Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Can a PPC Mac running linux use non-efi graphics cards?

Can a PPC Mac running linux use non-efi graphics cards?
Gabe86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2009, 06:12 PM

Hello,

I have an older PowerMac G3 Desktop 233Mhz that I want to use as a Linux box. I have done a few things to it, including adding an additional hdd, overclocked the CPU to 300Mhz, added RAM, and installed 10.3.9 via Xpostfacto all on stock hardware, but I'm looking to add a new graphics card and was wondering.

Since I will be running Linux, can I buy a non-efi graphics card that is hardware compatible with the mac, and us it in Linux?

Any info on this would be great. Thanks

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2009, 07:45 PM

Power Macs use Open Firmware - EFI is the Intel Mac firmware standard. That's quite an old Mac, and at this point GPU options are very limited. If you can find a card that works on the Mac side it will probably work on Linux.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Gabe86  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2009, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Power Macs use Open Firmware - EFI is the Intel Mac firmware standard. That's quite an old Mac, and at this point GPU options are very limited. If you can find a card that works on the Mac side it will probably work on Linux.
Good to know thanks. I forgot about open firmware. But I want to know if a PC graphics card will be recognized in Linux on this machine. Or if some hardware conflict will occur as it would on an Intel Mac.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2009, 08:11 PM

Ah, yeah, I'm not entirely sure.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2009, 09:28 PM

No. Regular off the shelf PC graphics cards won't work, EFI graphics cards for Intel Macs won't work. Only cards designed to work with Apple's implementation of OpenFirmware (so cards for OpenFirmware Sun boxes won't work either) will work. Options for any PPC (including G5) are very limited these days. The only thing I can think of for you is a PCI Radeon 7000 Mac Edition which runs about $30 on fleabay and $90 from the few merchants who claim to have one.

What's your goal here? Even a nettop would give you dramatically better performance and compatibility, and the power savings would pay for it in a year.

Gabe86  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2009, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
No. Regular off the shelf PC graphics cards won't work, EFI graphics cards for Intel Macs won't work. Only cards designed to work with Apple's implementation of OpenFirmware (so cards for OpenFirmware Sun boxes won't work either) will work. Options for any PPC (including G5) are very limited these days. The only thing I can think of for you is a PCI Radeon 7000 Mac Edition which runs about $30 on fleabay and $90 from the few merchants who claim to have one.

What's your goal here? Even a nettop would give you dramatically better performance and compatibility, and the power savings would pay for it in a year.
Thanks for the info. I figured it wouldn't be that simple. It is after all a Mac! ; )

No goal really. Just looking for an excuse to use it again. The RAM for it is dirt cheap now and I wanted to see if I could sidestep the ATI 9200 Mac Edition by getting a comparable PC card for a quarter of the price. It's pretty painful with stock graphics running anything beyond 9.2 so the latest Linux must be even worse. I've looked at the 7000... may be my only choice.

Is there a way to reflash the firmware to something else? Anything?
( Last edited by Gabe86; Dec 16, 2009 at 11:34 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
Dec 16, 2009, 10:21 PM

The official answer is the Radeon 7000 or 9200 PCI cards. Neither is made today, so the choices are used cards or flashed cards. The flashing community has both, along with a GeForce FX5200 PCI (OS X only) that may work.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2009, 10:34 PM

Check http://www.old-macs.com/. I was very pleased with the Geforce7800GS SC card I bought from Christian at Old Macs to keep my G5 alive.

Gabe86  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2009, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
The official answer is the Radeon 7000 or 9200 PCI cards. Neither is made today, so the choices are used cards or flashed cards. The flashing community has both, along with a GeForce FX5200 PCI (OS X only) that may work.
Wow, I didn't even know that FX card existed for my machine. I thought the 5200 was an AGP card for the G5?

reader50
Administrator
Dec 16, 2009, 11:13 PM

It was released for the G5 as an AGP card. But the flashing people claim to have developed a modified 5200 ROM that is PCI and AGP compatible. Then flashed it on a generic FX 5200 card.

Gabe86  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2009, 11:27 PM

Thanks Reader, duell, Big Mac. Much appreciated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules