Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Two poster designs: comparisons wanted

Two poster designs: comparisons wanted
Amorya
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2008, 08:08 PM

Hi. I have these two designs for a poster, and I would like to know what are the best and worst features of each design. (I'm interested in a comparison of individual features, as well as the design as a whole.) Any feedback would be welcome.

Please disregard the fact that the information on each one is slightly different.

What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Dual Porpoise
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2008, 08:25 PM

I like that the first one lists by location - that's the most important thing to know.

Thorzdad
Sep 16, 2008, 06:30 PM

Agreed about the listings by location. The addition of the prominent price and phone number (from the second poster) is a good touch.

I seriously, seriously hope that the illustration is merely a rough FPO and not the actual final art, though.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2008, 01:56 PM

I'm not a big fan of Cooper Black, so that ruins the second one for me. I also like the logo breaking the plane at the top there of the first one. Makes it more interactive. But I like the logo layout of the very bottom of the second one better. There ya go! My 2¢!

andi*pandi
Sep 22, 2008, 12:13 PM

I like the first one best, for locations and logos. Also, while price may be important, I think it takes up too much space and breaks up the second. Not sure you need that.

srfdriver22
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2008, 11:31 PM

The first one is better, in my opinion.

The font face is cleaner and easier to read. As mentioned previously, the floating logo is nicer. The flat black is also cleaner. The dark grey generates a "hazey" look.

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2008, 10:32 PM

I like the second one, the bottom strip is much more informative at a glance. I do think the 100% black is the only way to go for background, though....

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 23, 2008, 06:53 AM

Any particular reason the telephone numbers are spaced differently in the two layouts? “02476 572794” versus “024 765 72794”? Isn’t there any sort of ‘standard’ for this in the UK?

If there isn’t, I’d say definitely go with the latter; the former is far too difficult to read.

I’m not a big fan of Cooper, either, but I actually quite like it here, for some reason. Better than the less-personality-than-a-white-wall Helvetica, anyway. Opera does require a slightly bombastic and slightly full-of-itself typeface.

Definitely go with the 100% black, rather than that washed-out grey, too; and definitely go with the location headers, not the date headers. The ‘hanging’ logo of the first design looks better, too, I agree. But the bottom strip of the second is better—there are too many logos everywhere in the first. The second is better gridded/laid out, and far easier to read.

Forum Links
Forum Rules