Basically its just down to how badly coded Myspace is, just looking at the CSS file you can tell the developers don't have a clue what they're doing or how to use things like CSS correctly.
I wouldn't say this is a Safari issue because Myspace is an incredibly badly coded table layout and Safari will most likely be optimised for a modern web site layout which doesn't use tables to position things.
I mean the thing barely works at all, its absolutely pathetic. Then you add to the incredibly bad base coding the really high processor usage flash adverts, the ones they currently have there are also coded pretty badly because they're hardly pushing the boundaries but run pretty slow.

And Bill Gates applauds what they're doing at that conference, makes sense I suppose.

Elixir  (op)
Apr 13, 2006, 09:55 AM

safari is slow i guess but i didn't find camino any faster. i mean it seemed a little faster but i didn't like certain things.

i'll wait for firefox.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2006, 10:03 AM

MySpace is a garbage app written by someone who clearly doesn't understand scale in one of the worst platforms for web apps--cold fusion.

It's amazing that so many people fawn over what is essentially a very lame, ill performing, free homepage maker.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2006, 11:17 AM

Consider it a blessing.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 13, 2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by sushiism
Basically its just down to how badly coded Myspace is, just looking at the CSS file you can tell the developers don't have a clue what they're doing or how to use things like CSS correctly.
I wouldn't say this is a Safari issue because Myspace is an incredibly badly coded table layout and Safari will most likely be optimised for a modern web site layout which doesn't use tables to position things..
Nonsense. Tables are still the vastly more common way to lay things out, and they tend to be fast. Tables vs. CSS has little bearing on rendering speed.

Furthermore, nothing is fundamentally wrong with Myspace's web code.

What IS true is that USERS embed their own custom style sheets, and THOSE often contain tons of insane crap, like layers of transparency, fixed (non-scrolling) page backgrounds, etc that chew up CPU, plus bad JavaScript, plus tons of media files (including those embedded in friends' comments). Unless Myspace removes the ability to use custom stylesheets and embedded media, it's really not in Myspace's control.

Originally Posted by Kristoff
MySpace is a garbage app written by someone who clearly doesn't understand scale in one of the worst platforms for web apps--cold fusion.

It's amazing that so many people fawn over what is essentially a very lame, ill performing, free homepage maker.
Myspace serves a fantastic purpose as a friend tracker. It's not homepages so much as social networking.

tooki

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 13, 2006, 07:12 PM

I've been directed to a few Myspace pages. Mostly they were "enthusiastically" produced but lacked coherence. This happens when you let someone run wild with web construction tools. Eventually people complain to the page owner enough and they change things to be less clunky-or ignore the complaints.

As tooki says, it's purpose is social, not informational, so one can't just dismiss the whole thing because individuals get wacky with their personal pages. It's just that so many of those pages are so full of hard to download and render content, and it looks like Myspace isn't hosted on the fastest of servers.

Rumor
Apr 13, 2006, 07:34 PM

At any given time there are millions of people on myspace. I use Camino and sometimes it hangs up trying to load into the log in screen. Depends on the time of day too. I try to log in late at night, and avoid the rush hour traffic.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Elixir  (op)
Apr 13, 2006, 08:33 PM

but windows computers still run those pages a lot faster.

i guess cuz its written more for IE right?

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 13, 2006, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Elixir
but windows computers still run those pages a lot faster.

i guess cuz its written more for IE right?
DING DING DING!!!! We have a winner!

One of the things about the basis of Myspace's styles is that they're tweaked for IE/Windows. These pages don't load particularly swiftly on Firefox, for example, even on Windows. (I just tried it-I'm using a PC running Firefox right now.)

Think of it as aiming for a lowest common denominator-and missing the mark with a large segment of the potential user community.

24klogos
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2006, 07:27 PM

though I am not a supporter of myspace, and a firm believer that some friendships are meant to fade away and that you're better off picking your dates at a bar. I have to admit having a bogus acount and looking at the idiotic things some people post in there is very entertaining.

So i have suffered the Safari Crisis like many of you. One thing that makes it crash quite often is 50% of the time a WMP video pops up, the browser stalls. You need to force quit WMP and Safari will come back to life, weird but it works - its the actual application not the plug-in.

Also, for all of those that have myspace acounts and want people to see them for whatever reason, please dont add videos, music, mp3's or any photos on your main page (unless you're a hot chick).

Keep it simple and clean if you dont know what the hell you're doing.
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

Forum Links
Forum Rules